Jump to content

[VIDEO] J.Lo Talking About I'm Real in 2001, Shows She Didn't Know About Mariah's Firecracker Sample


Recommended Posts

Most of us probably know the story of Loverboy and I'm Real by now. Mariah planned on sampling a song called Firecracker for Loverboy, but J.Lo's I'm Real came out first and also used the Firecracker sample. This led Mariah to change the sample, which she discusses in her memoir. Mariah has said that the mastermind behind this was Tommy Mottola, her ex who was the head of J.Lo's label. Mariah feels he was trying to sabotage her.

A lot of people wonder if J.Lo knew about the sabotage and was a willing participant. She often gets trashed by people (including lambs) who target her when it hasn't been proven if she knew what was going on.

Well, I was on YouTube and came across this video. It's a track-by-track commentary on the J.Lo album, where she goes into the process behind each song. She mentions some interesting things. For example, she says that Tommy and Cory Rooney mostly looked over song submissions before presenting them to Lopez. She also says the track for I'm Real was brought to her by Troy Oliver and Cory Rooney. At one point in the video, she refers to Cory as "the Tommy soldier of it all." (This is also interesting, because Cory spoke out against Mariah when her memoir came out last year.)

Jennifer says she wrote the lyrics and the melody for I'm Real, but the track itself was already there. My guess is that the track she was presented already had the Firecracker sample included. Check it out. I encourage you to watch the whole thing (especially her commentary on Play), but I'm Real talk starts at 1:50:

It really looks like Jennifer was an innocent party in all of this. It seems like Tommy and Cory were in cahoots behind the scenes unbenounced to her. I think her commentary on Play is even more telling. I really think people should think twice before trowing shade and hate at Jennifer. It just doesn't seem fair. IDK, what do you guys think?

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Using background vocalists for the chorus of a song isn't something that started with J.Lo. That's been a staple in a lot of R&B records in the 90's. Using vocals from the demo singer on the final track is also not a bad thing, as they're credited as singing backgrounds. That's what Britney did by using Cathy Dennis' vocals on Toxic. Nothing wrong with that. Plus, there are a number of artists who end up recording songs that were leftovers from other artists' albums. It just becomes an issue when Jennifer does it. 

  • Love 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, AOLUV said:

Using background vocalists for the chorus of a song isn't something that started with J.Lo. That's been a staple in a lot of R&B records in the 90's. Using vocals from the demo singer on the final track is also not a bad thing, as they're credited as singing backgrounds. That's what Britney did by using Cathy Dennis' vocals on Toxic. Nothing wrong with that. Plus, there are a number of artists who end up recording songs that were leftovers from other artists' albums. It just becomes an issue when Jennifer does it. 

It's one thing to use background vocals while you sing lead over them. There's nothing wrong with that.

Jlo has always ,at least in her early career, used other singers/voices for her choruses where her voice is completely absent from the mix or buried so deep it's undetectable. She comes off like a karaoke singer, which is actually what she is anyway.

Link to comment

The thing is, I'm Real was only popular as a Remix, a completely different song lol So Tommy tactic flopped :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup: (for the sample, because the idea of rap/sing did amazing)

Even if she didn't knew at the beginning, I'm sure she became aware and I think she didn't say anything to Mariah. JLO is like a business woman, I don't see her as an artist, so I don't think she knows the work to find a sample, create something from there or with it and deliver.

Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Korb said:

It's one thing to use background vocals while you sing lead over them. There's nothing wrong with that.

Jlo has always ,at least in her early career, used other singers/voices for her choruses where her voice is completely absent from the mix or buried so deep it's undetectable. She comes off like a karaoke singer, which is actually what she is anyway.

Again, that was a very common practice in 90's/early 2000's R&B. Here are some examples:

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, AOLUV said:

Again, that was a very common practice in 90's/early 2000's R&B. Here are some examples:

 

This. Why we always talk about J Lo when other singers like Nicki Minaj or Rihanna had vocals from the demo track in the final mix?

I always thought Jennifer wasn’t aware all the whole thing and her team is the only one to blame about it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Korb said:

It's one thing to use background vocals while you sing lead over them. There's nothing wrong with that.

Jlo has always ,at least in her early career, used other singers/voices for her choruses where her voice is completely absent from the mix or buried so deep it's undetectable. She comes off like a karaoke singer, which is actually what she is anyway.

No hate, but the same thing happened to Britney in her early career. Her voice is buried with the chorus voices.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, AOLUV said:

Again, that was a very common practice in 90's/early 2000's R&B. Here are some examples:

 

I always thought the same. Her team tried to make her some kind of R&B singer and used a chorus with other voices what it was so common is this style at that time. This practice was so common even with people like Withney Houston in “My Love Is Your Love”. Is not about if you are good or bad singer, because Jennifer already had the autotune then. 
 

Anyway, I think this thing went too far because, even if Jennifer is not a great singer, she is great professional and performer and she proved it so far.

Whatever people blame on Jennifer, there’s another pop singer that acted just the same.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, AOLUV said:

Again, that was a very common practice in 90's/early 2000's R&B. Here are some examples:

 

Nah it's not a common practice at all. What you quoted are exceptions to the rule.

Almost ALL of Jlo's hits from her early career were entirely sung by somebody else. She is a huge offender of this type of stuff. Don't try to justify this garbage by pointing the finger at other artists who have maybe done it once or twice to try to defend jlo's half assed efforts.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, NobodyKnowsPete said:

No hate, but the same thing happened to Britney in her early career. Her voice is buried with the chorus voices.

I wouldn't say her voice is "buried" because that implies you can't hear Britney. That's not the case at all. Britney harmonizes with the background vocals and also does harmonies of her own during her choruses.  Go listen to the stems of her early songs and do your homework pls. Her songs were always mixed in a way where Britney can always be clearly heard as a lead. That's how you mix a chorus.

Jlo's vocals are completely absent in many of her songs. This is common knowledge at this point and I don't know why yall are pointing fingers at other artists as if that's a good justification? Jlo is a fraud. She's never been a singer or an artist. She's always been a karaoke singer with a dance background. :angietea_angelina_jolie_tea_sips_coffee_mug_cup_drink_spilling_spill:

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Korb said:

I wouldn't say her voice is "buried" because that implies you can't hear Britney. That's not the case at all. Britney harmonizes with the background vocals and also does harmonies of her own during her choruses.  Go listen to the stems of her early songs and do your homework pls. Her songs were always mixed in a way where Britney can always be clearly heard as a lead. That's how you mix a chorus.

Jlo's vocals are completely absent in many of her songs. This is common knowledge at this point and I don't know why yall are pointing fingers at other artists as if that's a good justification? Jlo is a fraud. She's never been a singer or an artist. She's always been a karaoke singer with a dance background. :angietea_angelina_jolie_tea_sips_coffee_mug_cup_drink_spilling_spill:

 

I already heard those auto tuned stems you said and I never noticed those harmonies you say. It is common sense that those chorus are there to hide Britney’s lack of voice, so before you have the audacity to say that somebody has no talent DO YOUR HOMEWORK and think about who do you stand and what are comparing…

Ain’t gonna waist more time explaining what you already know I tried to say. When any main popstar make a Super Bowl Half time show quote me, and please, not white that annoying “smarty” way…

Edited by NobodyKnowsPete
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Korb said:

 

Jlo's vocals are completely absent in many of her songs. This is common knowledge at this point and I don't know why yall are pointing fingers at other artists as if that's a good justification? Jlo is a fraud. She's never been a singer or an artist. She's always been a karaoke singer with a dance background. :angietea_angelina_jolie_tea_sips_coffee_mug_cup_drink_spilling_spill:

 

In which songs are JLo’s vocals completely absent?

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Korb said:

Nah it's not a common practice at all. What you quoted are exceptions to the rule.

Almost ALL of Jlo's hits from her early career were entirely sung by somebody else. She is a huge offender of this type of stuff. Don't try to justify this garbage by pointing the finger at other artists who have maybe done it once or twice to try to defend jlo's half assed efforts.

There isn't a single J.Lo song that's completely sung by someone else. This is a blatantly false statement. :girlwhat_um_meme_guy_surprised_shocked:

Link to comment

We been knew. And iirc Mariah even said that the final version of Loverboy is better than the original Firecracker version that she intended to release, yet for some reason she's still extremely shady towards JLo. Sometimes I can't stand my petty fave. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

Link to comment
18 hours ago, AOLUV said:

Again, that was a very common practice in 90's/early 2000's R&B. Here are some examples:

 

Kandi Burruss Reaction GIF

No no no no no no ... we are NOT comparing Living Legend Toni Braxton to JLo. LLTB is a VOCALIST, a SINGER! If other hamonies or voices are standing out prominently during a chorus, chances are it is for a reason other than to deceive the public. And you can still  hear Toni singing all her ad-libs on top of the background singers (which are usually her sisters). Jlo is not a singer, never was a singer, and the deception was real to make it seem like she was. If you love Jlo, that's fine. Just know she is not in the same lane as LLTB. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, anthony7226 said:

Kandi Burruss Reaction GIF

No no no no no no ... we are NOT comparing Living Legend Toni Braxton to JLo. LLTB is a VOCALIST, a SINGER! If other hamonies or voices are standing out prominently during a chorus, chances are it is for a reason other than to deceive the public. And you can still  hear Toni singing all her ad-libs on top of the background singers (which are usually her sisters). Jlo is not a singer, never was a singer, and the deception was real to make it seem like she was. If you love Jlo, that's fine. Just know she is not in the same lane as LLTB. 

 

First of all, I never said J.Lo was on Toni's level as a singer. What I said was that J.Lo didn't invent the concept of having background singers sing the chorus. And since J.Lo sings the chorus on many of her other songs, the idea that it's done to hide her lack of vocal ability is just wrong.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block