Rolling Stone: Greatest Music Videos of all Time - "Baby One More Time" at #30, "Formation" at #1

1 minute ago, DollyParton said:

Gay clubs or just any random clubs? I used to live there for four years, lol. She is populair in the gay scene obviously, but thats about it. :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

Well, I am not gay so I've really never been into gay clubs TBH! Random clubs, maybe as you have lived there you know better. But everybody I've met at least knows her 4-6 songs! 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Prachi said:

Well, I am not gay so I've really never been into gay clubs TBH! Random clubs, maybe as you have lived there you know better. But everybody I've met at least knows her 4-6 songs! 

I know, you’re female and straight, already checked that out. :jumpney_britney_green_excited_yay: She is indeed well known in the Netherlands, cause she used to be all over the place during her prime. But nowadays nobody cares about her. But thats just my perception 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DollyParton said:

I know, you’re female and straight, already checked that out. :jumpney_britney_green_excited_yay: She is indeed well known in the Netherlands, cause she used to be all over the place during her prime. But nowadays nobody cares about her. But thats just my perception 

Well, in terms of caring I think only super fans stick otherwise GP just enjoys music - Britney is quite known from what I've seen as her songs still being played is a hit sign to me! Like even for Madonna people don't care now but she's WW known and so some of her hits. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Prachi said:

Well, in terms of caring I think only super fans stick otherwise GP just enjoys music - Britney is quite known from what I've seen as her songs still being played is a hit sign to me! Like even for Madonna people don't care now but she's WW known and so some of her hits. 

True that:mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

• Love 1

Ive never seen Formation. In my writing class, our professor put on Beyonce "Flawless" music video that features a speech from Adichie. And in my group, everyone was so shocked I never seen that video or heard that song. They were like, "what? How have u never heard that song?!" And I was like "i dont really like Beyonce's music that much"...and the look of disbelief on their faces! I swear the Carters are just like Jamie Spears- spending millions for media outlets to shift the narrative in their favor. 

I recognize the talent and hardwork Beyonce put into her career but the way people act like shes is Jesus is beyond me.

I dont think these music videos can accurately be compared. It's like the Oscars. I view this as if Formation was the film "Moonlight" and Baby was "Avengers". Moonlight won the academy awards for best picture, has critical claim for dealing with race and social issues. Avengers was a huge film that spoke to different generations, had huge impact, is more globally successful but it would never be nominated for Best Picture. So I'm saying now that Beyonce does more woke music, critics are going to praise that over a fun song that Britney could do. How can music videos that touch on social issues be compared to videos that are light hearted but have iconic imagery, choreo, storyline? It's not a fair comparison. Just because something that doesn't touch on deep issues, doesn't mean it's not as impactful. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, MikeHunt said:

Ive never seen Formation. In my writing class, our professor put on Beyonce "Flawless" music video that features a speech from Adichie. And in my group, everyone was so shocked I never seen that video or heard that song. They were like, "what? How have u never heard that song?!" And I was like "i dont really like Beyonce's music that much"...and the look of disbelief on their faces! I swear the Carters are just like Jamie Spears- spending millions for media outlets to shift the narrative in their favor. 

I recognize the talent and hardwork Beyonce put into her career but the way people act like shes is Jesus is beyond me.

I dont think these music videos can accurately be compared. It's like the Oscars. I view this as if Formation was the film "Moonlight" and Baby was "Avengers". Moonlight won the academy awards for best picture, has critical claim for dealing with race and social issues. Avengers was a huge film that spoke to different generations, had huge impact, is more globally successful but it would never be nominated for Best Picture. So I'm saying now that Beyonce does more woke music, critics are going to praise that over a fun song that Britney could do. How can music videos that touch on social issues be compared to videos that are light hearted but have iconic imagery, choreo, storyline? It's not a fair comparison. Just because something that doesn't touch on deep issues, doesn't mean it's not as impactful. 

Agreed here, US media needs to quit this narrative now! Beyonce is seen as a performer everywhere else and that's about it - I am not able to understand this Queen/Next MJ persona. Either Bey is paying all this outlets or media is trying to please her. I've seen Formation and it's a good video but sorry nowhere will be and is known WW! Thriller impacted way more, I am very much in disbelief. 

Not just Britney, lot of artists are disrespected her - I mean Formation is the greatest video of all time, give me a break.

• Love 5

The media continues to kiss Beyonce's *** at every turn. It's embarrassing. I didn't expect Brit to top the list but how the **** is Formation more iconic than Thriller or Billie Jean? Or any 80's music video for that matter? Trolling Stone is so cucked I can't stand it.

• Love 8

3 hours ago, Prachi said:

Lol green is the best where Britney has sold, yellow better than most and red not really. 

They have showed India yellow for both but this is in terms of selling as music data from here is hard to collect. But, britney has sold only behind Madonna when people use to buy CDs here. So in india she's quite big. 

3 hours ago, Prachi said:

Heatmap, where the artist is most famous in terms of selling. 

Tanzania is one of the, "red countries", in Africa listed for Britney (The country isn't any colour for Beyonce as she isn't, "popular enough", to have even minorly broken out into the Tanzanian market), it's where a portion of my family is from and my grandmother always talks about how Britney was the biggest foreign act since Elvis and Whitney there, everybody knew her despite it even being listed as poor market for her. And she was even living in one of the more closed-off, poorer parts of the country. Really shows how Britney was pretty much the last superstar in the traditional sense (you could count Gaga but her fame came as a commentary on superstar culture as opposed to actually embodying the trope). Heck, some of my family in Tanzania even know some of the deets on the Free Britney movement because she's pretty much the last alive foreign star to be even a tiny tiny tiny bit semi-relevant there.

• Love 2

Baby One More time signaled one of the biggest pop revivals and cultural shifts of all time. Britney is literally credited at bringing teen pop back! It’s right up there with Thriller in terms of its impact’ I don’t see anybody dressing up as Beyoncé in Formation every October 31st! 

• Love 1
  • Like 3