Looking back on Britney’s 2017 comments about lip syncing

On 8/4/2021 at 10:40 PM, Pinky98 said:

She always enjoyed live singing. The circus tour had a lot of Live moments in it as well as a mix of playback, so did the Onyx Hotel tour, DWAD, Oops, BOMT etc.

It all started with FF, even then I’m pretty sure a lot of her singing was live tbh, even though people here swear it was always prerecorded.

If you listen to a lot of the femme fatale live fan recordings, she will sing out of sync or off key at times, which tells me that it is highly likely not pre-recorded but her real singing

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

She doesn't have the stamina or technique to sing live anymore. Whether that's her choice or a byproduct of all the artistic control she lost through the years, we'll never know until her book comes out. 

Those performances were probably recorded quickly, and she sings more poorly so it "sounds" live. She doesn't sing live and doesn't sing with the track, even the OIDA tour was pre-recorded (But back then she really gave her best effort to dance & sing live as much as possible). 

I still really believe she damaged her voice and either got vocal nodes or was pre-nodal ... This is very damaging to your vocal chords and is caused by strain/improper singing technique. Surgery is very risky. Some people can never sing again. At this point, her voice is quite fragile and she's really just a studio singer, but it works in her favor because Britney's voice just has that it factor that's one of a kind unique. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, mythology said:

She always sings live, its just that her mic is off so you can only hear the playback.  We should be thankful for that as well, as her live vocals are... well, you know:riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

I think you've never seen her live, we aren't saying she doesn't lip syncs she does and never done a full show singing live but there are a lot of circumstances to be seen which clearly you don't want to - she eats gum while lip syncing I mean she doesn't even try to hide, she use to sing live in the beginning and has done for FF tour as well, just watch her POM tour she doesn't even know when her mic is on I am not saying she doesn't, but we don't know as now we know how her team has put her since the beginning. I don't wanna come as offensive here, but I feel you don't even like Britney - you don't like her acting, you don't like her dancing anymore, you don't like her singing then what you like about her, I am curious? You constantly diss her by comparing her to Beyonce or any other I mean what's the deal? 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Some vocal trainer or something like that (not a Youtuber), said that if Britney did sing in all of her shows she would've lost her voice. That's why she still can sing, because she use playback and sing live sometimes. I mean, when you watch fancams or shows you can still hear the teenage girl in her older songs even when she is singing now, so...

Personally, idc if she lipsyncs.

• Like 1

Britney is multi-talented and she can obviously sing, but that's definitely not her best skill, so if a regular singer needs to have classes to learn and perfect the craft as well as to take care of their voice, she should do so even more, but she never did because she doesn't have that sort of personality that goes deep into things over time... On the contrary, she's more impulsive and spontaneous. But that's a pity, because she could be excellent at it.

• Like 2
On 8/5/2021 at 12:11 AM, nthenwkiss said:

I mean - I love her, but she’s just plainly lying, it happens, and we all do it. She’s lied about other stuff in the past too, and will lie about other stuff later in her life; it’s called being human, defending your brand and having insecurities / getting nervous.

In show business you sometimes lie… like when artists endorse brands because of money and exposure but don’t really believe in the brand / product.

Or like when artists claim they are VERY involved in their projects - do you guys believe Rihanna has ever sketched a bra for her line? She’s probably given 3 options and chooses 1 she likes the most and then the other two are probably used later or for something else.

Same with Britney’s perfume lines; she probably has no idea how they smell like.

No shade, just perspective; also keep in mind that doing SO many shows a year… there can be a time your voice is just not up for it and you have to lip sync - or maybe you’re super tired that day or have a headache… it happens.

I believe this is false… I think Before 2011, Britney was very much involved with her perfumes. We see her at Elizabeth Arden smelling samples for Hidden Fantasy in For the Record. I think after 2011, she was just done and to fulfill a contract, team con just slapped her images on the packaging and used older photos. It’s been done before and it won’t stop unless team con is terminated.

19 hours ago, Prachi said:

I think you've never seen her live, we aren't saying she doesn't lip syncs she does and never done a full show singing live but there are a lot of circumstances to be seen which clearly you don't want to - she eats gum while lip syncing I mean she doesn't even try to hide, she use to sing live in the beginning and has done for FF tour as well, just watch her POM tour she doesn't even know when her mic is on I am not saying she doesn't, but we don't know as now we know how her team has put her since the beginning. I don't wanna come as offensive here, but I feel you don't even like Britney - you don't like her acting, you don't like her dancing anymore, you don't like her singing then what you like about her, I am curious? You constantly diss her by comparing her to Beyonce or any other I mean what's the deal? 

I was just making light of her comments, we all know she can't sing live. And who actually likes Britney's 'acting' in Crossroads?  Are you serious?

Just because I'm a Britney fan doesn't mean I have to be delusional and believe she's 'great' at everything.  And for the record I do think she was incredibly talented in her prime - one of the best performers of my generation.

Nowadays however her talent has gone significantly downhill.  She never sings live and her dancing is mediocre, but I still enjoy listening to her music.  

Hope that answers your questions:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, DougFrmBrazil said:

What about the”vocal training” she had that was mentioned in the E! I Am Britney?

RIGHT. Larry Rudolph is such a lying scum bag. He hyped it up it up so much "she's going to be at 90% live vocals" -- ****kkk offffff  broooo -- at least give us good pre-recordings if you're going to make statements like that, not the album vocals. They didn't even try. I wonder if it came down to a time-constraint (in terms of getting pre-recorded ones done, but they had so much opportunity after the show started).

TO BE CLEAR: I don't care if Britney sings live anymore. I think we are past that point of her artistry. Who knows - maybe she will surprise us and do a pivot when she returns to music, it's all going to be dependent upon what type of songs she records. I think at this point Britney enjoys dancing more than singing so her artistry will always be more studio-singing and performance-based, but you never know what can happen...

I still think her voice is heavily damaged and it will take a lot of work for her to repair to get it back to her natural technique and sound. She would have to unlearn a lot of bad habits that she picked up from JIVE's push for her new sound and from straining while singing in her early days when she used to sing live.

FANS need to realize though that while Britney did used to sing live and dance for promo, most of her tours once OIDA album was released were pre-recorded tours where they kept her mic on and adjusted it during strategized parts. They did a fantastic job with the OOPS tour, many people still think she sang live, but it's obviously playback BUT she did have her mic on and was singing alive and "woo-ing" (really miss those woo's!) and she had communication with her sound team when to turn the volume on her mic up and down. Then once we came to DWAD I do think she sang along some time with the understanding that her mic volume was kept very, very low (often times you could hear them turning her mic level down as she was 'woo-ing' and the songs were changing).

Ever since Britney album it was pretty much just playback, I would say that's when we saw the final shift in her 'former' voice, and she made little effort to sing live except during some promo appearances when she would get some heat and then they would go on the "she always sings live with playback!" media spin. For instance, during S4U on Letterman they'd turn her mic up more during the talk-singing parts.

In terms of ITZ era, Remember her MATM performance at the AMAs? That was pre-recorded because she was getting heat. And her NFL performance (my favorite ever) was totally pre-recorded but it sounded AWESOME! Again, who cares if she sings live, it's just nice to hear something different than what we've already streamed, so I super-appreciate those performances where they made a real effort to create pre-recorded vocals and mix the songs differently. 

Here's a great Youtube video that perfectly sums up the destroy Britney's voice went through:

1 hour ago, mythology said:

I was just making light of her comments, we all know she can't sing live. And who actually likes Britney's 'acting' in Crossroads?  Are you serious?

Just because I'm a Britney fan doesn't mean I have to be delusional and believe she's 'great' at everything.  And for the record I do think she was incredibly talented in her prime - one of the best performers of my generation.

Nowadays however her talent has gone significantly downhill.  She never sings live and her dancing is mediocre, but I still enjoy listening to her music.  

Hope that answers your questions:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

She has sung live many times, but yes she has never done a full show singing live I am not delusional about anything and I know she's not good at a lot of things and her talent didn't go downhill I mean she is able to perform while being drugged is something applaudable in itself. We as people are not able to understand what kind of trauma she has been through, just see her rehearsals she is great it's the fact that she has done so good in her prime and now we compare everything with it and forget how much trauma and pain she has gone through. People are comparing her performances post 2007 which is not a fair comparison to make at all after how much light on her case has been put through. Sorry if I came out to be rude. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Prachi said:

She has sung live many times, but yes she has never done a full show singing live I am not delusional about anything and I know she's not good at a lot of things and her talent didn't go downhill I mean she is able to perform while being drugged is something applaudable in itself. We as people are not able to understand what kind of trauma she has been through, just see her rehearsals she is great it's the fact that she has done so good in her prime and now we compare everything with it and forget how much trauma and pain she has gone through. People are comparing her performances post 2007 which is not a fair comparison to make at all after how much light on her case has been put through. Sorry if I came out to be rude. 

It's not a problem at all, no offense taken,  and I agree that beeing drugged isn't doing her performances any favors.  I hope she makes a comeback in music soon after all this c ship crazyness is over.  Regardless of the quality of her performances, our fave generally makes quality music so I hope that's something we can look forward to relatively soon!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, mythology said:

It's not a problem at all, no offense taken,  and I agree that beeing drugged isn't doing her performances any favors.  I hope she makes a comeback in music soon after all this c ship crazyness is over.  Regardless of the quality of her performances, our fave generally makes quality music so I hope that's something we can look forward to relatively soon!

I understand and I do think she'll make a comeback, Britney had some great moments after the Cship as well it's mainly the confidence and her team behaviour which I feel brought her down in terms of performing so many times she was feeling it and did it and vice versa. 

Britney is a trained dancer and a gymnast these qualities just doesn't go away like this, when Britney was enjoying it she couldn't even be compared in terms of her performances it's mainly the confidence which brought her down when she posts rehearsal videos you'll see how good she is I mean she's good at what she does otherwise would've been forgotten she just IMO never got the opportunity to the way she wants to. 

• Like 1

I think it's just an answer she gives to move on from the subject, and point out how nonsense it is to talk about it. Even when she was singing live people were accusing her of lip-syncing or criticizing her voice. 

Back in 2008 when they released Circus, they marketed her as a 'performer', when she was criticized of lip syncing in Circus Tour, the management talked about Britney Shows as a 'spectacle', which is also true.

The kinds of concerts she started to give after the c-ship started to shape very much heavy dance oriented. There was almost no time in the entire show (apart from that one ballad) where she stopped or slowed down, and it got even more dance heavy with POM. I don't think it's humanly possible to sing live while doing all that heavy choreography. In POM shows when she talks after Freakshow for a second, they start the music of 'Do Something' immediately as if there is no time to talk, just dance dance dance and finish the show. So the design of the shows are very mechanical in that sense. So why would she bother to even try to sing live on the songs, especially when she is dancing her butt off.

Now, having said that, I don't think this creative direction that took place has anything to do with Britney. As she told, she wants to do her new songs and remixes and rearrangements of her songs in her tours. Look at Madonna, she is changing her old songs all the time, changing the pitch of the songs as well so they are easier to sing live. Because pop music songs are heavily edited, and Britney songs are so extremely manufactured, they wouldn't sound the same sang live if they keep the songs as they are. So there must be a version of the song that's easier to sing live, and the choreography should go along with it.

Also, reading the Ronan Farrow article and seeing how Jamie was humiliating her for her body, I can assume that they were also criticizing her voice etc. So they have pushed her to a corner where she was just allowed to dance. And you can imagine the lack of motivation that comes with it, as a creative person, not being allowed to do what you wanna do but being told what to do, I think it's a miracle she even showed up on stage with that kind of limitation, let alone singing live.

I wish some people around her / and amongst fans could believe the power she has as a vocalist. I still read many negative comments about her voice.

I also think when she posted on her instagram an old video of her singing that was sent to her by her mom, she gave a clear message of what she was about and what she became about, and where her heart is at.

I hope after this c-hip ends, she can go out and create the kinds of shows and performances she wants to create.

Even if she chooses to lip sync - which is totally okay in my opinion, because she doesn't need to prove she is capable of singing while doing acrobatics - I think the passion in her shows will be much different than now. Because creative freedom gives life to an artist.

I love my girl but I don’t believe she sings live. There isn’t even a pre recorded track like she did for the DWADT. (I believe they recorded her sound checks to use the vocals for the actual performance)  

Britney can sing and has an amazing voice but I generally believe she’s aware of the lip syncing and it’s just been what’s been required of her for her entire career. Look at a Cher, does she sing live? No but she still puts on amazing shows! It depends on the type of artist you’re seeing. Lip syncing has never bothered me because of the show that’s being put on. 

Remember that documentary (I can’t remember which one but it was during the oops era) and she was filmed saying “oh it’s playback” so casually. 

I think this is just the way it’s always been and there’s no problem with it in my opinion. Her voice as a child shows what a strong voice she has! She’s capable of singing 100% 

• Haha 1