Best Selling Single of 1999 was ...Baby One More Time - The Start of it all.

1 hour ago, AngelinaSpears said:

Biggest song of 1999 and probably one of the most popular of all time

Song is timeless, literally no one after her has done what she did with just one song - people still dress like her on halloweens, the school costume to till this day holds a iconic place into the pop culture. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Here is the full article about it: 

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/official-top-40-best-selling-singles-of-1999__33647/

1999 saw the arrival of a popstar for who global domination would be instant: Britney Spears.

The former child star of Disney TV show The Mickey Mouse Club, Britney soon grew up in front of our very eyes, starting out with the undeniable classic ...Baby One More Time. Aided by a deliciously cheeky music video, the track stormed in at Number 1 in February, scoring 463,722 sales in its opening week, and finished the year on 1.45 million sales to be the UK's best-selling single of 1999.

The Max Martin-produced track kick-started a new ultra-slick style of pop from the US that would also earn Number 1 success in the UK for Backstreet Boys (May chart-topper I Want It That Way ranks 35th), and later *NSync and Pink. 

MORE: Official Top 40 biggest songs of 2021 so far

Britney's follow-up single Sometimes - also released that year - wasn't quite the runaway hit of its predecessor, peaking at Number 3, but still places at 34 on the end-of-year Top 40. View Britney's Official UK Chart history in full here.

• Love 1

She really took the world by storm. I think her debut is unmatched by anyone. 

Other legends became global icons on their second or third eras but not Britney. She climbed to number 1 right out of the womb so to speak. 

• Love 3
On 7/24/2021 at 11:24 PM, HIM said:

She really took the world by storm. I think her debut is unmatched by anyone. 

Other legends became global icons on their second or third eras but not Britney. She climbed to number 1 right out of the womb so to speak. 

And not just in her first era but right after her first single! 

If she didn't release any other single and album after BOMT, it would still be one of the most successful songs ever

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Lil-Jay said:

And not just in her first era but right after her first single! 

If she didn't release any other single and album after BOMT, it would still be one of the most successful songs ever

Completely agreed, I am still to see this kinda impact with just one single. 

• Love 1