Thomas Girardi-another high profile person has been just placed under permanent CONservatorship!

So when we think that CONservatorships are exposed even by Free Britney movement there is another famous person placed under one!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/tv/tom-girardi-conservatorship-made-official-court-major-neurocognitive-disorder/%3famp=true 

It's crazy how it is going on in the USA! I am from Poland live in the UK and I have never heard that even sick people are stripped from their rights like that! Recently even my grandmother's sister died after having Alzheimer and no one in the family even though to get her under CONservatorship! In Poland we have famous old sick people and nothing happens to them!

But I guess in the USA the land of greed and wild capitalism every opportunity to make a money even from stripping someone of their basic human rights is good! 

Shocking in Europe it wouldn't happen.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, MadameFreedom said:

It does - it's just not under the name of a Conservatorship.

Most counties will have their own laws to protect their most vulnerable citizens, if needed. No doubt there are people who abuse the system similar to Britney's case, but a Conservatorship isn't just an American thing. 

In Scotland, it is called a Guardianship Order. In England and Wales, it is called a Deputyship, I think?

I worked on a couple of Guardianship Orders with my old employer, but it was too draining I had to give it up. This was approx. 10 years ago - I never really linked it to Britney's situation because the cases I had were of people who were struggling with the basics and genuinely needed support. 

• Like 3

This is disgusting I don’t understand why this is so easy to put in place even for people with severe disabilities or mental health issues, in the U.K. there are carers who visit these people at their home or they live in permanent accommodation with round the clock care but still have their independence this is just ****ed up, California is beyond deranged and absolutely bat **** crazy 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, MadameFreedom said:

So when we think that CONservatorships are exposed even by Free Britney movement there is another famous person placed under one!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/tv/tom-girardi-conservatorship-made-official-court-major-neurocognitive-disorder/%3famp=true 

It's crazy how it is going on in the USA! I am from Poland live in the UK and I have never heard that even sick people are stripped from their rights like that! Recently even my grandmother's sister died after having Alzheimer and no one in the family even though to get her under CONservatorship! In Poland we have famous old sick people and nothing happens to them!

But I guess in the USA the land of greed and wild capitalism every opportunity to make a money even from stripping someone of their basic human rights is good! 

I am in europe and we do have something similar, it's called Power of Attorney. 

Conservatorships as a concept are not inherently evil imo, there can be a use for them. The problem now is partly that they are used when there are other less restrictive options possible and then the lack of transparency, accountability and fail safe. There needs to major reforms of cships to ensure conservatees are actually protected and benefit from it, but the concept of cships (or guardianship or whatever else it may be called depending on the jurisdiction) itself can be good. I really don't know enough about Girardi or his situation to have any say on whether he could have been better off with a less restrictive solution than a cship, but it is for sure troublesome for all individuals who are put in cship until there has been major reforms made. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, chizwhiz said:

Power of attorney (in the U.K. at least) is when someone themselves files for someone to take control of their life it’s not enforced and it is actually voluntary and from my understanding it’s nowhere near as abusive and controlling as a conservatorship 

• Love 2
Just now, chizwhiz said:

Yeah I know that in Europe we have something like that as well but I really doubt that it is so abused and overused  like in the US. Plus I think in Europe it doesn't work same like everything is covered by conservatee. And being conservator is not such a great business like in the case of Jodi Montgomery. My gotfather's wife she is a conservator for young troubled teens and she does not earn so much money and does not hold this much power.

2 minutes ago, mangotango said:

Conservatorships as a concept are not inherently evil imo, there can be a use for them. The problem now is partly that they are used when there are other less restrictive options possible and then the lack of transparency, accountability and fail safe. There needs to major reforms of cships to ensure conservators are actually protected and benefit from it, but the concept of cships (or guardianship or whatever else it may be called depending on the jurisdiction) itself can be good. I really don't know enough about Girardi or his situation to have any say on whether he could have been better off with a less restrictive solution than a cship, but it is for sure troublesome for all individuals who are put in cship until there has been major reforms made. 

Conservatorships are disgusting as a whole, the entire concept of manipulating a vulnerable person to control every aspect of their life is inhumane, I have never saw a positive thing about a conservatorship from my own personal research they isolate people from having any form of social interaction (not Britney just), they don’t work hence the outcry for reform they need reevaluated severely and changed. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DJBringItBack said:

Conservatorships are disgusting as a whole, the entire concept of manipulating a vulnerable person to control every aspect of their life is inhumane, I have never saw a positive thing about a conservatorship from my own personal research they isolate people from having any form of social interaction (not Britney just), they don’t work hence the outcry for reform they need reevaluated severely and changed. 

In my opinion the biggest problem is the fact that everything is covered by conservatee. I am wonder how many people would be seeking this kind of solution only while receiving some state funds or nothing at all. This is the biggest conflict of interest. Conservatee's money should be used only for conservatee not all people involved.

My auntie that is guardian for troubled teens she gets state funds as a salary and nothing more.

But CONservatorship are babies of the land of greed so it is not surprising.

32 minutes ago, rennen said:

Most counties will have their own laws to protect their most vulnerable citizens, if needed. No doubt there are people who abuse the system similar to Britney's case, but a Conservatorship isn't just an American thing. 

In Scotland, it is called a Guardianship Order. 

Most countries only have what is similar to the conservatorship of the estate and even then there is limitations, like the person can't incur in debt - loans, mortgage and stuff - and the way they spend their money is limited to basic stuff but they still have access to it. Conservatorship of the person is pretty rare, some countries had it and abolished it because of how the laws were full of discrimination against disability and mental health disorder. So the legislations read something like this "The interdiction will only deprive the subject of -without the guardian- borrowing, acquittance, ..., and other administrative matters related to the estate."

• Like 1

We have medical power of attorney in the US, I have that. 

But I strictly put it to be only used if life support is being used, and there's no way for me to speak for myself. 

Unfortunately I only authorized my grandpa, and he keeps telling me to fix my relationship with my mom.

Honestly me disowning her has been nothing but better for my mental health and emotional well being. 

She's the type of mother that's born to have children but not raise them.

My grandma put an IUD in her and she pulled it out herself, and when she was pregnant with me, she did everything that she was told not to do, being born 3 months early cos she had to ride horses and do trick riding should tell you how bad she wanted me dead, I just arrived 3 months earlier cos of her carelessness, but nothing like being reminded due to being breached, ended up breaking her tail bone during birth, I'm her pain in the arse.

Nope, giving it to my real mom her sister my Aunt Merri, a women she truly despises cos she has the relationship that she wanted with her own son. 

43 minutes ago, rennen said:

THIS! THIS!! THIS!!! :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

You can research any country from any continent which has guardian system, and you'll find that the whole system is rotten. Even the countries with best healthcare and least corruption have several cases of such abuse, but they're often ignored by GP since no one seems to care if people use a guardian system to gain power/money/s*xual advances from their relatives or the person they're supposed to take care of. :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

Only in recent years people have started to wake up and see that there are people who will willfully put another person under guardianship to get something (usually money) from them. :pensiveney_britney_praying_ftr_for_the_record_2008_circus_vmas_thinking:

I still remember a couple gave Ted Nugent, a rock star in his 30s in the 70s, all legal rights to their teenage daughter, just do they could sleep together in a hanky panky way .

I was disgusted, but he acted proud of it, saying hey the parents got money off of the legal adoption so everybody wins .

No one batted an eye, had a woman did this or a gay man, all hell would have broke loose. 

1 hour ago, MadameFreedom said:

But most people don’t have Britney’s financials and power.

This is just about money and business. If she were a regular person, of course she wouldn’t be in a conservatorship.

Legal Guardianships exist in most (if not all) EU countries. They are usually a last resort and function as a safety net for the family of the incapacitated individual and their assets.

Edited by Justin Woodpond
1 hour ago, MadameFreedom said:

It’s called guardianship in Finland and I’m pretty sure this exists in all the countries. There have been cases where the court assigned guardians have in various ways “stolen” money, property etc. from an old and demented person’s estate so that their family is left with nothing when the person has finally died.

The threshold for placing someone in a guardianship is pretty high, though.