This Day in Pop: Christina Aguilera releases self-titled album in 1999 (August 24)

45 minutes ago, Prachi said:

Shakira also has a diamond single in Brazil too I guess, she sells huge especially in her home country! 

Hips don't like is 9x plat in US - and US is her smallest market. Global queen! 

oh, so I checked the website, and apparently it's Latin Diamond, which is for 600k+. I didn't know the RIAA gave that kind of certifications too.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

oh, so I checked the website, and apparently it's Latin Diamond, which is for 600k+. I didn't know the RIAA gave that kind of certifications too.

yes country wise certification is different upon market sizes, US as is the biggest music market have high numbers for the certification units. 

On 8/25/2021 at 1:06 AM, mythology said:

It was better than Britney's debut.  Much better vocals and it scored three #1 Billboard hits.  I was disappointed with Britney's first record tbh, it was all filler.  Xtina had a much better record.  I'm so pressed:crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

On 8/25/2021 at 1:31 AM, Prachi said:

Christina deserved the grammy for best new artist for this one, this album is excellent though Britney was seeing huge album sales we still can say in terms of quality Christina was ahead with this one. 

...Baby One More Time, Sometimes, (You Drive Me) Crazy, Born To Make You Happy, From the Bottom of My Broken Heart, I Will Be There, Deep in My Heart, Autumn Goodbye, and I'm So Curious exist. :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

On 8/25/2021 at 3:32 AM, Popcornie said:

the singles seemed to do better on charts than even Britneys. 

To be fair, Sometimes was only released to radio. Crazy and From the Bottom of My Broken Heart were only initially released to radio and then were released physically only by the time they were old news. Her single rollouts were such a mess. :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

...Baby One More Time, Sometimes, (You Drive Me) Crazy, Born To Make You Happy, From the Bottom of My Broken Heart, I Will Be There, Deep in My Heart, Autumn Goodbye, and I'm So Curious exist. :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

To be fair, Sometimes was only released to radio. Crazy and From the Bottom of My Broken Heart were only initially released to radio and then were released physically only by the time they were old news. Her single rollouts were such a mess. :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

Britney's first single was the only good song on the album.  The non remixed version of Crazy is trash.  Floptina had the better album and you will deal:ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, mythology said:

Britney's first single was the only good song on the album.  The non remixed version of Crazy is trash.  Floptina had the better album and you will deal:ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

I mean, to each their own. I did love the singles from Xtina’s debut, but let’s not forget that “What a Girl Want” and “Come on Over” were remixed for their radio releases and were very different (and much better) than the versions that were originally on the album. Now they pretend like those original mixes never existed so the version of the album that is currently available kinda rewrites history to make it more favorable. It would be like Britney replacing Crazy with the stop remix on the tracklist and erasing the original.

I personally prefer BOMT. No single on Christina’s album comes close to the title track, and I’ll always love BTMYH, Sometimes, I Will Be There, and yes, even the original Crazy. But Christina did deliver some bops!

• Love 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, filmandstage13 said:

I mean, to each their own. I did love the singles from Xtina’s debut, but let’s not forget that “What a Girl Want” and “Come on Over” were remixed for their radio releases and were very different (and much better) than the versions that were originally on the album. Now they pretend like those original mixes never existed so the version of the album that is currently available kinda rewrites history to make it more favorable. It would be like Britney replacing Crazy with the stop remix on the tracklist and erasing the original.

I personally prefer BOMT. No single on Christina’s album comes close to the title track, and I’ll always love BTMYH, Sometimes, I Will Be There, and yes, even the original Crazy. But Christina did deliver some bops!

I definitely agree that BOMT is better than any song on Christina's debut.  But I was disappointed with the album, in fact I feared she might be a one hit wonder because there were no quality songs on the BOMT album.  Just cheezy, boring and childish filler.

Christina's album was much more consistent in that regard, even the non-singles were solid.  They were also more mature sounding and experimental. I can't say the same for the BOMT album.

With that said I also believe Britney currently has a much better discography overall than Xtina's, but her first album wasn't it. It was filler and one of our faves worst albums tbh.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, mythology said:

I definitely agree that BOMT is better than any song on Christina's debut.  But I was disappointed with the album, in fact I feared she might be a one hit wonder because there were no quality songs on the BOMT album.  Just cheezy, boring and childish filler.

Christina's album was much more consistent in that regard, even the non-singles were solid.  They were also more mature sounding and experimental. I can't say the same for the BOMT album.

With that said I also believe Britney currently has a much better discography overall than Xtina's, but her first album wasn't it. It was filler and one of our faves worst albums tbh.

I definitely don't disagree that the subject matter on BOMT is younger, but I don't think that means it's worse (at least imho).  She was also 15 when she recorded the first tracks for the album, so it's built for her peers at the time and tough to compare to Christina's debut that came out when she was 18.

From a pop song perspective, I guess I just feel like more of the BOMT songs have held up better than CA.  Sonically, songs like "Love for All Season" feel much more dated/of-the-time to me.  I also think they were right to excise some of Britney's early tracks for the official release (in the US at least - songs like Deep in My Heart a fun but soooo dated 90s house songs).  Even though they feel younger in terms of content, I still think it's a solid pop effort.  Both albums are, in fact.  But from a historic standpoint, it's also hard to ignore that BOMT the single dropped in Oct. '98 and the album in Jan. '99, and both changed the trajectory of pop, influencing every pop release that came after.  I think Christina's debut would have had a very different feel if Britney did not come out first (probably more like the sound and the look of My Reflection), which gives BOMT a leg up imho in terms of historical stature imho.

But it's kinda cool to see how people's opinions differ.  I actually think I listen to BOMT more than OIDIA because I think it's more consistent from start to finish (Oops is flawless in the first half, then the second half feels more like filler to me). But hey, they're all iconic. I just wish we could go back to 1999 and get the Britney/Xtina collabo we all deserved a la The Boy is Mine. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, mythology said:

The Flop! Remix? :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

Random but what's your fave album Britney has put out. No offence but I always see you not liking anything Britney has put out (and favouring Xtina or Beyonce :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:), not saying you're a hater but I'm just curious what you do like about her cause I have 0 idea. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/28/2021 at 9:13 PM, Hooked-On-Knee said:

The Flop! Remix? :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

Random but what's your fave album Britney has put out. No offence but I always see you not liking anything Britney has put out (and favouring Xtina or Beyonce :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:), not saying you're a hater but I'm just curious what you do like about her cause I have 0 idea. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

The Crazy remix was way better than the crap on the album and you will deal:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Oops! was a great album for its time.  Britney was ok.  ITZ was excellent.  Blackout was masterful.  Circus and Femme Fetale were decent, the singles were excellent.  Myah Jean was **** and Glory is an excellent album, still listen to it regularly. 

I generally prefer Britney's music over Xtina and Beyonce's. That doesnt negate the fact that Xtina and Beyonce are clearly more vocally talented. Our fave can't really sing but she puts out great music in general.

I also think Britney during her prime was a waaaaaaaaay better performer/dancer than Beyonce and Floptina.  But those days are long gone:crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

• Love 2
On 8/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, filmandstage13 said:

I definitely don't disagree that the subject matter on BOMT is younger, but I don't think that means it's worse (at least imho).  She was also 15 when she recorded the first tracks for the album, so it's built for her peers at the time and tough to compare to Christina's debut that came out when she was 18.

From a pop song perspective, I guess I just feel like more of the BOMT songs have held up better than CA.  Sonically, songs like "Love for All Season" feel much more dated/of-the-time to me.  I also think they were right to excise some of Britney's early tracks for the official release (in the US at least - songs like Deep in My Heart a fun but soooo dated 90s house songs).  Even though they feel younger in terms of content, I still think it's a solid pop effort.  Both albums are, in fact.  But from a historic standpoint, it's also hard to ignore that BOMT the single dropped in Oct. '98 and the album in Jan. '99, and both changed the trajectory of pop, influencing every pop release that came after.  I think Christina's debut would have had a very different feel if Britney did not come out first (probably more like the sound and the look of My Reflection), which gives BOMT a leg up imho in terms of historical stature imho.

But it's kinda cool to see how people's opinions differ.  I actually think I listen to BOMT more than OIDIA because I think it's more consistent from start to finish (Oops is flawless in the first half, then the second half feels more like filler to me). But hey, they're all iconic. I just wish we could go back to 1999 and get the Britney/Xtina collabo we all deserved a la The Boy is Mine. 

I reapect your opinion, everyone has different tastes afterall. As for a Britney/Christina collab, that would have been amazing for its time, would have been huge.  Maybe it can still happen one day.  I'm glad they at least performed together at the VMAs along with Madonna, that was ridiculously iconic so at least we have that:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Prachi said:

What are you saying? the production on it is so good, especially the electric guitars and work of neptunes and pharell + she co wrote every song on it :crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

The music wasnt bad on that album but it was a weird listen.  Some songs are overly ***ual while other sound childish, it's like it didn't know who to cater to. It's like she was having an identity crisis.  ITZ was waaaaat better tbh:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mythology said:

The music wasnt bad on that album but it was a weird listen.  Some songs are overly ***ual while other sound childish, it's like it didn't know who to cater to. It's like she was having an identity crisis.  ITZ was waaaaat better tbh:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

ITZ and Blackout can't compete but you don't like 'Anticipating' 'Cinderella' 'Before the goodbye' 'Let me be' :crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

4 hours ago, mythology said:

The Crazy remix was way better than the crap on the album and you will deal:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Oops! was a great album for its time.  Britney was ok.  ITZ was excellent.  Blackout was masterful.  Circus and Femme Fetale were decent, the singles were excellent.  Myah Jean was **** and Glory is an excellent album, still listen to it regularly. 

I generally prefer Britney's music over Xtina and Beyonce's. That doesnt negate the fact that Xtina and Beyonce are clearly more vocally talented. Our fave can't really sing but she puts out great music in general.

I also think Britney during her prime was a waaaaaaaaay better performer/dancer than Beyonce and Floptina.  But those days are long gone:crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

I'll excuse you trashing the original version of Crazy because you finally admitted Britney has done good, a true reverse warholian expedition. :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

On 8/24/2021 at 8:33 PM, princessmimi said:

What an ICONIC album and debut!

I love this album and its honestly one of my fave albums from her.

My faves are: Genie, Come On Over, I Turn To You, Somebody's Somebody, Love Will Find A Way (SHOULD'VE been a single!)

However the one thing I dont get is how Christina said she had a goody good girl virginal image 

when she was singing about a guy puttting  their hands on her and being rubbed the right way :squintney_britney_confused_huh_what_umm_ok_glory:

Her image may have been squeaky clean but she obviously never was that

Agreed! Love this debut album. Brings me back. 
YES! Love Will Find a Way should have been a single! 

• Love 1

I like Christina’s Gentle and What Girls Wants songs, and didn’t like I Turn To You ( it was so boring for me that days), album is ok, but if we need to compare with Britney’s debut album  - that was more interesant.  It had supercrush for me “Born To Make You Happy” ( UK’s #1). I like Thinkin’ About You and Soda Pop between teen pop songs is cool and sweet. I like perfect ending with The Beats Go On.

Christina was always aggressive at her sound and image.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block