Simone Biles pulls out of the team final to focus on her mental health

Im gonna be in the minority here and say I'm kinda disappointed in her. If she bailed for individuals- fine. But she's the teams captain and she bailed on the group as a whole. Imagine the decades training, financials and sacrifice the other girls put up with to get to the pinnacle of their athletic careers and their own captain peaces out when the pressure is on. It's the Olympics! It's the best of the best out there competing. Everyone has to be feeling the pressure. What bugs me the most is that she tells them they'll be fine, it's your first Olympics, Ive been before aka I already got my gold medal, but go out and kick some azz! Honestly the same group of girls probably won't even make it back again- maybe one or two. 

I understand the impact of having the entire world's eyes on you and the amount of pressure that comes from that and the pressure she put on herself, and that's gotta be heavy as hell. I'm all for protecting one's self and she did what she needed to do. But like I said it's just a disappointing situation (and this isnt me saying this as an American, but when I think of the other girls)

2 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Im gonna be in the minority here and say I'm kinda disappointed in her. If she bailed for individuals- fine. But she's the teams captain and she bailed on the group as a whole. Imagine the decades training, financials and sacrifice the other girls put up with to get to the pinnacle of their athletic careers and their own captain peaces out when the pressure is on. It's the Olympics! It's the best of the best out there competing. Everyone has to be feeling the pressure. What bugs me the most is that she tells them they'll be fine, it's your first Olympics, Ive been before aka I already got my gold medal, but go out and kick some azz! Honestly the same group of girls probably won't even make it back again- maybe one or two. 

I understand the impact of having the entire world's eyes on you and the amount of pressure that comes from that and the pressure she put on herself, and that's gotta be heavy as hell. I'm all for protecting one's self and she did what she needed to do. But like I said it's just a disappointing situation (and this isnt me saying this as an American, but when I think of the other girls)

That's one way of looking at it, but she can't perform at her level if she's not in the right mindset. She could seriously injure herself, and ultimately her performance would bring down the team. At the end of the day, I think its a decision that might look easy, but it really isn't.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block