Thoughts on album sequencing?

Are there any Britney albums where you can't help but think the track sequencing is just not what it should be? I have a couple things I would change across a few of the albums, but I really feel that way about Circus. I think they shoved the two best songs to the front, and it doesn't do anything to add to the overall album or the emotion/momentum that it should be building. By the time the B-side songs come around, I just don't think they are as effective as they could be if they were sequenced differently. Below is a track listing I think would've been better.

1. Circus

2. If U Seek Amy

3. Lace and Leather

4. Womanizer

5. Mannequin

6. Out from Under

7. Shattered Glass

8. Kill the Lights

9. Unusual You

10. Blur

11. Phonography

12. Amnesia

13. Rock Me In

Note: I got rid of Mmm Papi and My Baby because I think the album is stronger without them. I also didn't include Radar since I see it as much more of a Blackout song than a Circus song. And of course, I included Amnesia :)

I think Circus is a much better opener to the album than Womanizer. Womanizer is better as a single that comes a few songs in, when energy has been built up. Additionally, I REALLY like the transition between Lace and Leather and Womanizer when you listen to them back to back. I think this sequencing is effective, is a fun listen, and helps bolster the album as a whole. Let me know what you think!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting question tbf, but I actually feel most of her album tracklistings are pretty consistent for the most part. I do think, however, on Circus the title track should have been the opening song. Then Kill the Lights as track two and Womanizer as track three, but then the rest of the album would be as it usually follows. Womanizer while a great lead single doesn't really work as an an album opener in the same way Circus (song) could have.