Aaliyah’s self titled Album out on ALL streaming services TODAY

rik

21 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

So I found out Barry and Diane haven't talked to each other in 20 years since her funeral. 

She's pissed as They shot More than a woman a week before, the tragic events was to happen, aaliyah performed that track on Jay Leno, what would be her final live performance of her lifetime..

But, Barry being under a distribution deal with Virgin, was forced to shoot Rock the boat as Summer and sensuality go more together. 

So it seems the animosity is one sided as a mother hasn't been able to properly grieve.

Remember Diana sued everyone including her own brother in a wrongful death lawsuit for her daughter..

Barry, even said Diane unlike Rashad has never been able to move on from the events and that sadness is a forever anger.  Aaliyah wouldn't like that. 

You mourn, and accept it and move on, not turn it into a grudge like she did. 

Diane is an interesting case. I think she knows what fans want but is still very much in this mourning stage as well. I’m familiar with her lawsuits but didn’t realize she filed a wrongful death suit against Barry. It is intense, it’s heart breaking really… but there’s also something very irritating about how the estate (CMG which represents Rashad and Diane) had no issue making money off her name when it came to perfumes and stuff, but want absolutely nothing to do with the roll out of her music unless they get higher percentages? Weird. 

5 minutes ago, DollyParton said:

Based on WHAT? :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

I’ve heard from other fans who were around for the end of her career (th erg are a minority of fans and actually prefer other artists to Aaliyah so maybe that’s something) and believe she wouldn’t be successful because pure RNB isn’t a thing anymore. But tbh, Aaliyah was moving more towards pop anyway nearing the end and likely would’ve found so much success with the matrix sequels, even if they were critically panned. She was booked for films until 2008. she would have likely found similar success to Justin Timberlake because she was already huge with Black audiences, and had just the year prior gone to #1 on the billboard hot 100 in 2000 for try again based solely on airplay. 

@Jefferson Silva, I personally think timbaland wave from 2006-2009 would’ve been huge for Aaliyah to follow. not to mention, the Missy Elliot era of success in the early 2000s as well. 

• Like 1

Justin 2006 albums beats borrowed heavily from The self titled album, people listening for the first time saying despite being 20 years old, if it came out today it would still sound relevant. So we have aaliyah to thank for the Weeknd's original sound before he went pop and mainstream success aka selling out on his original artistry which was darker and more ***ually explicit..

Plus drunk in love owes a lot to that aaliyah album as well.

Plus @Rik not many people know she was going to work with nine inch nails due to What If which was the standout track as it was very Rock based. Unlike the rest of the album..

16 hours ago, nwonder said:

I’ve had Rock the boat, Extra Smooth, Read between the lines on repeat. They still sound so fresh.

The whole album is masterpiece tho

:yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

It’s incredible. Those are also amongst my favourite songs. Do you like I Care 4 u? It was originally recorded in 1996 but didn’t make the cut for one in a million because it was already released. Are u getting the vinyls? I own an original pressing but opened it last year (so stupid of me)

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Rik said:

I’ve heard from other fans who were around for the end of her career (th erg are a minority of fans and actually prefer other artists to Aaliyah so maybe that’s something) and believe she wouldn’t be successful because pure RNB isn’t a thing anymore. But tbh, Aaliyah was moving more towards pop anyway nearing the end and likely would’ve found so much success with the matrix sequels, even if they were critically panned. She was booked for films until 2008. she would have likely found similar success to Justin Timberlake because she was already huge with Black audiences, and had just the year prior gone to #1 on the billboard hot 100 in 2000 for try again based solely on airplay. 

@Jefferson Silva, I personally think timbaland wave from 2006-2009 would’ve been huge for Aaliyah to follow. not to mention, the Missy Elliot era of success in the early 2000s as well. 

Exactly, she could have been evolved.

3 hours ago, Rik said:

It’s incredible. Those are also amongst my favourite songs. Do you like I Care 4 u? It was originally recorded in 1996 but didn’t make the cut for one in a million because it was already released. Are u getting the vinyls? I own an original pressing but opened it last year (so stupid of me)

Oh wow I had no idea it was recorded in 96. Love the bluesy sound of it and her vocal runs at end are sensational!!

I’m not big into vinyls tbh but the album is soo gorgeous that it would be tempting 

:)

It’s funny, I never really liked Rock the boat  that much when I was younger and now it’s one of my favourites 

12 minutes ago, nwonder said:

Oh wow I had no idea it was recorded in 96. Love the bluesy sound of it and her vocal runs at end are sensational!!

I’m not big into vinyls tbh but the album is soo gorgeous that it would be tempting 

:)

It’s funny, I never really liked Rock the boat  that much when I was younger and now it’s one of my favourites 

Please please please get it if you can. It’s legit just a gorgeous piece to own and I genuinely think you could just hang it up if you don’t wanna listen to it. You only …. Live once honestly

also yes!! It’s true about I care 4 u 

have you seen this btw, the song Shakin that was being mixed just days after her death. Her former drummer on the red album recently posted this 

Very chilling.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Rik said:

Thank you so so much! I genuinely am so grateful. Also- just praying we don’t get features either. 

Why not get the following for the “new” Aaliyah music. First of all scrap TI, scrap Future (unless ur releasing future as a stand alone single for his record then fine- will be good for hip hop)

Get Kendrick Lamar, ******* legend and a ***** better ******* do that **** right now. Do that duet poetic justice type ****

Get Drake for obvious reasons. Enough said was good. Less drake tho, more Aaliyah. 

Get Kanye for one song not as a feature, but as a producer. He’d do insane stuff for a solo Aaliyah track. Trippy acid rock hip hop. 

And where are the girls? Aaliyahs a girls girl. 

Get Janet, get Sade on the record too. 

Get Missy, get Timbaland 10000%

And most of it should be solo. Drake also owns much of static majors melodies

It really was good! I’m looking forward to rewatching it in a few days. I saw a few others before this one but they were too long and didn’t cover as much content as yours.

I know right?! What is the point of adding a bunch of people Aaliyah didn’t get to know? There are lots of artists she admired and cited as influences like Janet and Sade which you mentioned, they could start there.

Enough Said was good but after his R Kelly sample I think it would be a bit insensitive to bring him into the mix. It’s just what Barry would do though :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block