This Day in Pop: Christina Aguilera releases self-titled album in 1999 (August 24)

71t+KRDjn+L._SX522_.jpg

On August 24, 1999, Christina Aguilera released her self-titled debut album, Christina Aguilera. Following her 1998 song Reflection, the theme song for Mulan, and her first single Genie in a Bottle, released in June, the album incorporates dance-pop and teen-pop genres, much like her contemporaries. It included the collaboration of producers David Frank, Ron Fair, Guy Roche, Robin Thicke, Diane Warren, Matthew Wilder, and Aaron Zigman. 

Several of the songs would later receive a Spanish adaptation for her second studio album Mi Reflejo, released the following year. 

The album debuted at #1 on the US Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 253,000 copies, and earned her a Grammy for Best New Artist in 2000. It's been certified 8x Platinum and it's sold more than 14 million copies worldwide. 

Four singles were released to promote this record: Genie in a Bottle, What a Girl Wants (the first song to top the BBH100 in the 2000's), I Turn to You and Come on Over Baby (All I Want Is You).

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Broccoli Spears said:

Solid singles but I don’t remember any other song from that album at all

Honestly they are good and even better than some of the singles. My favourites are Love for All Seasons, When You Put Your Hands on Me and Blessed.

The album is so cohesive, and in my opinion one of her best ones vocally. :) For those who think she “screams”, this album is nothing like that. 

She mentioned not long ago she co-wrote a few tracks but she was too inexperienced they got away without crediting her. I hope one day she tells us which ones she wrote on :ohcrap_britney_crap_omg_glory_jimmy_kimmel_jkl_surprised_wow:

• Love 3
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

What an ICONIC album and debut!

I love this album and its honestly one of my fave albums from her.

My faves are: Genie, Come On Over, I Turn To You, Somebody's Somebody, Love Will Find A Way (SHOULD'VE been a single!)

However the one thing I dont get is how Christina said she had a goody good girl virginal image 

when she was singing about a guy puttting  their hands on her and being rubbed the right way :squintney_britney_confused_huh_what_umm_ok_glory:

Her image may have been squeaky clean but she obviously never was that

• Love 5

Christina deserved the grammy for best new artist for this one, this album is excellent though Britney was seeing huge album sales we still can say in terms of quality Christina was ahead with this one. 

I love BOMT with all my heart and listen to it every once in a week but Christina was so good back in those days sadly her being good didn't work after 3 albums :taylor_swift_evil_smile:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Love Will Find A Way is a beautiful blend of Mariah’s Dreamlover and Fantasy! 

I don’t agree that this album is better than Britney’s debut. It’s certainly more mature with regards to its vocals and lyrical content, but Britney’s album really captures that nostalgic feeling of running around in the autumn leaves and dreaming of summer love! 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

btw I was checking the other day that Shakira has 3 Diamond albums :jtum_justin_timberlake_surprised_wow_um_blink_eyebrows_shocked: why nobody ever mentions that? I had no idea.

Shakira also has a diamond single in Brazil too I guess, she sells huge especially in her home country! 

Hips don't like is 9x plat in US - and US is her smallest market. Global queen! 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block