Olivia Rodrigo gets racist hate for opening up about being asian

• Leader

Olivia Rodrigo is an American of Filipino descent. She opened up about it in a new interview and is now getting a wave of backlash. Super annoying.

There's way worse ones that I didn't include as well. I honestly don't understand certain aspects of Internet culture. Why literally be racist? 

Via ATRLor2.jpg.46a98406ab5ebceb0937944e37813865.jpg

Related:

Yikes, that's a touchy subject. While there is definitely a certain level of privilege that comes with being able to pass as white in the Western world, I've heard quite a lot of mixed people say that it's actually harder because they don't fully fit in on either side of their heritage (for example, too Asian for white people while also being too white for Asian people). :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: Either way, this kind of discourse is so weird and uncomfortable because it literally makes it sound like people need to be purebred to be valid, which is so gross. :byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette: Bold statement, but it's giving me slight Hitlerish vibes. :new_york_breathless_uncannyxman:

• Love 3
  • Like 4

At first I was like "she don't even look Asian" but I remembered that a lot Filipino people don't have typical asian features. Their eyes are wider, lips are fuller, face is more squared, and they sound different when speaking English compared to those born in mainland China, Korea, and Japan.

Filipino people are 'Asian' in sense that 'India' is a part of Asian; making people from 'India' Asian, even though the majority of them don't look like what we immediately perceive as Asian.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I guess what the first person is trying to say is she’s “white passing” AKA benefits from the privileges of being white. Isn’t her mom white? :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare: the other comments are just two trolls picked out of the swamp. Every artist has these trolls. I do think it’s a PR move for the songwriting scandal, but who knows 

I'mma google it anyway, but what happened with the songwriting scandal? Was it on a Beyonce "If I were a boy" level (where she stole the whole song from myspace and said she wrote it)? OR was it more like Christina Agulara buying the song and then just adding her name to make it seem like she wrote it?

• Haha 3

Leave my girl alone now!

Mixed people are constantly disrespected and made to feel like they don't belong anywhere. Stop the hate and stop trying to invalidate people just because they're white passing. Yes, she benefits from that but does that mean she can't acknowledge her Asian half? No ,it doesn't. 

Leave the girl alone ffs. :holduplisten_hold_up_listen_preach_telling_wisdom_wise:

• Love 4

You North American people pay waaaay too much attention to this stuff. If you b/tches think that gender is a construct, I think race is another one. Yeah of course we all look different, but everything goes down hill the moment you put a label on it.

And she's a teen, let her breath, go after the big bish, for example go cancel Kanye for once.

• Love 2
  • Like 3
On 8/27/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jordan Miller said:

Olivia Rodrigo is an American of Chinese-Vietnamese descent.

@Jordan Miller She's Filipino-American not Chinese-Vietnamese

@Slayer @Urbanney @CrazyButItFeelsAllright @PokemonSpears Do any of you have the ability to edit the OP? I think he might not be able to see my comment, I'm also curious for future reference :selenerz_selena_crying_tears_sad:

EDIT: Thank you!

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, dirk said:

I don't get the obsession of America over their ascendants, America from South to North is mixed and everyone has feelings and have needs just like every human :clownery_makeup_meme:

one day we'll all be like the same, no geopolitical barriers

Yes, that's how it should be! 

Like everyone should stop categorizing people, the same with these questions about their "racial-identity", come on... 

I know it's a thing in the US, but it's such a strange concept to me. :clownery_makeup_meme:

American is american, that's it. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block