Jump to content

Why USA editions of Britney's albums always had less songs than international editions?


Recommended Posts

I wish we knew.

Usually albums for the US and Europe don't differ much, but Jive did it their way. 

Too bad they used the standard b-sides as bonus tracks in Japan. Would have been amazing if they used some other unreleased tracks.

Also, "Deep In My Heart", "Girl In The Mirror" and "When I Found You" are wonderful tracks, it's inconsiderate to leave them off the albums.

I am happy about one thing, that they changed the cover of BOMT in Europe.

  • Love 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Usually the artist promotes the album quite a lot in the USA.

Europe and other countries don't get nearly as much as promo performances, interviews, ... as they do in the USA.

In order to promote the album internationally, they add bonus tracks in the hope it will push people to buy the album (as a result of the 'lack' of promo). That's also why 99% of the time they are announced through big hype stickers on the album.

 

As with Japan, this has a specific reason why they get bonus material only for Japan (and sometimes other Asian countries): For some reason, CD's are very expensive in Japan and in order to push people buying the album, they would often get exclusive bonus tracks (Mood Ring, Scary, remixes, ...) ALONG with bonus material such as a DVD with music videos, a calander, stickers, bracelet, guitar puck, ... really anything can serve as extra.

  • Love 8
  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

Usually the artist promotes the album quite a lot in the USA.

Europe and other countries don't get nearly as much as promo performances, interviews, ... as they do in the USA.

In order to promote the album internationally, they add bonus track in the hope it will push people to buy the album (as a result of the 'lack' of promo). That's also why 99% of the time they are announced through big hype stickers on the album.

 

As with Japan, this has a specific reason why they get bonus material only for Japan (and sometimes other Asian countries): For some reason, CD's are very expensive in Japan and in order to push people buying the album, they would often get exclusive bonus tracks (Mood Ring, Scary, remixes, ...) ALONG with bonus material such as a DVD with music videos, a calander, stickers, bracelet, guitar puck, ... really anything can serve as extra.

But those bonus tracks are actually not good enough , that's why they are omitted from usa

Link to comment
  • Twitter Team

I'm not sure about international countries in general but in Japan, albums usually have bonus tracks as they are generally more expensive there. The bonus tracks are just an incentive to try and get consumers to buy them over imported versions (which are usually cheaper). 

Tbf a lot of international versions of albums by other US artists usually have bonus tracks on them as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Isla said:

Lol I wouldn't say that's true when some of Britney's bonus tracks are some of my favourite songs by her (e.g. Before the Goodbye, Don't Hang Up, Get Back, Up N Down, Scary etc.)

I mean wasn't good for jive, that's why they didn't put it on american editions 

Link to comment
  • Twitter Team
9 minutes ago, AngelinaSpears said:

I mean wasn't good for jive, that's why they didn't put it on american editions 

Yeah I guess. Jive apparently had conflicts with BT which lead to Before the Goodbye not being included on the standard edition of Britney (album) but they still included it as an international bonus track I guess as a gesture of goodwill? It was originally intended as the album's lead single before I'm a Slave 4 U.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, AngelinaSpears said:

I mean wasn't good for jive, that's why they didn't put it on american editions 

that's not true at all. Choosing bonus tracks has nothing to do with the label finding them not good enough for the USA.

Artists decide together with the label what songs to put on an album and what songs to keep 'in the vault' for future references (re-releases, bonus tracks, anniversary editions, ...).

They record about 40+ songs for each album usually and they have to choose only 10+ tracks to make it to the final tracklisting. A song not landing on the standard tracklisting doesn't mean they don't think they're good, they're just not the most favorite ones by that artist (or lavel) to put out everywhere but they do like the songs to that point, they keep it as bonus tracks.

Mood Ring, the Japanese bonus track of Glory was actually one of Britney's most favorite songs of Glory and one of the very first ones to be recorded for Glory.

Same goes with "When Your Eyes Say It" which is a bonus track but was actually considered to be a single. It's rumoured she has made a music video for it. The track eventually became a bonus track.

"Get Back" was also considered to be a single, even considered as lead-single but "Gimme More" was chosen instead. The track was used for a Japan only bonus track.

 

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

that's not true at all. Choosing bonus tracks has nothing to do with the label finding them not good enough for the USA.

Artists decide together with the label what songs to put on an album and what songs to keep 'in the vault' for future references (re-releases, bonus tracks, anniversary editions, ...).

They record about 40+ songs for each album usually and they have to choose only 10+ tracks to make it to the final tracklisting. A song not landing on the standard tracklisting doesn't mean they don't think they're good, they're just not the most favorite ones by that artist (or lavel) to put out everywhere but they do like the songs to that point, they keep it as bonus tracks.

Mood Ring, the Japanese bonus track of Glory was actually one of Britney's most favorite songs of Glory and one of the very first ones to be recorded for Glory.

Same goes with "When Your Eyes Say It" which is a bonus track but was actually considered to be a single. It's rumoured she has made a music video for it. The track eventually became a bonus track.

"Get Back" was also considered to be a single, even considered as lead-single but "Gimme More" was chosen instead. The track was used for a Japan only bonus track.

 

 

When your eyes say it is on standard edition,not bonus track.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Isla said:

I'm not sure about international countries in general but in Japan, albums usually have bonus tracks as they are generally more expensive there. The bonus tracks are just an incentive to try and get consumers to buy them over imported versions (which are usually cheaper). 

Tbf a lot of international versions of albums by other US artists usually have bonus tracks on them as well. 

100% this! The bonus tracks were used to offset the higher price! I said were because in today’s world people buy most music digitally which doesn’t have to be imported and has pretty much the same price across the board. That’s why artists don’t always do international bonuses anymore. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Because RCA is the worst label and their strategies are old. It saddens me when I see a hot new artist signed with them, its a recepie for disaster. Somehow they think that makes the album sell more in some regions, that and having Standard vs Deluxe versions. In todays age those ideas just doesnt work. 

When Britney is free, her contract with them might have to be nullifed cause Jamie signed it as her legal guardian. I so wish Columbia would pick her up. Miley changed to Columbia after her fans couldnt find Plastic Hearts anywhere in its release week because RCA printed a very limited number and it affected its debute a lot. I've seen some people with connections talking in other forums that some labels are already working to offer Britney a deal, hope its true. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block