Billboard praises Army's mass buying & doxxes twitter users for calling out BTS

On the July 24 chart, “Permission to Dance” debuted at No. 1 with 140,100 total sales, according to MRC Data, with “Butter” falling six spots to No. 7 and Rodrigo’s “good 4 u” holding at No. 2. But then, something highly unusual happened: The next week, “Butter” returned to No. 1 (leapfrogging Rodrigo and others) and switched places with “Permission,” which slipped to No. 7.

''Rodrigo’s fans claimed that it wasn’t a coincidence. @scrappyseal, noting the reversal, tweeted that BTS had “0 GP [general public] support. A real smash is sustained by the GP support.” Another fan of both Rodrigo and Lipa’s, @lipaanostalgia, described BTS as having “fraudulent ways” and its fans as “involved in chart manipulation” and “mass buying.”

ARMY’s crowdfunding efforts are certainly near legendary at this point. As screen grabs of account balances and bulk purchase receipts on Twitter reviewed by Billboard show, BTS fans use PayPal to pool money from ARMY around the globe and make the purchases that will count toward U.S. sales. “ARMY WHERE ARE YOU??” @borakore52 asked in an Aug. 5 tweet. “I have enough for 448 sets of 16 PTD plus 24 Butter!! Even if you cannot buy until later, please get your requests in ASAP!!”

Some ARMY organizers then offer to reimburse other fans for purchases. The source of those funds remains unclear, and some BTS fans have expressed concern about revealing more about their methods. “Feeling the need to be a bit more discreet on the timeline about what we do and how we do it,” @RafranzDavis wrote during a funding run in early August. “It’s annoying but thnx to everyone that just gets it.” (MRC Data has a standard process for examining any suspicious chart activity; Billboard would not allow sales funded by an act or its label/management to count toward chart performance.)

These efforts have buoyed the group’s singles, as they have sailed to the top of the charts despite BTS’ weaker streaming numbers and radio airplay than some of its pop contemporaries. “It’s a fair question,” says RM of allegations that ARMY’s work amounts to chart manipulation. “But if there is a conversation inside Billboard about what being No. 1 should represent, then it’s up to them to change the rules and make streaming weigh more on the ranking. Slamming us or our fans for getting to No. 1 with physical sales and downloads, I don’t know if that’s right ... It just feels like we’re easy targets because we’re a boy band, a K-pop act, and we have this high fan loyalty.”

When asked if HYBE itself organizes fans in any chart manipulation, Shin Young-Jae — president of BTS’ label, Big Hit Music (a HYBE subsidiary) — answers with a chuckle. “Wouldn’t it be nice if we actually had the ability to mastermind such a thing?” he says. “I get that there are market developments [related to BTS] that are head-scratchers for some people. But I don’t believe the U.S. market is one that can be handily topped by downloads alone. We think the songs’ impact was shown in many ways, and we are proud of that achievement.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/9618967/bts-billboard-cover-story-2021-interview

Those users mentioned in the article are currently getting death threats from extremists Army so bless you Billboard, such a moral move to doxx people. U're such an amazing chart. Always following the rules and morals

Cupcakke GIFs | Tenor

F.R.A.U.D.S.

-Allegedly

That’s beyond disgusting. Whoever is currently on Twitter bullying people for it I hope they get suspended. I didn’t see it myself but I think I’m gonna go there and see if anyone’s come up with a report list because that’s uncalled for.

Im gonna repeat what I said on Twitter already. I’m sick and tired of Billboard’s racist and passive aggressive behavior towards BTS.  The fact that they even had the guts to ask that dumb question. Bless Namjoon for calling them out. THEY made those rules. Why the hell do you keep pestering us and BTS for winning within the boundaries of those rules? And why is it only ever BTS? Can’t even acknowledge them as human, they kept using “it” in the article to refer to the group. I’m sick of Americans thinking they’re the kings and queens of everything. **** billboard. And I’m also done with everybody who supports Billboard’s racism for a quick laugh because they’re pressed BTS keeps topping the charts.

still waiting for Billboard to ask western artists the same questions. How do you feel about radio play listing and payola? What do you think about boosting your rankings by selling bundles with t shirts and *****s? Do you think that’s genuine? That this reflects a genuine interest from the general public?

they never will of course because that would only make it more obvious how flawed the system is. And they can’t really change the rules either because that would change things for everybody not just BTS. So what’s left is to keep taking jabs at BTS and us as a fandom. Have fun watching us continuing to be on top.

• Love 5
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Persona said:

That’s beyond disgusting. Whoever is currently on Twitter bullying people for it I hope they get suspended. I didn’t see it myself but I think I’m gonna go there and see if anyone’s come up with a report list because that’s uncalled for.

Im gonna repeat what I said on Twitter already. I’m sick and tired of Billboard’s racist and passive aggressive behavior towards BTS.  The fact that they even had the guts to ask that dumb question. Bless Namjoon for calling them out. THEY made those rules. Why the hell do you keep pestering us and BTS for winning within the boundaries of those rules? And why is it only ever BTS? Can’t even acknowledge them as human, they kept using “it” in the article to refer to the group. I’m sick of Americans thinking they’re the kings and queens of everything. **** billboard. And I’m also done with everybody who supports Billboard’s racism for a quick laugh because they’re pressed BTS keeps topping the charts.

still waiting for Billboard to ask western artists the same questions. How do you feel about radio play listing and payola? What do you think about boosting your rankings by selling bundles with t shirts and *****s? Do you think that’s genuine? That this reflects a genuine interest from the general public?

they never will of course because that would only make it more obvious how flawed the system is. And they can’t really change the rules either because that would change things for everybody not just BTS. So what’s left is to keep taking jabs at BTS and us as a fandom. Have fun watching us continuing to be on top.

I'm just disgusted by the doxxing.  Ive NEVER seen in my life an official and reputable label such as Billboard literally doxxing people to get that HIT article. And I know they knew what would happen if they put names in the article. Everybody knows the extremes part of Army and saesangs do and go for for BTS

It would be fine if they had rephrased the things twitter users said but putting their usernames and copy pasted stuff- they knew the effect of it.

And now those people are getting death threads. Because of Billboard. I've lost all respect for them.

Rolling Stone >>>>>>>> Billboard

Doxxing will NEVER be ok esp. from such a huge magazine

• Like 1

Wait hold up. So Billboard admits that the BTS stans are using crowdfunding tactics to have BTS top the charts almost every week for the past few months, while also pointing out that the BTS stans are being secretive about where they're getting some of these funds? And Billboard doesn't think that's even slightly suspicious? Because to me that sounds like payola; what if BTS's label is behind some of the fundraising behind the scenes? And why's Billboard blaming non-BTS fans and doxing them for pointing out the blatant chart manipulation efforts? 

This Is A Case For The Fbi GIF - This Is A Case For The FBI - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Stefani said:

Wait hold up. So Billboard admits that the BTS stans are using crowdfunding tactics to have BTS top the charts almost every week for the past few months, while also pointing out that the BTS stans are being secretive about where they're getting some of these funds? And Billboard doesn't think that's even slightly suspicious? Because to me that sounds like payola; what if BTS's label is behind some of the fundraising behind the scenes? And why's Billboard blaming non-BTS fans and doxing them for pointing out the blatant chart manipulation efforts? 

This Is A Case For The Fbi GIF - This Is A Case For The FBI - Discover &  Share GIFs

yuuup

And bighit is even joking about the manipulation of the charts

Billboard lost all its value and dignity. Rolling Stone >>>

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block