Rolling Stone: Greatest Music Videos of all Time - "Baby One More Time" at #30, "Formation" at #1

Nobody knows the formation video tho.

I get that they want to support its message but lots of music videos have political messages and weren’t on the list either so……..like is this about messaging or about the art of the music video and cultural impact? Cause formation video did not cause any cultural impact………

I would’ve said single ladies is Beyoncé’s most memorable video that most people know. The simplicity and the choreo was legit. 

ive seen comments that NO Janet Jackson was on the list and if that’s true then that is absolutely deranged. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, kdub87 said:

This further cements my belief that they have zero credibility lol. I bet the age of the editors etc impacts their decisions massively. Maybe Madonna was their generations No.1 but she certainly isn’t ours.

Ok but let’s be honest Madonna is thee Queen of Pop, like that’s not really debatable I could understand frustration with that. And to even have Gaga before her or Whitney or Mariah or Janet or Britney is laughable.

• Love 1

I love Formation but this is such a bad joke and flop list :orangu_orangutan_ape: You just have to show the BOMT outfit, and people know what song it is, who sang it, and what that outfit is. That is HOW iconic the video is. I would also like to state that this acclaimed video concept was given by BRITNEY herself. And to not even feature Oops!... and Toxic? Terribly done list :katyfrog_perry_upset_um:

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Easy There said:

They are not talking about videos that are iconuc and "remembered".

Formation is a masterpiece. I wouldnt exactly put it on no.1 spot. But it is an amazing music video

And it is the most awarded Music video of all time, even surpassing Thriller in the acclaim department..

But some of my friends stated it Michael made mini movies as some of his videos go into 16 or 30 minutes, so of course he's going to be removed cos the ADD generation actually hates movies and prefers 30 Minute tv shows so it's not only music, but also visual entertainment as well got affected by the short attention span of current generations, they also noted the lack of intelligence on tv scripts actually is solid proof that society is being dumbed down as well to match The housewives and Kardashians in terms of fictional entertainment..

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

I love Formation but this is such a bad joke and flop list :orangu_orangutan_ape: You just have to show the BOMT outfit, and people know what song it is, who sang it, and what that outfit is. That is HOW iconic the video is. I would also like to state that this acclaimed video concept was given by BRITNEY herself. And to not even feature Oops!... and Toxic? Terribly done list :katyfrog_perry_upset_um:

Again its not about how memorable it is. Its about how good music video is. And Formation is amazing. Cinematography vise is miles ahead of BOMT. But that understandable based on budget and year it was made.

You guys are always offended by something.

Plus in 2016 a black woman declaring she's proud to be a black woman, let's not forget Rihanna was criticized for using her native English over traditional English..

Work was done i, Patois, which is broken English, and at the time of Trump and racism rising, both Bey and Rihanna were praised for embracing their cultures which was something that people shamed them for. 

In 2021, 5 years after both events, we still haven't learned that celebrating and embracing culture is still needed..

The irony is even the lyrics was misunderstood and misinterpreted..

"I see it, I want it

I work hard, I own it

Cos, I slay"

"When he fu7k me good, I take his *** to Red Lobster (apparently that's actually a saying and a tribute, not like this anti feminist statement which was interpreted to be)

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Easy There said:

Again its not about how memorable it is. Its about how good music video is. And Formation is amazing. Cinematography vise is miles ahead of BOMT. But that understandable based on budget and year it was made.

You guys are always offended by something.

Like I said, I love the MV, but nobody has ever said that 'Formation' is the greatest video besides this magazine. I am 100% there are much better videos which touch on the topics 'Formation' has. For the matter, it's concept was great but it's cinematography was just good. Still don't see it getting the #1 position.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DougFrmBrazil said:

Formation is a woke song and video that’s why landed at #1. Nothing surprising.

Woke songs have an artistic or social purpose, but the last works from Beyoncé just look to take advantage from a social movement while she is posing and dancing with different looks, there are hundreds of videos like those. 

On 7/31/2021 at 6:12 PM, Blackout2006 said:

Like I said, I love the MV, but nobody has ever said that 'Formation' is the greatest video besides this magazine. I am 100% there are much better videos which touch on the topics 'Formation' has. For the matter, it's concept was great but it's cinematography was just good. Still don't see it getting the #1 position.

Welp you tried to claim Baby is better mv then Formation. Whilst 10x more iconic,visually is not better than Formation.

Anyhow who cares what some intern at Rolling Stones says.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9524a85dd9236c931e3e

• Haha 1
On 7/31/2021 at 8:59 AM, DougFrmBrazil said:

Formation is a woke song and video that’s why landed at #1. Nothing surprising.

Is it? Wasn't the video about a privileged woman that boasts about "slaying" (I use this term loosely because effin your man after Red Lobster isn't entirely an accomplishment is it?) in a low SES area and sees her snobbery as some kind of vengeance despite the continued economic hardships the people from New Orleans face?