Romeo Must Die Soundtrack featuring Aaliyah, Destiny’s Child, and more re-released on streaming services today!

rik

for the first time in 21 years, fans of Aaliyah will be able to stream the soundtrack of her first ever film, executively produced by Timbaland, and currently distributed by EMPIRE.

Romeo Must Die is a film starring Aaliyah and Jet Li that released in the summer of 2000. It was Aaliyah’s debut film. Other stars include rapper DMX. It tells the story of a crime lord’s son that grows aliking to their competitor’s daughter. It is loosely based upon Romeo and Juliet but gravitates towards other themes like martial arts, hip hop, football, and dancing. The film was produced by the Matrix producers, thus why it’s special effects and emphasis on martial arts was compared to that of the Matrix (the sequels of which which Aaliyah was also scheduled to star in prior to her death at the age of 22 in a plane crash in the Bahamas).

Here is Aaliyah at the premiere. 

The film was accompanied by an incredible soundtrack featuring the likes of several popular groups and artists. It was also one of Timbaland‘s first opportunities to produce a variety of artists for a big feature film. Here are some of my favourites from this now classic, but since forgotten soundtrack. 

try again was the first song to EVER go #1 on the billboard top 100 solely based on airplay. It was the lead single for the soundtrack. 
Other highlights 

Destiny’s Child- Perfect Man

We At it Again- Timbaland and Magoo

Aaliyah- I don’t Wanna 

I really recommend everyone check this soundtrack out. For years Blackground records and the estate were in disputes over the release of Aaliyah’s music and Blackground’s catalogue. a few weeks ago it was announced that the catalogue, including Aaliyah’s music would be released to streaming services in the order that they were released. This is very exciting for Aaliyah fans despite disputes over whether the artists previously signed to Blackground will receive payment. 

Romeo Must Die’s soundtrack is available to stream on all streaming platforms today!

I get further into her legacy’s disappearance and why people don’t know her music today in a documentary that took me a year to complete. I interview fans as well to talk about the impact and Britney also makes a few guest appearances in the footage I show from around that time. I’d really appreciate if you could check it out too if u have the chance! This video features our very own, @Malibu.D.Luxx💛

• Love 5
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, boyinthemirror said:

Aaliyah’s songs were such highlights. :brityes_britney_yes_nodding: I don’t even remember the rest of the soundtrack so looking forward to revisiting it.

Omg literally one of my favourite soundtracks though. I know we’re supposed to be streaming drake today cuz of certified lover boy but fr I paid money earlier this year to buy an original pressing thinking it would never be released again. I was wrong *****. 
but these are cool songs too honestly 

official video btw. waiting for the remaster 

EMPIRE is taking tracks down rn which to post then to specific official pages now via Google. It’s interesting because these videos have basically been up for years. Also might explain why I had to edit my video down a bit after it was taken down 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Rik said:

Omg literally one of my favourite soundtracks though. I know we’re supposed to be streaming drake today cuz of certified lover boy but fr I paid money earlier this year to buy an original pressing thinking it would never be released again. I was wrong *****. 
but these are cool songs too honestly 

official video btw. waiting for the remaster 

EMPIRE is taking tracks down rn which to post then to specific official pages now via Google. It’s interesting because these videos have basically been up for years. Also might explain why I had to edit my video down a bit after it was taken down 

Omg!! I love Rose in a Concrete World and Joe! How could I forget?

If it makes you feel better, I think that was a good purchase. It would give me some peace of mind to have that first pressing because supporting Barry’s current endeavors is not very motivating :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: Thankfully I bought her studio albums years ago but I’m salivating over the compilations and merch t-shirts ngl :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

Oh yeah, I heard that Barry is uploading the “remastered” videos and taking down fanmade 4k videos that were way better. Honestly the remastered videos don’t look that HD on my phone and computer so I’m confused…

Did you hear of Drake sampling R Kelly on that new album? He’s got a big storm coming :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

38 minutes ago, boyinthemirror said:

Omg!! I love Rose in a Concrete and Joe! How could I forget?

If it makes you feel better, I think that was a good purchase. It would give me some peace of mind to have that first pressing because supporting Barry’s current endeavors is not very motivating :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: Thankfully I bought her studio albums years ago but I’m salivating over the compilations and merch t-shirts ngl :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

Oh yeah, I heard that Barry is uploading the “remastered” videos and taking down fanmade 4k videos that were way better. Honestly the remastered videos don’t look that HD on my phone and computer so I’m confused…

Did you hear of Drake sampling R Kelly on that new album? He’s got a big storm coming :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

I honestly have a bone to pick more so with her brother and mother tbh. They can release makeup lines but not the actual music on her behalf, and have the audacity to complain about how they “stand with Aaliyah” (they started a hashtag to protest the streaming) despite agreeing to a percentage with the EMPIRE deal. And prior to this for a long time, Diane Haughton didn’t want the music out. 
there’s more in my video! I do agree though that purchasing Romeo must die was really a good purchase. I won’t be ordering the reissue though. I am getting a bunch of other stuff though. 

2 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

One of the best movie soundtracks of all time. :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

So so  so  good right?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I can finally stream Slay Again :mae_fire_explosion_dead_spiderman_old_woman:

Can you believe we couldn’t before?? You’d think it would be on other soundtracks 

I’m glad they’re releasing this all in the order it came out too using the same advertisements. It’s nostalgic? It’s wonderful 

did you see the time square advertisements? They’re putting them up right across where she did TRL back in the day.

@boyinthemirror

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block