Favourite albums/songs outwith the genres you normally listen to

KM_GH_Cvr_10x10_HIres_CMYK.JPG?151940556

So yesterday I discovered Kacey Musgraves "Golden Hour" and I'm kinda shocked I liked it :ahhhhh_britney_scream_scared_panic_shocked_surprised: for context I can't stand country, mainly because of the cowboy, banjos, "my wife" stereotypes ingrained in EVERY LYRIC :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever: and because of this I just haven't ever delved deep into the genre (maybe I'm judging harshly) but this album & her voice are just so pretty, I was pleasantly surprised :fakewow_selena_surprised_shocked:

Spoiler

juno lou wishes her "music" was as good as this album :jamie_lynn_grape:

what albums/songs did you not expect to love as much as you did?

• Love 6
  • Like 1

Carrie_Underwood_-_Storyteller_(Official_Album_Cover).pngShania_Twain_-_Up!.png

I don't like country either, but both of these albums are great, though Up! is lowkey a pop album, tbh. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening: Storyteller is the only Carrie album I've ever listened to, and it's great. It really lives up to its name, as the narratives can be rather dramatic. :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

I_Disagree_Poppy.png

I've never been a fan of metal music. Moreover, I was a fan of Poppy before she had transitioned from bubblegum pop to metal, so it was pretty alienating, but then something clicked, and now I love her grungier stuff more than her poppier music. Also, her music never gets old because of how dynamic and genre-bending it is. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

Dreamcatcher are a Korean rock group, so their music was outside of my comfort zone too, but their songs are so good. I especially love Scream because it's borderline satanic. :hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

This isn't related to a specific genre, but I never expected to love a song (let alone a whole album) by Rebecca freakin' Black, but here we are. :kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

• Love 2

Never cared to much for jazz, so it has to be Cheek to Cheek, that album was a road trip with my aunt merri (love her), great fall music, I guess you can say Folklore/Evermore as it didn't meet what made me a Taylor stan the 1989 Hyper pop anthems. But hey I'm 36, so with getting older your tastes do change as you realize it's not the Nostalgia, it's the fact that it's really hard to relate or fund find common ground with teens, my parents liked our music cos the themes was universal, but that's not happening as teens aren't afraid to hold back or Express themselves with explicit language or content, something that wouldn't have happened when I was 16, 21 years ago. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, I Always Sing Live said:

Carrie_Underwood_-_Storyteller_(Official_Album_Cover).pngShania_Twain_-_Up!.png

I don't like country either, but both of these albums are great, though Up! is lowkey a pop album, tbh. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening: Storyteller is the only Carrie album I've ever listened to, and it's great. It really lives up to its name, as the narratives can be rather dramatic. :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

I_Disagree_Poppy.png

I've never been a fan of metal music. Moreover, I was a fan of Poppy before she had transitioned from bubblegum pop to metal, so it was pretty alienating, but then something clicked, and now I love her grungier stuff more than her poppier music. Also, her music never gets old because of how dynamic and genre-bending it is. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

Dreamcatcher are a Korean rock group, so their music was outside of my comfort zone too, but their songs are so good. I especially love Scream because it's borderline satanic. :hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

This isn't related to a specific genre, but I never expected to love a song (let alone a whole album) by Rebecca freakin' Black, but here we are. :kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

I was obsessed with Poppy's Bubblebath ep when it came out and her new music has been on my list for ages, I'll definitely need to get onto it!

The way Korean music videos NEVER miss. Also love that they are a rock group doing choreography, here for it

Also surprised at how good that Rebecca Black track is :OMGney_britney_surprised_no_way_shocked_wide_eyes: I always felt bad for her she was just a kid and it wasn't a song that was meant to be taken seriously but I love that she just embraced it, she looks amazing in that video too

Have you listened to SAWAYAMA? I feel like you would be into it

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Shadow. said:

Have you listened to SAWAYAMA? I feel like you would be into it

I've listened to it once, and I really liked it, but I haven't gotten around to listening to it again because there's so much music on my radar, and the album is kind of overwhelming. Moreover, the deluxe made it even more intimidating. :byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette: I should finally relisten to it because it's about time, though. :gunney:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

I've listened to it once, and I really liked it, but I haven't gotten around to listening to it again because there's so much music on my radar, and the album is kind of overwhelming. Moreover, the deluxe made it even more intimidating. :byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette: I should finally relisten to it because it's about time, though. :gunney:

The deluxe is meh tbh :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat: you can tell the bonus tracks were left off for a reason & the only tracks I didn't mind were the acoustic versions.

It did take me a few listens to really get into it because going from XS to STFU then comme was really jarring :gaga_shocked_stare_lady_dead_white_what_surprised: but it's a great album that I feel like kinda flew under the radar outside of pop fans

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Same with u! I don't like country music but Golden Hours was :melt_weird_drift_wow:

I don't like rock music (unless it is done in a pop taste) in the sense of Led Zeppedlin, ADCB etc but 'Abbey Road' was one rock album that I really liked and stuck with me. :wendy_williams_bop_listen_music:

abbey road is definitely in my top 3 beatles records. you should listen to their other albums too! they are a great band to listen to if you want to get into the genre, especially their earlier material it's much more accessible

what's your favourites from abbey road?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Shadow. said:

abbey road is definitely in my top 3 beatles records. you should listen to their other albums too! they are a great band to listen to if you want to get into the genre, especially their earlier material it's much more accessible

what's your favourites from abbey road?

Octopus Garden and Sometimes :matches: I do want to get into their music, so what should I start with?

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block