The New York Post names “…Baby One More Time” as one of the 10 most scandalous and controversial music videos of all time.

Moscow

7 hours ago, FreeBritBrit said:

Bazaar photoshoot put me in trouble in school cuz I was looking at the photoshoot and wooow she was preg. but NAKED

NAKED BRITNEY OMGGG

If only they could see 2020 onwards (WAP, vids and pics like that)

These be the same fools showing us **** and ******* diagrams in class and making us sit through s** Ed classes. The audacity :gunney:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

Can’t believe showing a bit of belly made it one of the most scandalous videos of all time, according to New York Post at least.:squint_meme_sunglasses_pink_stare_squint:

Why don’t we finally admit her incredible talent, the musical and visual excellence and her superstar charisma were the real reasons why every part of the world went nuts over it? :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: Personally I couldn’t give two *** about Christian USA. We’re talking worldwide phenomenon!

Thank you for this. I hate that they reduce everything she brings to the table to a knot on her shirt.

Having said that, younger fans need to realize that back then, that video WAS controversial as it is. She was 17 and super  confident and se/ual, and that school outfit was super rebellious. The thing is that, with Britney, what most people fail to realize or distinguish is that it's not that she WAS rebellious, but she LOOKED rebellious while acting like a girl next door, and that is exactly what bothered or made people uncomfortable (or excited or interested, or all at the same time). People were used to pointing at Madonna and publicly calling her a "b/ch" without hesitating or even questioning it, but with Britney that wasn't possible or it didn't feel right because of her age and overall sweet demeanor. You know, Lolita vibes.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

Thank you for this. I hate that they reduce everything she brings to the table to a knot on her shirt.

Having said that, younger fans need to realize that back then, that video WAS controversial as it is. She was 17 and super  confident and se/ual, and that school outfit was super rebellious. The thing is that, with Britney, what most people fail to realize or distinguish is that it's not that she WAS rebellious, but she LOOKED rebellious while acting like a girl next door, and that is exactly what bothered or made people uncomfortable (or excited or interested, or all at the same time). People were used to pointing at Madonna and publicly calling her a "b/ch" without hesitating or even questioning it, but with Britney that wasn't possible or it didn't feel right because of her age and overall sweet demeanor. You know, Lolita vibes.

I appreciate your perspective, too. :ohdear_britney_glory_dear,_fingers_hand_face_orange_hide_uh_oh:  I guess this explains why adults were always so triggered at least in the US.

I was an infant when it came out, and I wasn’t shocked by the way she dressed, it never crossed my mind. I don’t think anyone I knew had that reaction. Plus her audience was mostly kids and I doubt they were shocked either. It’s a music video, not reality. I think some people have very thin skin, especially Americans… For me, two videos that were uncomfortable to watch as a kid were DLMBTLTK and Toxic, because the intimacy was very explicit. On the other hand BOMT was just a lot of fun. :otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

The only shocking bit for me was not understanding the context of ‘hit me…’. It’s just not something we say in the UK with regards to contacting somebody and I think we took it quite literally to begin with haha.

I was like why does this girl want someone to hit her… again. And why’s she calling them baby 😂😂

I watched in amazement the first time I saw the video.