Jump to content

Give EXPLANATION : Britney Spears wasn't Banned from the Radio


Recommended Posts

Just now, Applejack said:

it doesn't explain Oops era and anything after BOMT the song

Correct, BOMT charted at number 1, with oops limited copies were issued I couldn't buy mine during the first 2 weeks thats why I remember this. 

She was played quite a lot for her first 2 albums on the radio, but radio play is an important part but doesn't constitute 100% - Jive pushed album sales where women succeeded big time read my above replies to see how much she sold. 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, cubasterd said:

No problem. There is also a 3+ hour video hearing online from 2003. I didn't watch it all but I did read the transcript parts that mention Britney.

Omg link

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Her last 10 Million global seller was 2003's In the zone, the sales decrease from her first album of the millennium to in the zone, was one of the most fastest sales drop ever, usually an artist as hot as Britney was, would see a sales increase, but that wasn't the case, her numbers kept dropping, the more creative control she was given. 

The industry was changing also. Music piracy was at its peak. Child me would go to a dollar store and find her albums for less then half the price. Then torrent came in and everyone of a certain age were downloading music ilegaly. It only started to get better circa 2008/2009. Everyone dropped in sales unless they pulled a double effort to promote their materials or their target audience didnt have much access/expertise to reach for these ilegal means. It was estimated that Blackout was one of the most pirated albums to date according to some specialized music magazines/websites. When I moved from my parents home I left a box full of CDs, there were single collections of Britney that never really existed lol. Inocent child me had no idea those werent real, I just thought they were cheaper because it had no photos or posters inside. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Hungry Hun said:

The industry was changing also. Music piracy was at its peak. Child me would go to a dollar store and find her albums for less then half the price. Then torrent came in and everyone of a certain age were downloading music ilegaly. It only started to get better circa 2008/2009. Everyone dropped in sales unless they pulled a double effort to promote their materials or their target audience didnt have much access/expertise to reach for these ilegal means. It was estimated that Blackout was one of the most pirated albums to date according to some specialized music magazines/websites. When I moved from my parents home I left a box full of CDs, there were single collections of Britney that never really existed lol. Inocent child me had no idea those werent real, I just thought they were cheaper because it had no photos or posters inside. 

Despite the initial criticism of streaming by the industry, the industry itself saw for the first time in years rebounding to actually great financial wealth. 

 

I know someone who worked for Sony at the time of Blackout, and the denial of digital release was so oblivious, they were focused on physical sales it proved to hurt them, and they acted oblivious to the times. People wanted music cheap, not 20 bucks a cd, which costs only 3 cents to manufacture a cd for an album, so the price inflation was also foul. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Prachi said:

Correct, BOMT charted at number 1, with oops limited copies were issued I couldn't buy mine during the first 2 weeks thats why I remember this. 

She was played quite a lot for her first 2 albums on the radio, but radio play is an important part but doesn't constitute 100% - Jive pushed album sales where women succeeded big time read my above replies to see how much she sold. 

Oops went top ten, but they issued the limited cd single, the day of the album, what was jive thinking of doing that kind if release simultaneously. 

Everybody didn't know why it didn't go number one, I said it could of, jive biggest **** up was issuing it the day the album came out, we wanted the album then, and a remix over a non album track hurt it as well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, cubasterd said:

The singles from the 'Britney' album weren't banned, they were blacklisted from getting normal rotation.  This meant that no matter how much the song was requested or how popular it was, Clear Channel radio gave orders to radio stations to not give her songs regular airplay. Clear channel did this to punish major artists who did not sign contracts with their touring agency.

In 2003, the US Senate held a hearing to investigate Clear Channel and that is when the public/ fans had proof of what we suspected for years. Britney was named as one of the punished artists.

THIS is exactly what happened! Radio stations who were not run by Clearchannel still played her music!

Link to comment

I always felt Britney’s single underperformed on the Hot 100 because Jive was releasing the single too late. The airplay was here but the timing on the physical single was always off. Or not enough of them were shipped to the stores. They maximized the album sales instead. That’s why she was the queen on the album sales. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Stefani said:

How much did radio count towards the Billboard Hot 100 back in 2004? Because I always thought that even without complete radio support her physical single sales should've been high enough for her songs to do well on the chart since she had a massive fanbase at the time. 

This was also around the time regular people learnt how to download songs (illegally) and started burning their own CDS.
 

Even in Australia I saw so many home made versions of Britney (& the crossroads movie) being sold illegally at markets and between friends etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, limezd said:

I always felt Britney’s single underperformed on the Hot 100 because Jive was releasing the single too late. The airplay was here but the timing on the physical single was always off. Or not enough of them were shipped to the stores. They maximized the album sales instead. That’s why she was the queen on the album sales. 

Me against the music could have been top 20 without radio cos Madonna was blacklisted cos of the American life fiasco, but Jive issued a 7 track maxi single, which Britney fan wants the club remixes, everybody said it ended up being the top dance single, I always said Madonna had the 2003 single with die another day, she had it again with hung up..

 

Britney fans didn't buy the single the way us Madonna fans did. So we wouldn't buy the album. 

Had there been a 2 track single with girls and boys as the b side, Britney fans would have got that in droves vs..the remix cd single. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The effect of the blacklist has repercussions to this day, seeing as the Britney album is in the bottom 3 albums with the least plays in spotify.

Meanwhile tho, Youtube has slave, Overprotected and NAGNYAM with over 100million views and Boys over 50million

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, aspireone said:

The effect of the blacklist has repercussions to this day, seeing as the Britney album is in the bottom 3 albums with the least plays in spotify.

Meanwhile tho, Youtube has slave, Overprotected and NAGNYAM with over 100million views and Boys over 50million

MTV supported the Britney era. 

If anybody who truly suffered the most from a blacklisting It would be Janet Jackson. 

 

She suffered the most and her spotify and YouTube views show it. 

 

Not many people know her outside of Michael Jackson's sister.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

MTV supported the Britney era. 

If anybody who truly suffered the most from a blacklisting It would be Janet Jackson. 

 

She suffered the most and her spotify and YouTube views show it. 

 

Not many people know her outside of Michael Jackson's sister.  

 

 

Janet truly suffered the most. She's one of the most influential artists of all time, yet her music video views are sadly miniscule.

They erased her legacy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
19 hours ago, aspireone said:

Janet truly suffered the most. She's one of the most influential artists of all time, yet her music video views are sadly miniscule.

They erased her legacy.

Yes, it’s shocking how low her views are. 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block