30 years ago, Nicktoons were born with the premiere of Doug, Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy in 1991 (August 11)

On August 11, 1991, Doug, Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy all premiered on Nickelodeon, becoming the first original animated series of the channel, also known as Nicktoons.

They were followed by Rocko's Modern Life in 1993 and Aaahh!!! Real Monsters in 1994. Hey Arnold!, KaBlam!, The Angry Beavers, CatDog, Oh Yeah! Cartoons, The Wild Thornberrys, SpongeBob SquarePants and Rocket Power were the other Nicktoons released in the 90's, many of which ran until the early 00's.

The 2000's saw other series join the Nicktoons club, such as As Told by Ginger, The Fairly OddParents, Invader Zim, ChalkZone, The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Danny Phantom, Avatar among others. 

In the last decade, several shows were created, but only The Loud House remains current, along with other series created in the past few years, like The Casagrandes, not to mention SpongeBob SquarePants, one of the longest-running shows in Nickelodeon, after 280 episodes distributed among 13 seasons, and with two spin-offs released this year: Kamp Koral: SpongeBob's Under Years and The Patrick Star Show (which by the way, weren't very well received by a lot of long-time fans of the franchise). 

Many of the Nicktoons, especially the early shows and movies derived from them, have gone on to become pop culture classics, inspiring all sorts of merchandise, memes and references that keep them alive today, years after most of them stopped airing. Several videogames have also been released featuring the Nicktoons' characters, the latest one being announced last month, Nickelodeon All Star Brawl

• Love 6

Rugrats was my jam every Saturday in the morning :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes: I didn't have cable until 2006 (just in time for High School Musical :miley_cyrus_stare_meme:) so my local channel had a Nickelodeon block and we had Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Ah Monsters, Rugrats Grown Up, Ginger and so many more. Good times. Now they don't air ANY kids shows.

• Haha 1
  • Like 3
  • Super Mods

WOW so my fave childhood show was born 2 years before I was?!?

I LOVED (and still love) Rugrats!

That show defined my childhood!

Still I dont get why they had to fk it up with that stupid god awful reboot

where the characters look like creatures from hell!

Seriously that show is NIGHTMARE FUEL!

• Haha 2

I can’t believe it. It seems like just yesterday I would spend my afternoons watching Nick toons. 

Hey Arnold! will always be my favorite one. However, Rugrats was incredibly made. I don’t want to get all technical but I taught a class on Human Development, in which different phenomena during each growth stage were discussed. Some time later, I randomly watched some Rugrats episodes and I was just thrilled by how accurate it was and thinking that  they would have been a hit in the class if I had included them. 

Maaaaan you made me nostalgic. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Adriannn said:

I can’t believe it. It seems like just yesterday I would spend my afternoons watching Nick toons. 

Hey Arnold! will always be my favorite one. However, Rugrats was incredibly made. I don’t want to get all technical but I taught a class on Human Development, in which different phenomena during each growth stage were discussed. Some time later, I randomly watched some Rugrats episodes and I was just thrilled by how accurate it was and thinking that  they would have been a hit in the class if I had included them. 

Maaaaan you made me nostalgic. 

I wish arnold had more seasons :tiffsniffle_ny_miss_new_york_crying_sobbing_sad_tears:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Jesus ******* Christ, this is the first time something like this has happened to me. Normally I feel strange at seeing something I grew up with is having a big anniversary. Like, it really makes me feel ancient and I have to seriously take a moment. Saw the subject of this thread and honestly felt a sense of pain. 30 years ago, so much time has passed. :(

I wish that Teen Nick rewind block would switch shows around. I enjoy Doug but haven't seen Salute Your Shorts or Are You Afraid of the Dark? in years.  

• Love 1
On 8/12/2021 at 1:57 AM, princessmimi said:

WOW so my fave childhood show was born 2 years before I was?!?

I LOVED (and still love) Rugrats!

That show defined my childhood!

Still I dont get why they had to fk it up with that stupid god awful reboot

where the characters look like creatures from hell!

Seriously that show is NIGHTMARE FUEL!

MIMI! I would’ve never thought you were younger than me. :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block