Feeling like BuzzFeed News' new #FreeBritney article, and parasocial relationships, placed me in a weird box ☹️

• Leader
2 hours ago, Prachi said:

If it weren't for us "Fans" this day wouldn't have come, we love Britney and want her to live a free life, I wonder if this was happening to any other artist would they have a fandom rallying behind this having a full time job? Putting money into the movement and apart from her happiness we wont get anything. Britney is genuinely loved and I don't see any problem with this, if it weren't for the obsession this day would've never come - heck a documentary on her is nominated for Emmys - our movement alone will be planted in history. 

The way media portrays things sometimes is beyond pathetic, what is the problem loving someone? Britney is such a genuine person - it's not our mistake that most of the artists out there are fake! 

We love you J, and we all are in this. 

Appreciate the kind words. I totally agree the movement needed this volume of momentum for there to be change. :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

• Love 2
  • Leader
2 hours ago, Ghoulia said:

The article’s tone is pretty much bullying the so-called diehard fans. And it seems to be coming from a pseudo-medical stance. It’s the same kind of journalism that supports team con and labeled Brit as a crazy person in 07/08 based on a few isolated snapshots. 

The description of the blog’s beginning is just cruel. Jordan was a“…sophomore in high school. With too much energy and not enough activities…” That alone made me think the writer was team Con.

Yea it's like the wove in this doctor's definition of what parasocial interaction is but didn't take into context anything else. And yea I found that part about too much energy interesting. I did tell her that, but I also mentioned I channeled my energy into gymnastics and breatheheavy. I never said I didn't have enough activities. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

• Like 1
  • Leader
2 hours ago, ChaoticLuv7856 said:

Parasocial relationships is normal and healthy. This article was focusing too much on the bad side of it. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

Yea I agree. If anything they're neutral, and it's how it's conveyed that can be positive or negative. What about all the awesomeness Free Britney and fans have given to Britney and the world without expecting anything in return? Why not mention that at least in a footnote? 😔 

• Love 2
  • Leader
2 hours ago, Dreams said:

apparently spreading kindness and caring about human rights is weird ... ok

this just shows you how ****ed up our world is. people think kindness is unhealthy now?

even if britney doesn't know me, it's not just a britney issue , the corruption goes way further than britney , she's just the most famous example , there are a lot of britneys out there that don't have a voice to express themselves.

Yes - I read the article and started asking myself, like wait... is this unhealthy? Am I obsessed and imaging things? It was kinda a mind bender. 

• Love 1
  • Leader
2 hours ago, IRunAway said:

I think you’re giving too much power to the article.  Honestly I don’t even care to read it.  I read your post though.  Move on to writing something that brings you more joy and realize it’s only a certain sector’s opinion, and more people relate to how you feel on this subject than you realize.

Britney’s relationships with everyone are messed up, so of course she’s not going to have a two way relationship with any of us... that’s okay, it doesn’t mean that we still aren’t instrumental to getting her to where she is or helping her achieve feats and freedoms.  Every little thing can be a factor, and who cares what a few other people think?  They’ve got their own junk they’d feel weird about if another person on the internet chose to write an article about it.

I hear ya. I felt compelled to say something otherwise it'd kinda eat me up inside. I didn't feel like this was right and it's important I start speaking up for myself more than I have. You're right about fans being instrumental :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

• Love 2
  • Like 1
  • Leader
2 hours ago, John0164 said:

I guess this can give you a little more insight on what it’s actually like to be a celebrity. Constantly taken out of context or dissected in the eyes of others… or given a “label” or constantly diagnosed.. it’s tough! 

:gloria_falling_stairs_trip: 

Might need to stop interviews then if they're gonna get all warped and weird. 

• Love 1
  • Leader
2 hours ago, Slayer said:

I think what they said was extremely disrespectful and i did not like how they spoke about you at all.

Us fans know we are doing a great job and no article will defeat us.

Also, i'm proud of you @Jordan Miller for noticing something was up and taking action :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support: Mental health is SO important.

Appreciate that a lot. Yea I just felt like it was a bit disrespectful, right? At first I told myself I'm overreacting, but there's a reason I am feeling turned off by this article. 

And thank you for saying that last part as well. It was tough to admit to myself, and also tough to share it publicly, but if it'll maybe inspire someone else to seek out help I think that's awesome. There is literally nothing wrong with wanting to elevate yourself. It's commendable to me and I hope people take that away from this. Thank you for the support :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support: :katycry_perry_crying_tears_sad_sobbing:

• Love 1
  • Super Mods

I feel like most media outlets struggle to understand who a Britney stan is or what makes them a stan. In these #FreeBritney times, outlets think we’re borderline conspiracy theorists, social media trolls, an unorganized leaderless group that shows up to the Stanley Mosk Courthouse every hearing, internet sleuths uncovering documents, or 2020 versions of Chris Crocker yelling to leave Britney alone.

Sure, those types of stans I outlined above exist (and there’s nothing wrong with those stans [for the most part :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:]), but the outlets ignore what made us stans in the first place and the fact that literally any pop star has a fanbase with similar tendencies (although, I’ll wager that we go way harder for Britney than other stans do for their diva/pop star. :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:)

It’s sad that they tried putting you in a box, or using your example as a means to suggest how most or all Britney stans are going to react/feel once she’s freed. It’s too bad they didn’t highlight your experience in becoming a Britney stan, or even interviewing anyone else mentioned or not mentioned about why they became fans in the first place.

It seemed that they wanted to introduce a new buzzword (parasocial) and apply it in some way that would make people react.

You still represented yourself and BreatheHeavy well, like you always do! Just remember you’re stronger than yesterday and Buzzfeed can’t do anything about that! :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:

• Like 1
  • Leader
1 hour ago, sparrowhawk said:

@Jordan Miller are you a cancer (zodiac)? i am. oversensitivity is a thing for me (us?) BUT...I don't feel like you're being overly sensitive. as a journalism major...this article was clearly written with bias (like nearly every article nowadays is) and without consideration. ya technically speaking, we don't have interpersonal typical "relationships" with celebrities, but to say that means the relationship between celebrity and fan is "one-sided" is extremely reductive and basically casts everyone who stans a singer/actor/etc as a somehow mentally ill person. 

it's a reach for several reasons. to reduce the relationship between an artist and their fans to simply "parasocial" is ridiculous. an artist like britney creates with the intent of sharing and being understood or heard in some way and on some level, thus forming a bond or connection with her audience. a parasocial celebrity relationship would be stanning and obsessing over someone like emily d*ickinson (really? we are editing out poet's names now.......) - she never wanted the fame, died before her **** was published and never knew the world would idolize it. asked her sister to burn her poems and never publish them. never thought sissy would do the complete opposite (so it goes - "family" doesn't mean they are exempt from exploiting you...) that's completely different than a currently active artist and performer churning out material with the intent of mass consumption, concerts, meet and greets, etc.

long story short dude - tune this one out. it was written by someone who failed to do their journalistic homework (big surprise nowadays, hardy har har) and opted instead for a passive aggressive op-ed that slights the people he interviewed. leave it in the dust. :hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: 

Love this comment a lot. I do feel like she kinda slighted the people she interviewed. That tone extended to Leanne and Megan imo as well. I can't speak for them, so maybe they dont' take issue with this article, but the whole thing felt icky to me. Interesting about Emily D (sorry about the censor lol). 

Going to feel the feels today then tomorrow let this whole thing go and move on. :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

Appreciate your words greatly! Thank you. 

• Love 2
  • Leader
2 hours ago, Persona said:

the amount of times stans have to listen to someone ranting to them about paRasOciAl relationships I swear. as a kpop stan I should start charging a dollar every time someone tries to psycho analyze me. there's a really weird stigma attached to genuinely caring for an artist and it's always automatically assumed it's 100% unhealthy and i'm really tired of it. especially because it's also always implied the artist themselves couldn't care any less and while that's true for a lot of artists, it's not true at all for others. this just goes hand in hand with music stans (minus rock stans for some reason) in general getting treated like obsessed kids and I need it to stop honestly.

Yes exactly. Like I'm unhealthy or unstable. They didn't explicitly say that, but to me it felt like there were some implications. Appreciate your comment 🙏 

• Love 1
  • Leader
2 hours ago, Watch Me Work It said:

Yeah I don't like the tone of the article, maybe you could reach out and talk about your reception of it, it does feel negative.

I understand the concept of "parasocial relationships", but I don't think it's what happening here or the movement in general. I feel like it's the new term for "conspiracy theorists", but since it's no longer a conspiracy (Britney confirmed everything in court), they now attack us for... caring about her? Many of us grew up with her, obviously we care about her

I understand that not many people want to engage in fandoms or care to this extent about a famous person, but they also have to remember that this situation, this cship, is an exceptional situation for a celebrity.

YES. It does feel like conspiracy theorists rebranded in some facet. Like, I get what she's trying to say, but the delivery missed the mark imo. 

28 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Yes - I read the article and started asking myself, like wait... is this unhealthy? Am I obsessed and imaging things? It was kinda a mind bender. 

Don't worry about it, Buzzfeed is kinda corny anyway... I can't take them seriously with all their antics. They're all over the place. That writer is probably bored and ran out of ideas...

• Like 1
  • Leader
2 hours ago, Peter Pan said:

Don’t let it get to you. You’ve done great things. A lot of people have one sided feelings/relationship with people. Nothing wrong with it as long as you’re not dependent on it. 

We’ve all been extra/extreme/vocal about Britney’s situation but look where it brought us. The movement got bigger and bigger. I also feel a lot of us are gonna be fine after Britney is free. Personally I’m very vocal about FreeBritney but once Britney is free and decides to retire, I’ll be sad offcours, but life goes on. Britney is a big part of my life but definitely not the only part. 

Agreed 100% - everything in moderation. Admittedly there's been a Britney information overload as of late considering everything, but I don't necessarily thinks that puts me in this weird box that BuzzFeed placed me in. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 1

Ridiculous.. someone just want to look smart that’s it..

we all have our lives.. we have our own problems but that doesn’t mean that we care about a person, social behaviour, country economic crisis, global warning etc.. we are in a complex world and we are complex creatures who likes or dislikes many things and it includes sport, art, other people, nature, animals an so on..

some articles are writes by school students who thinks they discovered something but it’s really stupid thoughts wrapped by “clever” words

:trash_throw_away_recycle:

p.s. don’t spread such a mess plz

• Like 1