23 years ago, The Spice girls released "Viva Forever", The final single from 1997's "Spiceworld"

In, 1998 after much delayed two months, Virgin records Limited,  The Spice girls released "Viva Forever" was issued as the final single, part of the delay was Geri's fast departure from the girls, on Mel B's Birthday (the audacity, but this led to animosity and resentment from Mel B, who during the remaining tour dates was hella shady to the drag queen that left and pray she flops), The original single was to be issued as a Double A Side with fan favorite 70s disco track Never give up on the good times, but with no time to re record Geri's lines the A side was abandoned to just "Viva Forever".

The Music video was directed by Academy award winning director Steve Box, of Wallace and Gromit fame, the video predicts the Spice girls as fairies, leading a boy to a rubix cube, which the boy goes in, and in the new HD ending turns into a fairy, also look for Geri going into another direction, as it signaled she's no longer in the girl group. 

According to the director, the video is about holding onto the innocence of a child, before teen pressure and stuff like teens do, that removes the innocence like s**, ***** and alcohol..

The track returned the girls to a familiar place in the UK #1, their 7th after Stop peaked at #2 in the UK. 

With 9 massive number ones in the UK, the Spice girls still are the girl group with the most #1 singles in the UK, and with only 11 career singles, that's an impressive track record..

The return of the Spice girls tour performance is iconic, all 5 performed the track, with Geri performing in the chorus and adding additional harmonies, but look at the very end, the light is only on her as she descends from the stage signifying her exit from the group in the tour's storyline. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, stanLOONA said:

I love this song :otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad: every time I hear this song I become emotional Frustrated Season 9 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

I always wanted the "dolls" of the video :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup:

The girls each have a doll, Australia had  Rare Limited edition singles with each doll given a cover, and of course Ginger was given as a press only promo single, making hers extremely rare, so Virgin was milking on her departure as well with this single, in the US. 

Hasbro had official dolls as the girls performing viva forever from the Wembley stadium gigs, and each doll contained Viva forever video, which was cool considering the track wasn't issued in the US at all. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

The girls each have a doll, Australia had  Rare Limited edition singles with each doll given a cover, and of course Ginger was given as a press only promo single, making hers extremely rare, so Virgin was milking on her departure as well with this single, in the US. 

Hasbro had official dolls as the girls performing viva forever from the Wembley stadium gigs, and each doll contained Viva forever video, which was cool considering the track wasn't issued in the US at all. 

are the dolls like the fairies in the mv?

Just now, stanLOONA said:

are the dolls like the fairies in the mv?

The Hasbro ones are a no, but the girls each have their own actual fairy, except Melanie C. She sold hers to fund Her fifth album The Sea, which I'm not mad, she's fully independent and you have to do what to do to stay independent.

I'm not mad, cos The Sea is actually the proper follow up to Northern star, 12 years later. 

• Super Mods

Honestly it still bothers me that the kid is okay with his friend getting kidnapped away by some freaky fairies  that goes into a rubics cube that shrinks itself , goes to pick it up and then begins to play with it not thinking “gee what if I’m killing my friend or the spice girls while doing this?” Even if everything is supposed to be metaphorical :boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair:

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Puppy said:

Honestly it still bothers me that the kid is okay with his friend getting kidnapped away by some freaky fairies  that goes into a rubics cube that shrinks itself , goes to pick it up and then begins to play with it not thinking “gee what if I’m killing my friend or the spice girls while doing this?” Even if everything is supposed to be metaphorical :boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair:

The kid didn't want to grow up, or lose that childhood innocence, watch the new ending, he is a fairy now. 

The director even said the new ending explains everything, he never liked the idea he couldn't stay a kid forever, him becoming a fairy, let him stay a kid forever 

• Love 2
  • Super Mods

Wow I cant believe it came out 23 yrs ago, 

it literally came out 2-3 weeks before my sister was born.

Anyways this song is so sad and completely gives me the chills.

This song seems like its about loss whether its death, breakup or the loss of innocence.

This is probably the best ballad they EVER released in their entire career!

Will always love it!

Dance pop artists in general whether Madonna, Britney spears, Janet Jackson and several others always gets their ballads overlooked cos most of their upbeat stuff is in general superficial or about having a good time, but everybody forgets just like human beings, the ballads allow them to be vulnerable, romantic and emotional in general which you don't often get from a dance pop act. 

It's actually said if you think about it. 

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, Spicechinodiva said:

The kid didn't want to grow up, or lose that childhood innocence, watch the new ending, he is a fairy now. 

The director even said the new ending explains everything, he never liked the idea he couldn't stay a kid forever, him becoming a fairy, let him stay a kid forever 

Yeah I get the meaning behind it but just saying, it still bothers me

I actually did saw the extended ending and it does make more sense, still doesn’t change how bizarre it is. Still appreciate the video and song, it’s one of their very best and it’s fitting with Geri leaving. I remembered watching it knowing she had left the group and having a very somber feeling. It’s one of my all time favs 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block