What was your reaction to the Hold It Against Me music video?

To be honest, I really enjoyed the visuals, the song was my all time favorite off the album. anyway, the opening had me on the endge of my carpet. i was sitting on the floor right in front of my computer to soak it all in. I had to buy radiance when she reatured it in the video. omg you have no idea when i tell you i went out and bought the damn bottle right after lol.

the wedding dress scene was amazing. I thought she looked so good. she was rising up and the vids of her in the circle omg.

then the fight scene and i pulled on the carpet because i thought it was fierce.

then the ending was cute too.

i remember just thinking to myself why so many quick and sudden cuts...? like i wanted to see more. and like is that it?

compared to the other music videos coming out at the time dancing was really in. you had to have dancing to not be a flop. i just wanted to see more.

it was amazing regardless.

• Love 3

I thought it was amazing. The whole build up to it was awesome and the video itself was visually stunning and ahead of its time. Me and a couple of my friends actually got together to watch the video just because of the hype. I feel like it was the last music video I have ever really cared about, nowadays they are all just the same and don’t really matter (to me). 

• Love 2

I was so excited! I remember they were having the premiere on MTV, and the video started, you see the meteor in the sky, and I’m so serious when I say- the darn connection to the cable went out when the meteor hit. I was like, wtf- the impact was real 😂 I was surrounded by Britney posters covering every wall, and I started to go a little crazy lol. But then I remembered it would be on the internet right away and all was right with the world. I enjoyed the use of color, it was definitely a departure from what we were used to seeing from B. I honestly feel with Gaga’s increasing popularity they tried to put a weird twist on it. The dudes without the eyes, the 2 pupils in 1 eye, the rocky horror lips, and the creepy Joker-esque smile. It definitely felt influenced. But I live and breathe Britney so of course I loved it. ❤️ 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Malibu.D.Luxx said:

I was so excited! I remember they were having the premiere on MTV, and the video started, you see the meteor in the sky, and I’m so serious when I say- the darn connection to the cable went out when the meteor hit. I was like, wtf- the impact was real 😂 I was surrounded by Britney posters covering every wall, and I started to go a little crazy lol. But then I remembered it would be on the internet right away and all was right with the world. I enjoyed the use of color, it was definitely a departure from what we were used to seeing from B. I honestly feel with Gaga’s increasing popularity they tried to put a weird twist on it. The dudes without the eyes, the 2 pupils in 1 eye, the rocky horror lips, and the creepy Joker-esque smile. It definitely felt influenced. But I live and breathe Britney so of course I loved it. ❤️ 

Wow I didn't see it like this! It really does make sense haha

• Like 1
On 8/27/2021 at 7:39 PM, BritneyLVR said:

Of course there was bashing of it :tiffsniffle_ny_miss_new_york_crying_sobbing_sad_tears:These type of costumes were really popular for entertainers during that time. It’s a beautiful costume. 

I think it was “diaper” like when she first started the tour and it was the two piece. Having it made into a one piece was the best decision ever and made it gorgeous! 

actually this one was  not the "diaper" costume.. she wore another version of this costume during the opening night that looked like a big diaper

1308329559_britney-spears-290.jpg?qualit

• Love 1

Femme Fatale was a disappointment for me...The music was already dated when it came out especially with Britney always setting trends instead of following them. HIAM is one of my least favorite songs from Femme Fatale, but the visuals of the video are great, especially the dancing scenes...Too bad they cut them every 5 seconds.

• Like 1

I LOVE HIAM. The MV was different to anything she's ever done before and is probably one of the darkest of her career. The faceless bodies, clone Britneys,  silhouette scenes and the wedding dress/paint scenes of her "giving birth to her dancers" was so unexpected.

SO many possible explanations and I love it. Her HIAM could mean anything :sippinga_gaga_hotel_ahs_drinking_sipping_wine_spill_tea:

• Love 3

Loved the song at the time and was so excited for the video…but all the cuts to try and hide the diminished performance abilities and dancing/over medication made it unwatchable and kind of a headache to follow. People were way too unnecessarily critical of it at the time though.  

I do have vivid memories of defending her to GP friends, and to the GP in general who thought the video was horrible and that old Britney was officially gone. 

The whole femme fatale era gives me senses of dread because it was the real turning point where it felt like the world gave up on viewing her as the queen of the industry and Beyonce really took over as the main girl. 

I remember watching my non-stan, GP friends who loved and grew up with Britney, (and viewed her as the musical icon of our generation), cheer her on during the circus era comeback…but left feeling a little flat by it, really be done w her after femme fatale.

It was all the typical,  “she just isnt the same”…”shes just a robot now and so odd now”…”her talents completely gone” etc etc etc…but I think this year put everything back into perspective and Britney has the world back on her side.  

On 8/27/2021 at 11:32 AM, Urbanney said:

I still feel weird watching it now, especially with what we know now, but I think it might be objectively the best video from the FF era. It's the most artistic and creative.

I agree, there’s something very eery and unsettling about it and that’s what makes it so interesting and compelling. The narrative and the beauty/tragedy of it all makes it a heavily loaded metaphor for her career on so many levels. It’s as high concept as we’ve ever seen from her imo, which is crazy considering the song itself is resolutely one dimensional. It’s one of my faves but it’s almost too disturbing and weighty to watch as often as other mv’s.

• Love 1