What is Britney's worst lead single?

What is Britney’s WORST lead single?   

901 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for MM. I liked it at the time, except G Eazy's part. Also, the song never goes anywhere. The last chorus is only louder to signify it being the last chorus. The video is hands down her worst, but I didn't include that in my vote.

And to those saying DYWCO is lead single material, how? I never liked it because of the guitar sounds and especially because of those annoying vocals during the chorus from that guy saying Whatever you want... I just don't get the love for it.

• Love 5
  • Like 3
34 minutes ago, Turogue said:

What are you smoking? MATM did fit the atmosphere of the time, that's why the Princess & Queen of Pop sang an RnB infused dance-song. It's reflective of its time and the definition of a mood and vibe.

Britney didn't even sing on WB and HIAM always sounded like awfully dated eurodancetrash from the 90s.

it was very meh - just cause it was primeney its not an excuse... people don't even know that song exists. considering the power duo at the time... that song flopped hard. and yes you can disagree but that song is just really bad. forgettable and monotonous.

the video was amazing tho' best choreo basically.

• Like 1

I think Hold It Against Me. i do like that song but i think Til The World Ends would have been a much better lead single. TTWE is more catchy and appeals more to non Britney stans. even as a stan myself, i like HIAM but its not one of my favourite Britney songs but i love TTWE more

i do think Toxic should have lead ITZ. MATM is a great song and it was iconic releasing a collab with Madonna. but i do think ITZ would have been 10x more successful if Toxic was the lead single 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HeyWhatsUpItsBrit said:

Can't decide because all of those songs are awesome. Why are we trashing her music?

we're not really trashing her music though are we? we're just discussing what song was a bad lead single, not saying their bad. i mentioned above about Me Against The Music, i absolutely love MATM and think its a great song, but i just think if she released Toxic as lead, ITZ wouldve sold a lot more as   Toxic appealed to a lot more people than MATM did i think [well it did because it was no1 and sold more than MATM and Toxic is remembered as one of Britneys hits by more people] . and i voted HIAM in the poll, i do like HIAM but i just think TTWE is more catchier and would appeal to more people like Toxic

• Love 1
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, jonloch1 said:

we're not really trashing her music though are we? we're just discussing what song was a bad lead single, not saying their bad. i mentioned above about Me Against The Music, i absolutely love MATM and think its a great song, but i just think if she released Toxic as lead, ITZ wouldve sold a lot more as   Toxic appealed to a lot more people than MATM did i think [well it did because it was no1 and sold more than MATM and Toxic is remembered as one of Britneys hits by more people] . and i voted HIAM in the poll, i do like HIAM but i just think TTWE is more catchier and would appeal to more people like Toxic

Some comments are straight up calling songs boring, underwhelming, bad vocals, etc. Just seems a little disrespectful.

16 hours ago, lali92 said:

:gunney: MM is not a generic banger, but it's one of best songs. So I stan. :gunney: I jam to it daily since day 1.

And the genre was spot on the time. It still didn't age a day.

MATM is a great song, but lead single? Please. Toxic is one of the most iconic song ever made by ANYONE. So it was clearly lead single material.

MM used many elements that were heard in every other Top 40 radio song then. It’s pretty generic and offered nothing new. If anything, SP was the far better track. Oh wow, she had a ‘mid-tempo’ that talked about ******* as her lead, big deal? default_um4.gif
And as far as MATM goes, urban pop was very trendy from 2002-04, hence why they went with a track like that as her lead. Not to mention, it was the perfect follow-up after the VMA performance with Madonna in order to keep the momentum/hype going and get people talking. Of course, Toxic is the better song but MATM is also great as well.

• Love 4
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Make Me was and remains her most underwhelming lead single to date. It’s boring, forgettable and the G-Eazy verse just kills the entire vibe. Can’t remember the last time I actually took the time of my day to listen to it. default_um4.gif 

in retrospective it wouldn't have been as bad, if either they released a banger right away, like DYWCO or Liar or If I'm Dancing, or if they created a whole era of these chill songs:

1. Make Me...
  2. Invitation
  3. Mood Ring
  4. Coupure Électrique
  5. Man on the Moon

It would've been radical, controversial, so un-Britney, but it would've been like, ok, they're doing it on purpose, that's the theme of the era. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

MM used many elements that were heard in every other Top 40 radio song then. It’s pretty generic and offered nothing new. If anything, SP was the far better track. Oh wow, she had a generic ‘mid-tempo’ that talked about ******* as her lead, big deal? default_um4.gif
And as far as MATM goes, urban pop was very trendy from 2002-04, hence why they went with a track like that as her lead. Not to mention, it was the perfect follow-up after the VMA performance with Madonna in order to keep the hype going and get people talking more. Of course, Toxic is the better song but MATM is also great as well.

Care to name the other top 40 MM-like songs? You argue that MM was generic and like other songs while protecting MATM using the same argument as it was a very trendy style?:huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block