Looking back on Britney’s 2017 comments about lip syncing

• Content Curators

beginning of her career (BOMT ERA) she would either do songs fully live or fully lip-synced as did any other artist in 90s

then came oops era where she would do more of what she described in 2017 interview, the mixing of playback and live vocals, full playback, and occasional full live

then came dwad era where she did full lip-synced and a few songs live same with onyx although there was more lip-syncing in onyx

except then after that the lip syncing got more and more

pretty sure the last time she had live vocals on a tour was circus

ugh

• Like 3

If lipsynching is her choice, I always figured it was due to the anxiety of messing up and dealing with "Britney can't sing" backlash. Much easier to deal with lipsynching rumors that she's had for years and already has "debunked" than the opposite. 

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Ty B. Pine said:

I was so interestead in what you had to say that I ended up getting angry with you because I don’t understand what exactly it was! Why did you put “INAGNYAW”? That’s insanity and took me 5 mins to decipher when you could have simply typed “Not a girl”. So that’s number one…and that’s a big one. Number 2, she had a bangle….now what on earth is that? I’d like to know! I always wondered about that video! I never understand what the person was asking for Britney to reply in such a honest way “it’s pure play back”….like what could they have possibly asked Britney for that to be her answer!? lol but now I know it was cause she had a big bangle….? Why are you doing this to me, ‘hypnotherapy‘? WHY!? Why? 

Us fans shorten all her song titles to acronyms.

wb, ttwe, dlmbtltk, matm, bomt, btmyh, etc.

I take it you’re new here? :thirsty_britney_onyx_drink_flirt_drinking_sipping_fan_hot:

• Love 1
  • Haha 5
18 hours ago, Hypnotherapy said:

Lmaoo I’m so sorry!

she had a big bracelet- and the person said will the sound of the bracelet clinking not get picked up on the mic and she said no because it would all be playback anyway.

Thank you for clarifying. Also don’t be sorry lol I was just teasing! But I really was interested! Thank you again!!

• Love 1
On 8/4/2021 at 10:57 PM, Lumanizer said:

It could be that she is singing and we just don't hear it because her mic is low/off, or it could be that she was trying to save face and lied. :alook_meme_down_up_look_see: 

Reveal hidden contents

My bet is on the latter :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

I was watching her wango tango performance from way back in the day and something that struck me was how effortful it was for her to sing and dance at the same time. She did a good job, but you can tell her team didn't prepare her whatsoever or help her with strategies on how to give a singing and dance-heavy performance at the same time. The way she sings in her songs in the studio is unnatural most of the time anyway, and there is so much production and sound editing that there is no way she can simply sing live into her headset while dancing and have it sound good. The songs would need to be reworked a bit for the stage, and I think it would be good for her to work with a vocal coach. 

I think if we get another tour or show with her at the helm 100%, and she still lip syncs, then we will know that it was her decision and not just her team or the cship :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

Hasn’t Britney been smoking for years? Maybe she runs out of breath now or doesnt sound good. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, limecakes said:

Hasn’t Britney been smoking for years? Maybe she runs out of breath now or doesnt sound good. 

Yeah, she smokes. I'm sure she runs out of breath and probably doesn't sound that great, because it's hard and she might not know (or care to learn) any techniques beyond just trying to vocalize while panting and moving around. There's a skill to it, that I'm sure she can learn because she's smart and talented. I have not lost hope that one day Britney will give us a truly live show lol :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup:

• Haha 2
On 8/5/2021 at 6:32 PM, Britneyarmy8 said:

beginning of her career (BOMT ERA) she would either do songs fully live or fully lip-synced as did any other artist in 90s

then came oops era where she would do more of what she described in 2017 interview, the mixing of playback and live vocals, full playback, and occasional full live

then came dwad era where she did full lip-synced and a few songs live same with onyx although there was more lip-syncing in onyx

except then after that the lip syncing got more and more

pretty sure the last time she had live vocals on a tour was circus

ugh

You summarised this well. The level of lip synching had already gotten slightly out of hand by DWAD imo but definitely inexcusable ever since Circus. I refuse to believe she live ad-libbed as much as some fans believe for FFT either.

Although, knowing what we know now about the c-ship, I wouldn’t be surprised if that played a huge part in the decision for her mic to be off (whether that’s a form of control or just simply lack of motivation on her part)

• Like 3
On 8/4/2021 at 10:41 PM, Urbanney said:

I don’t know about you guys, but I was always perplexed by this. It’s been obvious she’s been lip syncing for years. Do we have any different feelings or theories about this now? Did she not realize her mic was turned off? Was this a dig at her not being allowed to speak/sing freely on stage due to the cship? Does she just not like being painted in a bad light by the media? Something else?

I honestly think that she believes her mic is on but I don’t think she realizes how low they might have it compared to her playback. I’m sure that’s something currently out of her control. If she decides to perform again hopefully we can then look forward to more live vocals or at least something that isn’t predominately Pre recorded vocals. I honestly  don’t care either way though. I love her and I’ve been blown away every time Ive see her perform at one of her shows. #legend

• Like 2

Kind of lik

On 8/5/2021 at 12:11 AM, nthenwkiss said:

I mean - I love her, but she’s just plainly lying, it happens, and we all do it. She’s lied about other stuff in the past too, and will lie about other stuff later in her life; it’s called being human, defending your brand and having insecurities / getting nervous.

In show business you sometimes lie… like when artists endorse brands because of money and exposure but don’t really believe in the brand / product.

Or like when artists claim they are VERY involved in their projects - do you guys believe Rihanna has ever sketched a bra for her line? She’s probably given 3 options and chooses 1 she likes the most and then the other two are probably used later or for something else.

Same with Britney’s perfume lines; she probably has no idea how they smell like.

No shade, just perspective; also keep in mind that doing SO many shows a year… there can be a time your voice is just not up for it and you have to lip sync - or maybe you’re super tired that day or have a headache… it happens.

hahahaha yeah kind of like how all those Artists doing the iconic Pepsi ads but none of them actually drinks it. 

• Love 1