Lizzo angers fans as they receive their 'signed' CDs with just a piece of signed tape on it.

Invitation

On 8/21/2021 at 2:07 PM, Reluctant said:

Some people were calling her lazy, Lazy-o, etc., not just the specific act of not signing. I thought this needed to be called out. Such name calling angers me, especially given the historic use of “lazy” as a way to demean black women in the US. (I am a scholar in this field and could start dropping cites, but I don’t think this is the place for it lol). I am glad you address anti-black racism when you see it on this forum. I think it’s important to have these discussions and address issues when they arise. While we might have differing positions about whether the use of lazy to describe Lizzo is racially motivated in this instance, I wish you wouldn’t have started your reply by telling me that you are laughing your *** off whenever I am identifying what I think is anti-black language. It is a sure fire way to shutdown dialogue.

I am so sorry honestly you are right. That was really rude of me and I totally apologize. I also should say I’m not too familiar with what they call her but I can understand why that’s so racially motivated 

I am sorry though, and I genuinely understand where you were coming from. I am very sorry. 

On 8/20/2021 at 4:21 AM, Reluctant said:

Seeing how quickly “lazy” is being thrown around as a blanket description of Lizzo is infuriating. She is a college educated flutist, singer, rapper, songwriter, performer, and TV producer. Those are incredibly hard fought achievements that take a ton of work. She is not lazy. Yet, when she doesn’t manually sign her CDs, she is called lazy. This is thinly veiled racist rhetoric. It is not lost on me that this one instance where a black woman didn’t meet people’s expectations of hard work trumps all of her other hard earned achievements and relegates her entire identity to lazy. I hear the dog whistles on this site and I’m done with it.Unimpressed Viola Davis GIF

Oh come off your high horse. This would’ve been called out regardless of who it was. It is lazy and it’s so ignorant to assume that because she is black that people are using “racist rhetoric.” Being black =/= being blameless when they do something that is lazy. This is lazy. Period. Regardless of her prior achievements. It’s not only lazy. It’s fraud if she doesn’t specify prior to sale. Someone can be lazy of some things and hardworking in others. That’s such a silly claim “relegates her to being lazy.” It’s clear you’re a diehard Lizzo stan, but face it. This is lazy regardless of whatever claims you want to make otherwise. 

• Like 1
On 8/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, Korb said:

:slowdown_down_cardib_b_cardi_um_fast_confused_what_stare:

This isn't a racism issue. Her efforts were wack. This looks sloppy whether you're white, purple , green or blue. Don't come here trying to start mess. POC do not get a free pass to do anything they want without criticism just because they are a particular color. Nobody said Lizzo is lazy because she's black. Stop being ridiculous. There are plenty of other artists who do take time to sign cds properly in an authentic way. Writing your name on a piece of tape is so beyond lazy and disrespectful. I'm very much pro black and anti-racism but responses like yours are so irresponsible. I don't doubt people are using this mess to make racialized comments and to express their veiled racism but it's not fair to characterize everyone this way as this particular instance deserves to be criticized for the lack of effort and care, regardless of anybody's race. 

If Britney ever did some **** like this I would DRAG her lol

Imho Lizzo has no business signing albums anyway. She ain't even that girl yet but that's besides the point.:angietea_angelina_jolie_tea_sips_coffee_mug_cup_drink_spilling_spill:

You said it better than I did

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Oh come off your high horse. This would’ve been called out regardless of who it was. It is lazy and it’s so ignorant to assume that because she is black that people are using “racist rhetoric.” Being black =/= being blameless when they do something that is lazy. This is lazy. Period. Regardless of her prior achievements. It’s not only lazy. It’s fraud if she doesn’t specify prior to sale. Someone can be lazy of some things and hardworking in others. That’s such a silly claim “relegates her to being lazy.” It’s clear you’re a diehard Lizzo stan, but face it. This is lazy regardless of whatever claims you want to make otherwise. 

1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block