Without their consent, Blackground Records is making old JoJo, Aaliyah and Toni Braxton albums available for streaming

12 minutes ago, Prachi said:

Can't they be sued? This is pathetic. 

No because the estate (CMG) owns the name while blackground owns the music with empire. the entire dispute has been around whether or not Barry can legally release aaliyahs music without owning her name. Thanks to the deal with Empire, he can now launch this Blackground 2.0.

Barry and Diane and Rashad have all disputed over the music Rights for years. Back in 2012 the masters were purchased by reservoir entertainment which is why you got to hear some of the music sampled by Kendrick, 2 Chainz, Drake, and Chris Brown. 

it’s complex and the estate which is also truly something else. Neither the estate or Blackground have done good for her legacy. There’s a reason you never see anything on t shirts that references the red album. 

jojo owns nothing, timbaland and magoo own nothing, nor does Toni Braxton. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Rik said:

So is the estate however. It’s very complex but it’s very much a family issue. None of them have handled this properly in 15 years.

It seems like a mess, and I thought her uncle was the problematic one. I mean how many lawsuits have Blackground been involved with? 

36 minutes ago, frederiickx said:

The re-recordings of JoJo's new albums are BAD. They don't sound even half as good as the original recordings. For example in Taylor's case, the re-recordings are fantastic. I know JoJo prob had less of a budget to re-record them but they just aren't good. I am also buying the vinyls and CD's.

It's a s#!t situation for JoJo either way, she already said on Twitter that she won't make any money from the rerelease of the original albums. I can't comment as I'm not much of a fan so I have no idea what they sound like as a whole, but I remember the rerecorded Leave (Get Out) didn't sound good to me. It sounded nothing like the original version from what I remember... at least Taylor has tried to make the rerecordings sound like the originals.

1 hour ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Not really he owns all the masters, he even said to Billboard, he learned his lesson after sony, he just signed distribution rights with major labels. 

He legally owns all this Music 

Hmmm then how comes Sony (Jive) have the rights to Aaliyah's first album? It's already been on streaming for years

17 minutes ago, Isla said:

It seems like a mess, and I thought her uncle was the problematic one. I mean how many lawsuits have Blackground been involved with? 

So I have an hour long documentary coming out about this in a few days but can’t legally get into the specific lawsuits or name Barry as a direct cause. To summarize however back in 2010, Barry was met with court papers alleging that Barry had previously signed off on something for one of the executive producers of aaliyahs stuff. This basically meant the producer had to pay back more in taxes than he had made from 2001-2003 with the label. In other instances Barry has allegedly tried to blow up his girlfriends car and bought out her salon where she worked just to fire her. She successfully sued him and he on behalf of blackground now has to give her a certain percentage. 
Blackground has been caught in several legal lawsuits as seen with jojo. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Isla said:

Yikes. I tried listening to the rerecorded Leave (Get Out) and it wasn’t that great to me though. Even Aaliyah’s estate released a statement saying they don’t fully support this.

Blackground are a terrible label. 

I agree. I LOVEEEE Jojo but her re-recordings sound so low budget and low quality. I can't bear listening to any of the songs.

I just listen to the originals on mp3 file so her old label gets no penny.

I do the same with the old recordings of Taylor untill she all rerecorded them. Taylor does them every good!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, frederiickx said:

The re-recordings of JoJo's new albums are BAD. They don't sound even half as good as the original recordings. For example in Taylor's case, the re-recordings are fantastic. I know JoJo prob had less of a budget to re-record them but they just aren't good. I am also buying the vinyls and CD's.

Jojo had no major label backing, also she's no musician unlike Taylor swift sadly. 

51 minutes ago, Rik said:

So I have an hour long documentary coming out about this in a few days but can’t legally get into the specific lawsuits or name Barry as a direct cause. To summarize however back in 2010, Barry was met with court papers alleging that Barry had previously signed off on something for one of the executive producers of aaliyahs stuff. This basically meant the producer had to pay back more in taxes than he had made from 2001-2003 with the label. In other instances Barry has allegedly tried to blow up his girlfriends car and bought out her salon where she worked just to fire her. She successfully sued him and he on behalf of blackground now has to give her a certain percentage. 
Blackground has been caught in several legal lawsuits as seen with jojo. 

Yeah I think I read about this. Pretty sure it's mentioned on Blackground's Wikipedia page. I think Toni Braxon was involved in a lawsuit with them too but I might be wrong.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Isla said:

Yeah I think I read about this. Pretty sure it's mentioned on Blackground's Wikipedia page. I think Toni Braxon was involved in a lawsuit with them too but I might be wrong.

Oh I cannot wait for u to watch this omg yes 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rik said:

No because the estate (CMG) owns the name while blackground owns the music with empire. the entire dispute has been around whether or not Barry can legally release aaliyahs music without owning her name. Thanks to the deal with Empire, he can now launch this Blackground 2.0.

Barry and Diane and Rashad have all disputed over the music Rights for years. Back in 2012 the masters were purchased by reservoir entertainment which is why you got to hear some of the music sampled by Kendrick, 2 Chainz, Drake, and Chris Brown. 

it’s complex and the estate which is also truly something else. Neither the estate or Blackground have done good for her legacy. There’s a reason you never see anything on t shirts that references the red album. 

jojo owns nothing, timbaland and magoo own nothing, nor does Toni Braxton. 

Good thing about Toni is that they only owe that one album. There was no hits on it except Please. And she still performs that live sometimes. It was a good album tho. She should have never listened to Barry feed her lies and to leave her label. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block