This Day in Pop: Spice Girls release debut single 'Wannabe' in 1996 (July 08)

ab67616d0000b273398271be45c4290fe12e3f0a

On July 08, 1996, Wannabe was released in the UK as the debut single by English girl group Spice Girls under Virgin Records. Produced by Matt Rowe and Richard Stannard and co-written by the two of them along with all the members of the group, the dance-pop track was also the lead single off their first studio album Spice, with Bumper to Bumper as its B-side. 

The song became an anthem of female empowerment with lyrics that value the female friendship over a relationship with a man, setting the theme for all of the upcoming music from the group: Girl Power. 

Wannabe topped the charts in 22 countries, including the Billboard Hot 100, and it is the best-selling single by a female group worldwide. Also, according to a study published in 2014 by the University of Amsterdam in association with Manchester’s Museum of Science & Industry, Wannabe is the most recognizable pop song of the last 60 years. 

An iconic one-shot music video directed by Johan Camitz was filmed at the Midland Grand Hotel in London, and it was released in May of that year. It currently has over 500M views on their official YouTube account.

• Love 7

I remember when this first dropped, I broke my wrist jumping off a wall and was in A&E crying. Wannabe came on the radio and I started singing along and my mum tried to drag me out convinced my wrist was fine if I was singing. I was like sorry Patricia but breaking my bones won’t stop my little gay heart from breaking it down for the emergency room. Also jfc I’m old UWL9.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

The Spice Girls did 3 things, and when you think about what they did to inspire Disney channel a decade later is mind blowing..

The success in targeting to Teens and Children was so massive in business especially in forms of Music, Disney would take advantage of this market With High school musical and Hannah Montana and Olivia Rodrigo can thank The Spice girls for teaching Disney on the importance of targeting and marketing a star to an audience. 

Killed Blur and Oasis by the end of 1996, Boys with guitars was dead, and in your face pop with attitude and sass was the biggest seller..

Pioneered the teen pop in the 90s which would really take off in 1998 with Backstreet boys, Britney spears and *NSYNC. 

The Spice girls  being much older by the time the other 3 became superstars, Ranging from 26 to 24, The Spice girls was seen as 30 somethings in a music industry dominated by teens as the choice of pop stars. 

• Love 2
  • Super Mods

What an ICONIC debut! :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

I remember Wannabe so well 

They were my first exposure to pop culture and music.

Even though I was very little when they debuted (3 or 2 and a half to be exact)

They still had an impact for me when it comes to music and celebrities.

Them and Britney will always have a special place in my heart for my first 

celeb obsessions!

And also btw The Spice Girls >>>>>>>> EVERY single girl group after them!

Just saying :endit_sunglasses_fab_yas_queen:

• Love 2
  • Super Mods
9 hours ago, Danielle1987 said:

I really miss when pop music was very R&B-influenced. 
Spice Girl’s first album is a perfect example of what I mean. The album caught that moment in time perfectly. 

Was anyone else a regular on spiceshack.org chat room?!! First website I started visiting regularly in 1997. 

Wow was that chat room a real thing??

I guess it shows that I was very young during their prime.

I wish I was old enough to have experienced it though

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Danielle1987 said:

I really miss when pop music was very R&B-influenced. 
Spice Girl’s first album is a perfect example of what I mean. The album caught that moment in time perfectly. 

Was anyone else a regular on spiceshack.org chat room?!! First website I started visiting regularly in 1997. 

NNNNNN Wannabe doesn't feel Rn'B one bit! It is very dance-pop :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

They're the first ones I started listening to in my childhood. I was about 10/11 back when they burst onto the scene. Then came BsB and Britney, my other two favourites artists back then. 

Will always love them even if I recognise now the music is cheesy pop but it's so catchy. Best pop group ever. 

I worn down the cassette with the album  haha. I didn't even speak English yet back then. 

Time has flown by. Seems like yesterday that I was a kid still. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block