What do you do when you can’t sleep?

SlayOut

• Super Mods

Title is pretty self explanatory. :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

When I’m anxious I often have trouble quieting my mind when it’s time to go to sleep. And then I perseverate on the fact I’m not asleep, and then all I think about is needing to get to sleep. And the cycle continues until I’m too exhausted and fall asleep by default, but then I get horrible sleep and feel like **** the next day.

Aside from a brain transplant what tips do you employ when you need to quiet your mind? Is it melatonin? Music?

Help a sleepy anxious gay out! :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Super Mods
6 hours ago, FreeBritBrit said:

worry about everything and everyone and then take sleeping pills to get few hrs of somewhat sleep

Life hates me these days...months...yrs

Ugh it’s brutal out here. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing: That’s what I usually do and then feel so crappy the next day. Like I’m feeling right now. :nydisgust_miss_new_york_tiffany_gross_pollard_ew:

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SlayOut said:

Ugh it’s brutal out here. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing: That’s what I usually do and then feel so crappy the next day. Like I’m feeling right now. :nydisgust_miss_new_york_tiffany_gross_pollard_ew:

i know ur pain sis

I wish i can get caffeine cubes. u take one when u wake up and u just cant force urself to get up. as it absorbs u get that boost. kinda genius tbh

get them if u can

as for sleep- idk what to tell u- im trying everything to fall asleep and sleep for few hrs and its a STRUGGLE

• Super Mods
9 minutes ago, FreeBritBrit said:

i know ur pain sis

I wish i can get caffeine cubes. u take one when u wake up and u just cant force urself to get up. as it absorbs u get that boost. kinda genius tbh

get them if u can

as for sleep- idk what to tell u- im trying everything to fall asleep and sleep for few hrs and its a STRUGGLE

I usually just drink my coffee in the morning and it sets me on the right path. I get too jittery with energy drinks or caffeine pills! Like it feels like my heart would burst out of my chest. :meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell:

• Haha 1

Don’t eat or exercise 6 hours before going to bed. Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and coffee too. These substances decrease the demand of sleep at night. 

If you want to be asleep at 11:00, for example, then physically be in bed at 10:30. It takes 15-25 minutes to fall asleep. Sleep in a dark cold room.

Devote a hour before going to bed to prepare to sleep (i.e., 9:30-10:30) So be in a warm lit room (think candle) and avoid blue light (tv/tablets).

Take melatonin a hour before bed if you absolutely have to.

Restrict activities to your bed for only sleep and “romance” :wink_britney_everytime_white: otherwise your brain might think it’s a desk if your reading in it or something. 

If you can’t find yourself falling asleep after 30 min. Get up and do a light activity until you feel tired again (write in a gratitude journal). Do not turn on any lights. Repeat this cycle until you fall asleep. Again, you don’t want your brain to associate sleeping as an unpleasant activity because your still up distressed your not falling asleep yet. 

During the hour you prepare to go to bed, write all your thoughts and feelings in a journal. That way your not going to bed reflecting on unpleasant thoughts or feelings. You have already processed them by that time. 

Be patient. It will take your body 2 weeks to adjust. I’d suggest melatonin supplementation for those two weeks and discontinue after. Half of 1 mg all you need, so cut it up if you only have a high dose.

While you are sleeping if you still have intrusive thoughts, try reflecting on a pleasant experience. Focus on the details and recite them to yourself in your head. 

I’m training as a psychologist. Here is a free 200.00 session. I’m a charitable queen. 👸 

• Love 7
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

Don’t eat or exercise 6 hours before going to bed. Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and coffee too. These substances decrease the demand of sleep at night. 

If you want to be asleep at 11:00, for example, then physically be in bed at 10:30. It takes 15-25 minutes to fall asleep. Sleep in a dark cold room.

Devote a hour before going to bed to prepare to sleep (i.e., 9:30-10:30) So be in a warm lit room (think candle) and avoid blue light (tv/tablets).

Take melatonin a hour before bed if you absolutely have to.

Restrict activities to your bed for only sleep and “romance” :wink_britney_everytime_white: otherwise your brain might think it’s a desk if your reading in it or something. 

If you can’t find yourself falling asleep after 30 min. Get up and do a light activity until you feel tired again (write in a gratitude journal). Do not turn on any lights. Repeat this cycle until you fall asleep. Again, you don’t want your brain to associate sleeping as an unpleasant activity because your still up distressed your not falling asleep yet. 

During the hour you prepare to go to bed, write all your thoughts and feelings in a journal. That way your not going to bed reflecting on unpleasant thoughts or feelings. You have already processed them by that time. 

Be patient. It will take your body 2 weeks to adjust. I’d suggest melatonin supplementation for those two weeks and discontinue after. Half of 1 mg all you need, so cut it up if you only have a high dose.

While you are sleeping if you still have intrusive thoughts, try reflecting on a pleasant experience. Focus on the details and recite them to yourself in your head. 

I’m training as a psychologist. Here is a free 200.00 session. I’m a charitable queen. 👸 

Wow, slay with all this expert advise! :scalped_wind_storm_blowing_sand_dirt_desert_holding_on: Exhale’s resident psychologist is ready for business! :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink: I’m sure an Exhale practice could be profitable! :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block