Did you know? There were plans to release an "Experience Britney" concert DVD in 2001

I haven't seen any threads about this yet so I just wanted to share some cool information I recently discovered. In the year 2000, a company called Enroute filmed Britney's Oops Tour in 2000 using a 360 camera. If I'm not wrong, they filmed her show in Atlanta and possibly others as well to contribute towards the DVD's content. The DVD had the tentative title "Experience Britney." This is an article I found on ABC from 2001:

May 18, 2001 -- Didn't like your seat at a Britney Spears concert? The pop singer will allow fans, virtually, at least, to see a show from every seat in the house — and even from backstage.

High-tech company Enroute announced yesterday that it's working on Experience Britney, an interactive DVD that uses so-called immersive technology to allow users to control where and what to watch on a wrap-around landscape. It will also allow fans to go backstage and will include games.

Immersive technology, in the case of Spears, would involve her being recorded at a concert from all angles on a 360-degree plain. Using controls, the viewer could go behind Spears to watch the audience reaction, or watch the singer from the side.

Similar technology has been used on Internet applications, but never before on DVD. Enroute says the DVD footage will be television-quality.

Spears, 19, who is currently shooting her first movie, said in a statement she was "really excited to be the first artist to use Enroute's FirstPerson technology. It's a great new way of watching a concert."

The interactive DVD is expected to hit stores by the end of the year.

Also, here's a press release video about the DVD:

The DVD was eventually scrapped and seems like they instead filmed the Dream Within a Dream Tour rehearsals + footage at her University Park, PA show in 2001 instead and just included the 360 concert content on the 2002 video game "Britney's Dance Beat."

I think it would have been really interesting to see the Oops Tour in 360 view and have an official concert DVD release from that tour since we never got one. I'm curious if anyone else already knew about this.

• Love 5
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, Tear the floor up up said:

Seems waaay ahead of it's time for 2001, or even now tbh. It looks like early days VR technology, which isn't even that mainstream in 2021 to my knowledge.

It is true tbh. I saw this a while ago as well and it really captured everything in 360.

• Like 2

That's what we needed tbh, unlike the unnecessary "Britney Spears: Live and More" :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: Not only the Crazy2K tour is a tour i couldn't care less about, but the editing on that DVD is embarrassing! :gross_britney_ew_sick_red_sunglasses_cringe_disgusted: I swear a 4 years old kid could have done a better job at editing the concert. They shortened the songs so much, not to mention the fact that they randomly cut the performances to show random interviews and they cut the performance of "I will be Legend"! :rihit_rihanna_annoyed_throw_walk_away_bye_irritated_mad: And who the **** thought it was a good idea to use the Oops MV footage while she's performing Oops? I know what the MV looks like, let me focus on the damn performance instead. :outwithit_go_on_wave_britney_femme_fatale_ff_documentary:

• Love 2

I'm not a fan of this 360 degree concert experience...

Well, in terms of technology, its rather good but in terms of artistic integrity that a professional director and video editor would make during real concert performance is still much better for me. 

Maybe that is why it is scrapped. Its like watching videos taken from different live audience in 360 degrees stitched side by side.

If im going to watch a live pop concert at home, DWAD live in las vegas is the way to go. That direction and editing is unmatched for me (minus the top camera angle used in ILRNR where i find it very unnecessary and low quality)

52 minutes ago, HardToForgetYa said:

That's what we needed tbh, unlike the unnecessary "Britney Spears: Live and More" :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: Not only the Crazy2K tour is a tour i couldn't care less about, but the editing on that DVD is embarrassing! :gross_britney_ew_sick_red_sunglasses_cringe_disgusted: I swear a 4 years old kid could have done a better job at editing the concert. They shortened the songs so much, not to mention the fact that they randomly cut the performances to show random interviews and they cut the performance of "I will be Legend"! :rihit_rihanna_annoyed_throw_walk_away_bye_irritated_mad: And who the **** thought it was a good idea to use the Oops MV footage while she's performing Oops? I know what the MV looks like, let me focus on the damn performance instead. :outwithit_go_on_wave_britney_femme_fatale_ff_documentary:

A lot of that is why I am so glad my mom recorded the Fox special on VHS back in the day lmao. I need to digitize it. 

12 minutes ago, ZoneGirl said:

A lot of that is why I am so glad my mom recorded the Fox special on VHS back in the day lmao. I need to digitize it. 

Was it the full length concert? I remember i've watched the "I Will Be Legend" performance from the Hawaii concert on YouTube but it literally looked like it was recorded back in 1960 :tiffanycries_ny_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_crying_tears_sobbing_sad: