US Senators Elizabeth Warren, Bob Casey Ask For Data on Conservatorships After Britney Spears Testimony

• Super Mods
2 minutes ago, Salsa555 said:

I have some more follow ups as I'm also not American and it is more fun to ask here than to Google :wink_britney_everytime_white:

Does the Attorney General head the Supreme Court?

What's the difference between what the Attorney General does and that Jerrold Nadler guy (House Judiciary Chairman), the one Matt Gaetz was asking to host a  hearing on conservatorships & Britney to speak?

Alll so confusing but I want to learnnnn

Kid Absorbing GIF by Bottle PR

The Attorney General is the top lawyer/cop for the federal government. He is the head of the Department of Justice. Essentially he (Merrick Garland) is in charge of enforcing the laws that Congress passes, or the Supreme Court amends. The Supreme Court is its own branch of government, so the Attorney General does not head the Supreme Court.

Both Gerald Nadler and Matt Gaetz are members of the House of Representatives, which is one of the two legislative bodies of Congress (the other is the Senate).

Within the House of Representatives are various committees where House Representatives craft legislation, hold hearings, oversight, etc. Nadler is the Chair of the House Judiciary Committee, which is responsible for “protecting Constitutional freedoms and civil liberties, oversight of the U.S. Departments of Justice and Homeland Security, legal and regulatory reform, innovation, competition and anti-trust laws, terrorism and crime, and immigration reform. The Committee has jurisdiction over all proposed amendments to the Constitution, and each of its subcommittees has roots in that document.”

Matt Gaetz is a member of the House of Representatives and has various committee assignments. He is a Republican member of the House Judiciary Committee, which Nadler chairs/is in charge of.

Hopefully this helps!

3ed44c3249499aefed4d365fbed0226f.gif

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, PinkyAndStinky said:

1.3 million Americans are conserved, with conservators controlling roughly $50 billion in assets. That is CRAZY. And there's hardly any data or oversight. This is the perfect system for corruption and exploitation. 

So many? :gloriascary_scared_shocked_shook_wow_surprised: Freedom to all of them! 

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, Martian_M00d said:

Attorney General heads the Department of Justice, which includes agencies like the FBI, among others. Attorney General is a top tierhead honcho position, while Jerrold Nadler is a regular state rep in the House of Representatives (which is one half of the legislative branch i mentioned above) House reps are voted into these groups called subcommittees, where they conduct hearings for their specific subcommittee.  House Judiciary is one of those groups 

Senator Martian_M00d breaking it down for us! :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

• Love 2

Britney inspiring senators to look into how ALL conservatorships are put into place and maintained not just her own is an amazingly huge deal. Getting the laws in regards to how these are set up and maintained changed would be monumental to Britney's legacy. She would be studied in law school classes across the United States.  Also, so glad to hear that this is becoming a bipartisan issue. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1