Olivia Rodrigo grew up thinking only white girls could be pop stars

I'm no fan of this little girl. But can we stop dragging and criticizing everything a CHILD who's probably not even 18 yet says and does. She's young, she's probably going to say dumb ish every now and again, she's still learning and navigating through life. What's more disturbing is grown folks tearing this young girl apart over some dumb comments. The media and a big part of the public did that to Britney when she was younger, let's start being nicer to the new generation of young girls in the industry :sneer_purple_hat_smile_smirk_there_tree_:

• Love 2

What kinda doesn't make sense to me is she's not a pop star, she's pop/rock with some grunge and alt influence, she's more like Avril kinda but more angsty from what I presume. So like..... how do pure pop musicians have anything to do with it? Like there are POC artists like Rihanna who are more of a pop star than Olivia has ever demonstrated. 

6 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

God, it’s *~*brutal*~* out here Brutal GIF by Olivia Rodrigo

:shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

Okay this is kinda unrelated but is it just me hearing this song is so corny? Like it's so poorly written and it comes across as dramatizing normal teen angst as this huge revolting experience in your life but as an angsty teen, for me it's not. :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

Like the catty teen girls in my Junior High come up with better-worded gossip than some of these lyrics. :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Email My D said:

I'm no fan of this little girl. But can we stop dragging and criticizing everything a CHILD who's probably not even 18 yet says and does. She's young, she's probably going to say dumb ish every now and again, she's still learning and navigating through life. What's more disturbing is grown folks tearing this young girl apart over some dumb comments. The media and a big part of the public did that to Britney when she was younger, let's start being nicer to the new generation of young girls in the industry :sneer_purple_hat_smile_smirk_there_tree_:

literally this, imagine being a grown a.s.s. adult getting upset over what a teenager said like it really matters at the end of the day :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle: she said something dumb but clearly no one in this thread has EVER done that :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

• Love 2
  • Exhale+
11 hours ago, waynebradybyday said:

Let’s be real, most acts considered pop have always been white. Normani has pretty much said the same as her, there was no one that looked like her growing up and that you’ll see her Black face singing a pop record. In terms of the most recent generation, mid to late 2000s of pop, Rihanna is probably one of the few major acts who is often categorized as pop, but even she isn’t pigeonholed to just pop, same with Beyonce. So in terms of someone strictly being considered pop looking like her, I kind of agree. The face and sound of pop has changed with this most recent generation of acts like Billie, Olivia and Lil Nas X.

But she looks no different than any other white pop star whether you put her in today vs early 2000s. Like, at all. 

• Super Mods
4 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Okay this is kinda unrelated but is it just me hearing this song is so corny? Like it's so poorly written and it comes across as dramatizing normal teen angst as this huge revolting experience in your life but as an angsty teen, for me it's not. :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

Like the catty teen girls in my Junior High come up with better-worded gossip than some of these lyrics. :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

Literally wouldn’t know and only heard that snippet in an Instagram video and it sounded horrendous :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle:

• Haha 1

🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻

20 hours ago, bas che said:

ones of Latino origin like Selena, Demi and Ariana. 

not ariana😭

also tho, i get it, but also try and name one popstar that isnt american.... as someone who isnt from north america it sucks that all media is just north america

like the rest of the world isnt represented ever but nobody complains

15 hours ago, Soysaucechicken08 said:

Aaliyah is pop? No lol 

Ciara didn't start out as pop n her biggest hits are rnb..

beyonce isn't a good blend but ppl would categorize her as mostly rnb..

Janet n Rihanna would b the only women who u could b pop pop but them 2 compared toooo sooo many white women who are come n go that are pop... 

All of them had pop hits played in pop radios hence they were pop stars. They had the massive appeal of a pop star, too. Pop stands for popular. You are putting them aside just because they’re black. :jtum_justin_timberlake_surprised_wow_um_blink_eyebrows_shocked: Their music is incredibly mainstream, it’s not like they’re Bjork or D’Angelo.

23 hours ago, waynebradybyday said:

Let’s be real, most acts considered pop have always been white. Normani has pretty much said the same as her, there was no one that looked like her growing up and that you’ll see her Black face singing a pop record. In terms of the most recent generation, mid to late 2000s of pop, Rihanna is probably one of the few major acts who is often categorized as pop, but even she isn’t pigeonholed to just pop, same with Beyonce. So in terms of someone strictly being considered pop looking like her, I kind of agree. The face and sound of pop has changed with this most recent generation of acts like Billie, Olivia and Lil Nas X.

Brandy

Mya

Aaliyah

Samantha Mumba

Selena C

Selena G

Mariah

Paula

NIcole S

Gloria

Shakira.

Beyonce

etc

YES we need more diversity and representation. Celebrate others achievements. 

• Love 1
On 9/1/2021 at 5:32 AM, boyinthemirror said:

Maybe she only admired white pop stars :boredashell_pink_britney_hmm_blink_well_umm:

Ever since she was born and a few decades before that, for every white pop star there were several black pop stars just as big right there among them. You CAN’T tell me Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Beyoncé & Destiny’s Child, Rihanna, TLC, the freaking CHEETAH GIRLS, Sugababes, Usher, Toni Braxton, Aaliyah, Brandy, Monica, Samantha Mumba, Shakira, Selena Quintanilla, Ciara, Christina Milian, Leona Lewis, Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Nicole Scherzinger, etc, weren’t POP STARS!

Also let’s not act like the Philippines and other asian countries don’t have their own pop stars… Girl you had Google right? I was jamming to BoA at 13.

Girl, you left me shaking, and that post wasn't even aimed at me :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

Girl, you left me shaking, and that post wasn't even aimed at me :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

I went overboard but I didn’t like what she said :rihannayas_weave_pull_cocky_smirk_proud: Acting like so many incredible POC artists weren’t hand in hand with Madonna, Britney, Gaga, etc. Homegirl should do some digging, I’m always up to discovering new artists too it’s not like I’m an expert :cuteidk_britney_excited_laugh_yes_yas_happy_smile:

To be fair, music just stopped being categorized by race in the United States a few years ago (15-20 years give or take). POP did mean WHITE, not just popular music. There were only a handful of artist that were able to blend and cross those lines with their music in the 80s and 90s and not be forced into one category of music. The music business is very political.

It was just easier to sell artist with certain ethic backgrounds with certain types of music, whether or not that was the type of music that they did. Honestly they still do that today, even with movies and tv shows. If you have a majority of actors within in one ethnicity, it becomes that kind of show. They still believe in pandering to certain communities to push whatever they're selling.

A great example of this was Mariah Carey. They went out of her way to hide her black facial features and make her music sound less rnb to sell her to a more white audience.

And then they did the opposite with Justin Timberlake when they started to realize that not only white people enjoyed NSYNCS music. They pushed him to the front and released the only RnB singles on the Celebrity album once they realized that pop music wasn't selling the same anymore. Suddenly Nsync was on exclusively black and rnb radio and BET. Suddenly every love interest in his videos was a woman of color or racially ambiguous. 

It just became easier for POP radio and Tv to just start playing all types of music, all while still categorizing it as something "different" from Pop. Even though theres almost no genre of music that isnt mixed with another nowadays.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Onyx_Zone-89 said:

There was literally beyonce, Janet jackson, aliyah, rihanna,  Ciara etc. . . Let's be real,  YOU only focused on the white ones.  I've never once thought of pop stars as only white

Beyonce is popular but she's not considered a pop artist. Janet Jackson, Aaliyah and Ciara? None of them are strictly pop. Ciara's last Top 10 on the Hot 100 was Love s** Magic in 2009 w/ Justin Timberlake. Also, Olivia Rodrigo was born in 2003. For the most part the only non-white pop stars in the most recent generation would be at best Rihanna and Beyonce, and even to some degree, they were before her time. And I forgot about her, but Selena Gomez, too and she is more recent.