Was Britney's original contact for 4 or 6 albums?

The Ronan Farrow article suggested that Britney's original contract obligated her to release 6 studio albums, is that accurate? Or was it 4 studio albums?

Even if she had a 6 album obligation, couldn't she have amended her contract by 2004 or 2005 to give her more artistic freedom (and possibly not having to live in LA?) given all her past success?

Sorry, but the vast amount of  unreleased material out there is more enough to not call Blackout her 'artistic' peak, no matter how good 'Blackout' is.  In fact, a self-composed single on In The Zone is enough not to call Blackout her 'artistic' peak.  (Don't forget that "co-writer" to that single has 0 solo writing credits and no evidence of her writing own melody or riff on a musical instrument, unlike Britney)

All that unreleased material suggests that Britney was blatantly looking to become a completely different artist not only in terms of songwriting, but in terms of her voice, which Blackout sure as hell does not achieve when comparing it to all her unreleased material from the 2000s.

Britney's resiliency is admirable, but it is almost an impossible task to keep fighting the media; the shameful media has done what they've done well before Britney (Princess Diana, Michael Jackson and others)

There needed to be a change in her artistic freedom way back in 2004-2005; she was still shooting multiple music videos back when she said she was focused on a family. 

Even if she had a 6 album deal, she should have been able revise her contract for far more autonomy, as her lack if autonomy directly contributed to 2007-2008.  (While she was technically 'free' in 2007-2008, those years were still her worst years of her life till that point and previous artistic autonomy could have prevented those years from happening.)

• Love 2

She could have tried to change her contract and not been successful. Contracts are hard to break and “I want more creative freedom” isn’t a valid reason to get out of a contract. Jive wasn’t going to change the success they had with her. 

And she never had to live in LA. Ever. She could have lived anywhere, I believe KFed and then her children would be why she stayed in California. 

• Love 3
  • Like 2

I think I posted this in a thread a few months ago but I assumed her original contract was five albums and was ended with Greatest Hits: My Prerogative. Back in 2004/2005 there was rumours of Britney wanting to leave Jive but this never happened.

Then I assume she ended up signing another five album deal with them which was transferred to RCA when Jive shut down. Britney Jean was the last album on this contract, then she renewed her contract with RCA (presumably for four more albums) and has only released one so far (Glory). 

I might be wrong though ddd.

Edited by Isla
  • Like 2

Well, I don't think there are any sources for this, plus IMO she lived in L.A because of her kids no contract with the label binds you to live at a particular place, big labels have studio all across so that doesn't make sense. 

Also, Britney has not at all reached any artistic peak - she's been under her peak from 13 years. If we go back and listen to 'Britney' 'In the Zone' and 'Blackout' it's simple Britney has been very successful to create a vibe with every one of these. 

The major problem with her is, she never got the chance to capitalise on her true talents neither her team did that, if we see Beyonce for example - she had a slow growth but now she's hugely successful even though she doesn't write her own songs, but her PR team has done a great job in making her the artistic goddess kinda persona. 

With Britney it has never been the case - she has always been seen as a teen pop girl who dances and this is the problem. 

If britney ever decides to come back, she will have her freedom otherwise she won't be coming back in the first place. Whenever britney is free and decides to make music, it will be very interesting to listen to her music - she's very artistic but she needs a smart team to show this to GP. 

A 6 album contract? from ... BOMT to CIRCUS? I don't think so !!! Femme Fatale and Britney Jean was a new contract for two more albums? I don't think so either

His contract with Jive was signed for 8 albums Britney was in the 2011 Rca catalog, but the contract obliging 8 albums with so BritneyJean was done.

but there is one thing that I can not understand is that Ep, Compilations, Dvd etc ... are part of the contract or it is under another contract? I don't know so 

In 2014, Britney resigned for 4 additional albums so Glory is the first of the new contract.

But this subject had already been mentioned under the name "Britney Contracts With Rca" ...

29 minutes ago, Cayden said:

A 6 album contract? from ... BOMT to CIRCUS? I don't think so !!! Femme Fatale and Britney Jean was a new contract for two more albums? I don't think so either

His contract with Jive was signed for 8 albums Britney was in the 2011 Rca catalog, but the contract obliging 8 albums with so BritneyJean was done.

but there is one thing that I can not understand is that Ep, Compilations, Dvd etc ... are part of the contract or it is under another contract? I don't know so 

In 2014, Britney resigned for 4 additional albums so Glory is the first of the new contract.

But this subject had already been mentioned under the name "Britney Contracts With Rca" ...

‘His contract’?

I’m not sure about greatest hits albums, I assume they do, they’ve counted towards other artist’s label contracts before.