Olivia Rodrigo grew up thinking only white girls could be pop stars

First of all, she must have missed X-Tinas “blaccent” phase which is a shame in itself.. also who actually knew Olivia was Asian? She doesn’t look Asian.. she looks like every other pop star young, thin, beautiful and dare I say… white. So i have no idea who she’s inspiring based on her look because hun, you look just like everyone else in the pop industry :trash_throw_away_recycle:

• Haha 2
  • Like 5

Ummmm can we talk about the elephant in the room here which has me, a mixed male, yelling internally?

YOU LOOK WHITE. you have single handedly benefitted from looking how you do. As unfortunate as it is people will see her white skin and features before they see anything else and until she said something recently about her Filipino heritage no one would have known. She’s now using this to play herself to be something more than she is not  sorry  

to act like all she saw were white pop stars is absolutely blasphemy and she knows it. 🤢

• Love 2
  • Like 5

Maybe she only admired white pop stars :boredashell_pink_britney_hmm_blink_well_umm:

Ever since she was born and a few decades before that, for every white pop star there were several black pop stars just as big right there among them. You CAN’T tell me Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Beyoncé & Destiny’s Child, Rihanna, TLC, the freaking CHEETAH GIRLS, Sugababes, Usher, Toni Braxton, Aaliyah, Brandy, Monica, Samantha Mumba, Shakira, Selena Quintanilla, Ciara, Christina Milian, Leona Lewis, Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Nicole Scherzinger, etc, weren’t POP STARS!

Also let’s not act like the Philippines and other asian countries don’t have their own pop stars… Girl you had Google right? I was jamming to BoA at 13.

• Love 5
  • Like 2

Let’s be real, most acts considered pop have always been white. Normani has pretty much said the same as her, there was no one that looked like her growing up and that you’ll see her Black face singing a pop record. In terms of the most recent generation, mid to late 2000s of pop, Rihanna is probably one of the few major acts who is often categorized as pop, but even she isn’t pigeonholed to just pop, same with Beyonce. So in terms of someone strictly being considered pop looking like her, I kind of agree. The face and sound of pop has changed with this most recent generation of acts like Billie, Olivia and Lil Nas X.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, waynebradybyday said:

Let’s be real, most acts considered pop have always been white. Normani has pretty much said the same as her, there was no one that looked like her growing up and that you’ll see her Black face singing a pop record. In terms of the most recent generation, mid to late 2000s of pop, Rihanna is probably one of the few major acts who is often categorized as pop, but even she isn’t pigeonholed to just pop, same with Beyonce. So in terms of someone strictly being considered pop looking like her, I kind of agree. The face and sound of pop has changed with this most recent generation of acts like Billie, Olivia and Lil Nas X.

There was literally beyonce, Janet jackson, aliyah, rihanna,  Ciara etc. . . Let's be real,  YOU only focused on the white ones.  I've never once thought of pop stars as only white

• Love 1
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

I think ppl are being harsh on her. I get what she’s saying, obviously there are stars like Rihanna, Beyonce, Janet, Whitney, etc who cross over into pop, but they’re still consisted “RNB” by a lot of ppl. None I can think of off the top of my head have really stuck to just pop. I think when most ppl think “pop star” they think Britney, Gaga, Madonna, Katy Perry, Xtina, etc. I mean I don’t consider Beyonce pop at all anymore and when Destiny’s child started out, they were very RNB. So I get what her point was, even if she didn’t communicate it very well. There have definitely been huge POC musicians with pop songs, but most of them have been considered rnb or hip hop, or Latin or tejano, or some other genre primarily. No one is going to call Madonna a rock artist or Lady Gaga an rnb singer. It is all kinda racist the labels put of artists due to their race, that’s the way it’s been for a long time 

This entire thing right here. Ty 👏👏👏

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Onyx_Zone-89 said:

There was literally beyonce, Janet jackson, aliyah, rihanna,  Ciara etc. . . Let's be real,  YOU only focused on the white ones.  I've never once thought of pop stars as only white

Aaliyah is pop? No lol 

Ciara didn't start out as pop n her biggest hits are rnb..

beyonce isn't a good blend but ppl would categorize her as mostly rnb..

Janet n Rihanna would b the only women who u could b pop pop but them 2 compared toooo sooo many white women who are come n go that are pop... 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block