Being a Britney fan negatively impacts my mental health

I’m really sorry you’re feeling that way genuinely would want to suggest being more introspective is it something that is setting off your own personal anxieties?

I can’t speak for tou but for me I’m endlessly excited each day is finally something good no more threads about hairney and how often she touches her hair in a Vegas show.

britney is speaking for herself it’s uncertain what will happen but she’s free and able to talk and if that worries you I hope you’re okay and I am glad you found your voice to say it here and I hope you are able to have the same confidence in your own life. If not DM me I’m here but don’t stress Britney is finally doing good whatever happens we are there to support her but don’t let it ruin you you are more important remember that always care about you first Britney is only just doing that herself don’t feel scared for her or yourself I beg x

• Love 6
  • Super Mods

It doesn’t happen for me to the extent you described, but I understand what you mean. But like @Gordon said above, Britney is a fighter and a survivor, which serves as an inspiration in itself.

If it bothers you so much, maybe you should be more selective about when to engage with Britney news. For me, Exhale is a great place to share my concerns or thoughts about Britney’s situation, but sometimes it gets to be a lot (mainly balancing other peoples thoughts and opinions).

So yeah… maybe identify ways to cut down on the constant stream of news and care for yourself how you see fit! Exhale and Britney’s accounts/fan pages will always be there (unless shut down by Team Con :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:) so we’ll be here when/if you’re ready to return haha :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, MysticWomaney said:

I’m really sorry you’re feeling that way genuinely would want to suggest being more introspective is it something that is setting off your own personal anxieties?

I can’t speak for tou but for me I’m endlessly excited each day is finally something good no more threads about hairney and how often she touches her hair in a Vegas show.

britney is speaking for herself it’s uncertain what will happen but she’s free and able to talk and if that worries you I hope you’re okay and I am glad you found your voice to say it here and I hope you are able to have the same confidence in your own life. If not DM me I’m here but don’t stress Britney is finally doing good whatever happens we are there to support her but don’t let it ruin you you are more important remember that always care about you first Britney is only just doing that herself don’t feel scared for her or yourself I beg x

Thank you. That’s a really sweet response. 

I do think her situation does trigger things that have happened to me in my own life, so I think that’s part of the reason too. 

• Love 3

I totally understand how you feel. For me, though, Britney has filled the void for an even more toxic fandom - Hanson (Yes, Mmmbop Hanson. Go ahead and laugh. I'm used to it, and it doesn't bother me!)

For 2/3rds of my life, I've been a hardcore stan of 3 artists/groups: NSYNC, Britney, and Hanson. Nothing can or will ever replace them because they've been so deeply ingrained in my life for so long.

Hanson was especially close to my heart because they toured fairly often, so I usually had a concert to look forward to. But last summer, that all changed. I'll spare you the details because it's not Britney-related, but one member's Pinterest leaked (and was confirmed his) with tons of racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and generally bigoted content. Then they became COVID deniers and held multiple in-person concerts in their hometown, when COVID was at an all-time high and the hospitals in town had no beds available. Fans flew in for these shows from all over the country, and at least one person tested positive after attending. All this time, I'd been waiting for them to apologize. To do better. But they never did, and it killed me. It still kills me today. My 2020 was made so much worse because of them. I never thought I'd stop being a Hanson fan, but my morals are more important than my selfish desire to go to their shows. At this point, I probably wouldn't enjoy them anyway.

Recently, though, I've been able to shift my focus away from urging Hanson to become better people (a pointless battle) and instead focus on supporting Britney. For me, this has been an incredibly positive shift because I see the difference we're making. I've supported the movement for a while now by wearing Free Britney shirts and talking to non-fans about her c-ship, but her recent court dates pulled me into the deep end, and now I'm fully immersed.

So, yeah. I can completely understand how something like this can become consuming and take a toll on a person's mental health. Heck, I'm probably too consumed by her case myself. 

Anyway, you're not alone. I hope you take time for self-care. And don't feel bad about stepping away. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, SlayOut said:

It doesn’t happen for me to the extent you described, but I understand what you mean. But like @Gordon said above, Britney is a fighter and a survivor, which serves as an inspiration in itself.

If it bothers you so much, maybe you should be more selective about when to engage with Britney news. For me, Exhale is a great place to share my concerns or thoughts about Britney’s situation, but sometimes it gets to be a lot (mainly balancing other peoples thoughts and opinions).

So yeah… maybe identify ways to cut down on the constant stream of news and care for yourself how you see fit! Exhale and Britney’s accounts/fan pages will always be there (unless shut down by Team Con :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:) so we’ll be here when/if you’re ready to return haha :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

1 minute ago, Watch Me Work It said:

honestly take a break if you need to! this situation IS stressing, and now that we're getting more and more info every day, even more so. we all love her very much, I relate to what you wrote because every time something new comes out and we understand the depth of the abuse she endured these past few years, I also get very sad. But remember, she's in the road to freedom now! Take a break for a few days or weeks and come back when you are ready :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

Thank you. Most of you are really sweet :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

1 minute ago, PinkyAndStinky said:

I totally understand how you feel. For me, though, Britney has filled the void for an even more toxic fandom - Hanson (Yes, Mmmbop Hanson. Go ahead and laugh. I'm used to it, and it doesn't bother me!)

For 2/3rds of my life, I've been a hardcore stan of 3 artists/groups: NSYNC, Britney, and Hanson. Nothing can or will ever replace them because they've been so deeply ingrained in my life for so long.

Hanson was especially close to my heart because they toured fairly often, so I usually had a concert to look forward to. But last summer, that all changed. I'll spare you the details because it's not Britney-related, but one member's Pinterest leaked (and was confirmed his) with tons of racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and generally bigoted content. Then they became COVID deniers and held multiple in-person concerts in their hometown, when COVID was at an all-time high and the hospitals in town had no beds available. Fans flew in for these shows from all over the country, and at least one person tested positive after attending. All this time, I'd been waiting for them to apologize. To do better. But they never did, and it killed me. It still kills me today. My 2020 was made so much worse because of them.

Recently, though, I've been able to shift my focus away from urging Hanson to become better people (a pointless battle) and instead focus on supporting Britney. For me, this has been an incredibly positive shift because I see the difference we're making. I've supported the movement for a while now by wearing Free Britney shirts and talking to non-fans about her c-ship, but her recent court dates pulled me into the deep end, and now I'm fully immersed.

So, yeah. I can completely understand how something like this can become consuming and take a toll on a person's mental health. Heck, I'm probably too consumed by her case myself. 

Anyway, you're not alone. I hope you take time for self-care. And don't feel bad about stepping away. 

I used to LOVE Hanson when I was really little. I haven’t followed them much throughout the years but I did see them live a couple of years back.

That’s really horrifying and disappointing to hear about their behaviour during the pandemic and the posts a member of the band made. It always sucks when people you look up to turn out to be not the type of people you thought they were. 

Thank you for understanding and relating to what I said. It can take quite the toll when something major is happening to an artist or band that’s been an integral part of your life. 

• Love 2

it's not a weird topic, it's nice to express yourself.

Truth is it has only been complicated for me when I've seen her in person !! 

I saw her in flesh (like front row at her show or outside hotels) like 7 times and it was very hard each time because, I don't know if it only happens me but, when you admire someone so much and you have been busy reading this forum 50 times a day for the past 16 years or something it's very confusing to realize she's just a random human ! 

It's like you think she's God but then you seen her right in front of you and  you're like WOOW but then you wonder "why am I wasting my time and life analysing every detail of a .....person ?!"

It's the only moments I fell kinda weird about being a Britney fan.

It happened to me each time, I don't know if it happened to some of you guys aswell ???  :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Love 3
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Lost In Space said:

Thank you. That’s a really sweet response. 

I do think her situation does trigger things that have happened to me in my own life, so I think that’s part of the reason too. 

I dm’d you lovely 

I’m here to listen 

exhale has been here for me at my darkest points too and people reached out to me then. 
the new mass surge of people can make that daunting but we’re all still here 

• Love 2