Maybe it’ll sound simple but there is an old question i'm very curious about. Since I am not very familiar with American culture, I thought some of you might know the answer. Why have some people been calling Britney as “Brittany” for years? They act like if her real name is Brittany and Britney was put in later after she became famous. Whereas the woman's name is Britney since the beginning . Am I supposed to infer that when they say Brittany they try to insult or belittle Britney?
  • Love 1

I'm not American but "Brittany" and "Britney" are pronounced the same in English, contrary to other languages. "Brittany" is the usual common name, "Britney" is very original.

another example: "Alicia" is written "Alisja" in Albania, if such a girl is famous WW most people would write "Alicia" because it's the name every is used to write :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:  same for the name "Chloé" "Chloey" "Khloe" "Kloe" "Kloé" "Khloé" "Khloey" idk how you write Kloey Kardashian :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Roger said:

What's going on with the OP ? :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

8 hours ago, Applejack said:

Britney and Brittany sound the same. So someone who go by their ears might write it wrong

Sorry it made it look black for some reason my thread was:

“Maybe it’ll sound simple but there is an old question i'm very curious about. Since I am not very familiar with American culture, I thought some of you might know the answer. Why have some people been calling Britney as “Brittany” for years? They act like if her real name is Brittany and Britney was put in later after she became famous. Whereas the woman's name is Britney since the beginning . Am I supposed to infer that when they say Brittany they try to insult or belittle Britney?”

• Love 1
20 hours ago, do the thing said:

I'm not American but "Brittany" and "Britney" are pronounced the same in English, contrary to other languages. "Brittany" is the usual common name, "Britney" is very original.

another example: "Alicia" is written "Alisja" in Albania, if such a girl is famous WW most people would write "Alicia" because it's the name every is used to write :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:  same for the name "Chloé" "Chloey" "Khloe" "Kloe" "Kloé" "Khloé" "Khloey" idk how you write Kloey Kardashian :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

Interesting how Brittany is the common name and I find it ugly:gross_britney_ew_sick_red_sunglasses_cringe_disgusted: But Britney looks so beautiful, and it's not just because of our Britney's name 

But honestly, I always heard and read about Britney through my entire life, because of our Britney ofc, in newspapers, TV, internet, (I'm a newer fan) and I never knew it's actually anusual spelling:idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no: 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Cinderella85 said:

The name Britney is actually spelled "Brittney". That's the way it is, that's how the general public knows it. But Lynn wanted her daughter to be special, so she took a T away. That's all.

One thing she did right, it's so much prettier!

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Watch Me Work It said:

I actually learned with the glee episode that Brittany and Britney sound the same in english :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

but anyway, after two decades people should have learned to write it correctly :xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused:

English is not my first language, but how can that even sound the same? I would understand if it was maybe Brittnay, not BrittAny....:wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell: 

Brittany sounds more like Great Britain to me lol