Britney Songs With Surprising Longevity?(Sometimes, Criminal & If U Seek Amy)

I think it's Sometimes, Criminal and If U Seek Amy.

Sometimes is her 9th most viewed solo song in Youtube, having 215m views, towering above a lot of her other songs. Not that it's unexpected that this song has longevity, but more on how much longevity and popularity it has compared to her other songs.

Criminal has 117m spotify streams, the most among the Femme Fatale songs.

If U seek Amy has 90m streams on Spotify.

Both Criminal and If U Seek Amy are in the top 10 most popular tracks in her Spotify page (as of date of this writing)

I think longevity implies a constant success/popularity that lasts through the years, like Toxic or BOMT, but the songs you mention I think they're a different phenomenon.

I mean, I love those songs, don't get me wrong, but years ago, and for a long time, nobody cared for them. In the case of Sometimes, it's benefiting from BOMT, it's like a side effect of the amount of views it gets. Around 2015 or so, the classic songs like BOMT,  Toxic and OIDIA started to receive a huge amount of views, after years of the likes of Womanizer, I Wanna Go and Work ***** ruling her channel. It was mostly due to all those "teenagers react to X song" kind of videos that became trendy/viral. Rapidly BOMT grew exponentially in views, and the first suggestion you would always see was Sometimes or Crazy. Inevitably, these songs started to receive a lot of attention too (though Crazy took more time to reach 100M). BOMT doesn't stop and keeps at #1 in views, and so Sometimes keeps growing alongside it, though at a lesser extent.

In the case of Criminal, it's been part of several "viral-ish" trends, first with that Joker movie or something, then with the tik tok videos, and the latest one I don't know why, but it seems to be a recurrent track for this kind of things, thus its current popularity. And apparently something similar happened recently with If U Seek Amy, and I think Gimme More as well, but I'm too old to keep up to date with that stuff.

In terms of "longevity" I think Ooh La La was one of the songs that for some reason kept getting a constant, even though lower, amount of attention through the years, reaching the 100M views a few years later, compared to other contemporary videos, like Perfume or Make Me...

• Love 3
  • Like 1

despite Britney herself hating sometimes, that's a fan and general public fav, the theme of the song is very universal.

it's pretty much about catching butterflies when it comes to a crush..

alot of people can relate to it, a friend of mine always asks why she hates such a beautiful song like that, I'm like maybe it's something she couldn't relate to at all. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think longevity implies a constant success/popularity that lasts through the years, like Toxic or BOMT, but the songs you mention I think they're a different phenomenon.

I mean, I love those songs, don't get me wrong, but years ago, and for a long time, nobody cared for them. In the case of Sometimes, it's benefiting from BOMT, it's like a side effect of the amount of views it gets. Around 2015 or so, the classic songs like BOMT,  Toxic and OIDIA started to receive a huge amount of views, after years of the likes of Womanizer, I Wanna Go and Work ***** ruling her channel. It was mostly due to all those "teenagers react to X song" kind of videos that became trendy/viral. Rapidly BOMT grew exponentially in views, and the first suggestion you would always see was Sometimes or Crazy. Inevitably, these songs started to receive a lot of attention too (though Crazy took more time to reach 100M). BOMT doesn't stop and keeps at #1 in views, and so Sometimes keeps growing alongside it, though at a lesser extent.

In the case of Criminal, it's been part of several "viral-ish" trends, first with that Joker movie or something, then with the tik tok videos, and the latest one I don't know why, but it seems to be a recurrent track for this kind of things, thus its current popularity. And apparently something similar happened recently with If U Seek Amy, and I think Gimme More as well, but I'm too old to keep up to date with that stuff.

In terms of "longevity" I think Ooh La La was one of the songs that for some reason kept getting a constant, even though lower, amount of attention through the years, reaching the 100M views a few years later, compared to other contemporary videos, like Perfume or Make Me...

Sometimes is a Britney classic in my country, so I'm not doubting it's popularity here. Overall tho.....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, aspireone said:

Sometimes is a Britney classic in my country, so I'm not doubting it's popularity here. Overall tho.....

Yeah, and all the songs were quite popular here too, what I'm saying is, for many, many years, Sometimes was nowhere as popular on her youtube channel (most of the videos were uploaded in 2009). Newer videos like Womanizer, IWG, TTWE, WB were at the lead for a long time. Then after those, came the bigger hits like BOMT, Toxic, Oops, Circus, etc. It wasn't until BOMT exploded in views a few years ago, that suddenly, Sometimes started to rapidly grow too, which is the effect you see now, because BOMT doesn't stop getting views either. So yeah, of course people like it, but for the longest time they had forgotten about it, until BOMT became trendy again, and Sometimes started appearing in the recommendations OR people started remembering about it. 

7 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

despite Britney herself hating sometimes, that's a fan and general public fav, the theme of the song is very universal.

it's pretty much about catching butterflies when it comes to a crush..

alot of people can relate to it, a friend of mine always asks why she hates such a beautiful song like that, I'm like maybe it's something she couldn't relate to at all. 

Sometimes would always play at the pharmacy I worked at as a teen (I’m 21)

it was so hard holding back and not talking to old people about Britney lol

29 minutes ago, Britman512 said:

Sometimes would always play at the pharmacy I worked at as a teen (I’m 21)

it was so hard holding back and not talking to old people about Britney lol

I remember being 17 and hearing 2 become 1 at a grocery store. I'm 37, and to hear more of the modern music at wal mart minda disturbs me. ... but intrigues me none the less.