Feeling like BuzzFeed News' new #FreeBritney article, and parasocial relationships, placed me in a weird box ☹️

• Leader
On 7/24/2021 at 3:37 PM, phareezy said:

This article wasn't very fair to you, Jordan. Or any fans for that matter. It definitely tried to make us sound like crazy people who don't have lives outside of Britney. I can only speak for myself, I guess but that certainly isn't true.

We all choose how we want to spend our free time. Everyone here has clearly chosen to make some time for Britney. Just because we're trying to help someone that has made an impact on us get their life back in our free time doesn't make us weirder than people who choose to spend their free time posting selfies on Instagram or thinking about writing think pieces about people who enjoy the work of a celebrity ( :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:) . I don't even think of #FreeBritney as a stan issue, it's a social justice issue, which just happens to have a huge celebrity as the face of it.

I get this fanbase has a spotlight on us right now but what about talking to people in a fanbase where the artist is actually gone? That could have helped to make this article feel more fulfilled. Michael Jackson did and still does have hardcore stans and after he died, they moved on and kept it moving. No one's life was shattered to the point of no return and there weren't any think pieces about their obsessions when he was going to court. 

Who is this woman? A team con plant :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating: don't let it get to you, @Jordan Miller. Seems like she had an agenda with this.

Appreciate your kind words. I feel like the article was pretty unfair and did make me sound kinda obsessed / weird, but I do feel inspired to make a counter article :taylor_swift_evil_smile:

• Like 1
  • Leader
On 7/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, hallucinate said:

Why write about something if you don’t understand it? That goes for this author and other blue checks I’ve seen posting about parasocial relationships lately - it seems to be a popular topic. This whole article is misguided. I’m sorry you got dragged into it.

Totally agree. Thank you thank you

On 7/24/2021 at 6:56 PM, Lucian85 said:

Wtf are they saying, I don't think anyone here is 'imagining a relationship with Britney' :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking:

I'm aware she doesn't know me, I just genuinely care for her & her story should be shocking to everyone, we're talking about human trafficking :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

I think that every fan of Britney is not her advocate and every advocate of hers is certainly not part of the fandom. I know that several of the biggest voices for Free Britney are lawyers who came because Human Rights. I don’t think Free Britney and “Britney’s fans” should be used interchangeably.

• Leader
On 7/24/2021 at 3:49 PM, Zeke said:

I just read the article and... yep you've got every right to feel upset, Jordan

There's this not-so-subtle undertone regarding your, and other fans, motives and mental health.

It's pretty sad taking into account what Britney's fans efforts have meant, not only to Britney's case but to conservatorships and other legal affairs in the U.S.

Appreciate that perspective. It did feel super icky to me that they kinda "evaluated" me a bit. Not a good look. 

• Love 1