Why USA editions of Britney's albums always had less songs than international editions?

2 hours ago, SLV4U said:

I *hate* this type of marketing. Wanting people to buy the same album several different times is just disrespectful to the fans. Not only do other countries get exclusives, but sometimes even within the US, certain stores get exclusives. Demi Lovato's newest album has like 3-4 different versions just in the US. 

I don't think, at least back in the day, that they expected let's say, people from the USA to buy the Japanese version of an album. However, it was more common from other countries to get the American version as an import, before it was released in their region, so as the article someone posted says:

To distinguish it from other releases

If an album has already been released by another publisher, the next publisher may want to ensure their new version stands out against the older release, which may now be on clearance or available to buy second hand, or cheap to import. This could include better packaging, inclusions of bonus tracks such as b-sides from the singles or live recordings, or a new remastering of the audio.

With other artists, for example in Latin America, singers like Fey or Shakira would release their albums in Brazil with a song or couple of songs translated into Portuguese, or maybe a remix, or something like that, because probably most of their audience in there already had the standard Spanish edition, which usually would come first.

So if any, it's the countries outside of the country of origin of the artist that they are expecting to buy the multiple versions.