Olivia Rodrigo grew up thinking only white girls could be pop stars

5 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

All of them had pop hits played in pop radios hence they were pop stars. They had the massive appeal of a pop star, too. Pop stands for popular. You are putting them aside just because they’re black. :jtum_justin_timberlake_surprised_wow_um_blink_eyebrows_shocked: Their music is incredibly mainstream, it’s not like they’re Bjork or D’Angelo.

not really aaliyah is a rnb artist lol ask anyone.

Yes you could say to a certain extent she was a pop star in a sense as she was popular but her music itself was rnb and it was her last album n her last 2 years of her life with her movies etc that catapulted her into that bigger limelight but it's still a full fledged rnb album.... n every album b4 was was considered rnb she will always be considered an rnb artist.  And this is what Olivia I think meant 

the typical default formula of a pop girl is white and or usually blonde. Other artist may dabble here n there and make pop hits Bc that's what's trendy in music but mostly except for a few will always still be considered an rnb artist unfortunately. When u think pop girl you think white/blonde that was just the typical formula..we not gonna sit here n act like that wasn't American pop music that Britney started n everyone trynna have a clone for years and years or emulate her. And given that Olivia is 18 that's what she prob grew up looking at on tv.

you'd have 8-10 random pop girls would pop up to 2-3 pop girls of color if that.
But to me Olivia is still very white passing so yes she makes a point but her argument is better suited for someone like normani/tinashe who I believe said they've been wanting to make str8 up pop but there always unfortunately catogrized differently based on thier race. but also does Olivia even really she even sing pop? Again just like Aaliyah very popular but they aren't pop stars...

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block