Gen Z fans ~ What made you a Britney stan?

So as we know, Britney fans from the Millennial & gen x generations grew up with Britney, we saw her burst into the pop scene like wildfire and witnessed her dominate the world in her prime years firsthand. I was born in 1994 and she was such a big part of my childhood pop culture memory, it was hard not to be in awe of Brit & her magic! :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

The younger side of Gen Z wouldn't have been exposed to primeney as much. If anything they'd be more familiar with 2006+ saga and all the years during the CON where she was less herself than before given what they'd done to her, alongside the media bullying (not that she was any less talented or
iconic). +Given how many other pop girls emerged during this time, it isn't surprising that her pop dominancey was rivalled/not as potent.

So I'm curious, how did you become a big fan? Do you have a sentimental story? Did #FreeBritney have anything to do with it? 

Edit: so I think the general consensus is that Millennials are born between 1981 to 1996. Gen Z are 1997 to 2012 ~ source 

Spoiler

Ps this post isn't meant to be ageist or divisive, I'm just curious & love hearing fan stories :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

Edited by Salsa555
  • Love 5

I was born in 1993 so i was really little when Britney burst onto the scene. i have no memory of her early years. But i did hear toxic as a kid prob 11 yro and loving it. I remember seeing womanizer on tv in 2008. I remember watching Crossroads and my sister had a dvd with the pepsi commercial, slave vma performance. Most of my knowledge of her comes from Youtube. I never seen TRL or been to any of her shows not even POM :(  I do remember listening to the blackout album years ago and i did watch her vma performance on tv in 2007.

• Love 8

well i first found out about knee cuz gimme more played on the radio in 2011 this was during the ff era so i heard ttwe a lot too but i never really cared or knew who she was cuz i was like 8 or 9 then scream & shout came out and then there was pretty girls but eventually in 2016 i decided to start playing my wii again and there was this game called rayman: raving rabbids and it had this music mini game and one of the songs was toxic 

(here’s the game btw)

but i remembered hearing the beginning instrumental as a kid so i looked up the song and it started from there lmao

• Love 4
  • Haha 2

I honestly think it's just from natural exposure growing up with her music and media attention. There was never any "discovery" moment but my earliest Britney memories were everything happening in 2007 and the Blackout singles being played. I loved the Circus and FF eras as a kid and went to see her on TC:SBS tour, but then clocked out until 2018/19 ish?

• Love 4

When as 10 years old, the FF era was everywhere here in Brazil and I became obsessed with the songs and the music videos, although I didn't understand much anything about what was happening in that time, I found her so fascinating. But I really began to follow her during the Ooh La La/BJ era, which was a pretty rough start (:cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:), and even though all of that, her personality, music and talent made me fall in love with her until today.

• Love 8

I was born in 2000, the first time I ever heard Bomt was off a cartoon movie called ROBOTS, but I didn’t not know that was Britney Spears but I loved him he song!

I remember hearing about the headshaving when I was 7. I saw her on tmz with the pink wig, my aunt was with me and said “don’t ever do *****”

2008 and womanizer was everywhere, I would hear it a lot , and my older brother found the video funny because she was naked lol

i remember seeing her on tv live around this time too, and I asked my mom how her hair grew back so fast and she said it was a wig…

I don’t remember paying attention to much else until like xfactor and scream and shout. Around this time I also discovered her 2000 vmas and I was mesmerized 

at 13 work ***** came out and I was hooked!!!

I watched all her videos I love how she performed and

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, dojaknee said:

well i first found out about knee cuz gimme more played on the radio in 2011 this was during the ff era so i heard ttwe a lot too but i never really cared or knew who she was cuz i was like 8 or 9 then scream & shout came out and then there was pretty girls but eventually in 2016 i decided to start playing my wii again and there was this game called rayman: raving rabbids and it had this music mini game and one of the songs was toxic 

(here’s the game btw)

ADVERTISING

Skip
Ads by

but i remembered hearing the beginning instrumental as a kid so i looked up the song and it started from there lmao

This is so precious, I love the random stories the most, always my fave :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

• Love 4

1997 baby, an older gen z (or a very young millennial based on other's standards).

Some of the first memories I still remember is Slave 4 U being overplayed on MTV. Boys also was overplayed, but that was when I already started pre-school.

Didn't pay much attention to music tbh.

I remember If U seek amy and 3 in 09 and 10. Also remember TTWE and IWG being overplayed in 2011-2013 as well as Scream and Shout in 2012, not knowing it was Britney.

Became a stan when I rewatched BOMT in 2014 for a school thing.

• Love 5

I'm 13 years old, I got into Britney when I was 11, I already knew of her existence of course but this was when I got into her.

Basically one of my friends parodied a street sign referencing, "Oops!...I Did It Again", and told me to check out, "That Oops I Did It Again song by Mariah Carey!" (this was a one-time scenario, literally everyone else knows it by Britney) and I watched the music video and was blown away by the choreography, the energy, and found the song so addicting even though I had listened to it before. I was so used to mediocrity in mainstream music that I was literally shook. I spent the next months listening to the rest of discography. Back in 6th grade, me and my bestie would actually use the school computers to play the ...Baby One More Time music video in the hallways and dance to it if we finished work early, it was great. Britney is the only celebrity I've ever been obsessed with, I follow other artists but don't join forums with them to talk to her discography with other gay men who are like 3x my age for so I guess that says something. :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

TBH, 99% of us younger Gen Z people who are GP have no clue about 2007. We were just too young or in my case, not even alive! (Case in point if you don't believe me, Olivia Rodrigo who was born in '03 talked about having no idea about what happened to Britney till she saw it in the documentary) . Most of our memories are associated with the Femme Fatale album and Circus (although only a little for me for the latter since I was a literal infant during Circus), the Femme Fatale era was huge on the radio here, it was such an event. Even before I was a fan or even liked , I knew the title, "Princess of Pop", was synonymous for Britney Spears and most of my classmates have always thought the same. I would say she's viewed kinda like how all other pop stars prior to debuting this generation are, they're respected but they don't know everything about them kinda like Madonna/Michael/Whitney and are viewed as like important people. However they all know about Free Britney and all of them have been asking me about it since at school, since I'm known as the, "Britney guy/gay". :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

• Love 8

Born in early '98 as the youngest of four siblings, so I straddle the late millenial/early Gen Z border by getting so much influence from my older sisters. I distinctly remember being aware of Toxic all over the radio without thinking too much about the singer, then a few years later I got my sister to download a compilation of Britney's tracks on Limewire due to her heavy media presence. By the time Circus was released I was a fan, then that era just made me a superfan.

• Love 4

born in 2001 

knew her in 2009 with my computer watching womanizer because I got lost on YouTube. well the first video I've seen from her was when she lost her extensions in that cage during the circus tour. then I watched some of her MVs.

two years later FF era was everywhere in France, especially IWG & criminal. I found her insanely pretty and I made a fake YT account just to watch the criminal MV. I was aroused by her :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:  then I started to look for some of her content and I've really enjoyed her choreographies and MVs. I'm more into visuals than lyrics. I used to like some Rihanna songs (pop isn't really my favorite kind of music) but her videography is soooo disappointing. btw, I enjoyed insanely the FF era when I was a kid, I guess that's how nostalgia works. she gave you very high standards which explains why people found that era lackluster while in reality it seemed incredible for a lot of people.

then I got to know more and more things and ended up enjoying her personality and music. I remember having a b0ner when I discovered for the first time BOM & TOMH performances on the onyx hotel tour. she also became a s**-symbol for me at that moment lol

due to the movement + her songs on tiktok she's known by kids too, and has a new wave of people following her stuff, just like FF-era did.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

However they all know about Free Britney and all of them have been asking me about it since at school, since I'm known as the, "Britney guy/gay". :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

Love this!! :enigma_alien_blue: also love that she has a growing fan base amongst your age group :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

• Love 5

When I was around five years old in around 2007 I just remember hearing the name “Britney Spears” everywhere. I was enamored by who this person that the world seemed to love to talk about was. I distinctly remember hearing “Gimme More” and “Womanizer” on the radio on my way home from school ! When I was around 10 I got an i pad and was introduced to the wonderful world of YouTube haha. I went on a Britney rabbit hole and watched every single video and media piece I could find. I was  enamored with this sweet, humble, and gorgeous women who dedicated her life to pursuing her passion. As I’m sure a lot of you can relate you just wanted to be her best friend or little sister!  Ever since then I’ve been a super fan it’s getting pretty close to being a decade of my fascination. I now am the proud owner of a Britney autograph 😁 which is probably the coolest thing I own!!! 

• Love 7