Have you watched 'This is Pop' on Netflix?

So I was browsing Netflix and I bumped into this docu-series called 'This is Pop'. So far, I've only watched the third episode: Stockholm Syndrome. I found very interesting all the insights given on how Sweden has been so influential in pop music. 

Of course, Britney is mentioned. The Cheiron team says this about her: "...when we got to work with her we realized how professional she was and how hard she worked. I mean, she stood in that little singing room for, I mean, day in day out. And she just delivered, delivered, delivered..."

I wish they had gone a little deeper about how ...Baby One More Time was done (mainly because Max Martin is brought up, obviously), but I just think it's so nice to hear respectable names in the industry talk about her that way. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

And well, the narrator lets a 'It's Britney, *****' slip in :ehidk_britney_um_eek:

Check it out, I'll go and finish the rest of the episodes. 

• Like 2

The whole thing was about the sound, the fact it really amazes me it started with Ace of Base, and it took off from there..

But you can tell and respect them, as they practice a certain law (for swedish moral) not to brag about your success and be equal to those that aren't successful at all. 

They gave ABBA way to much time 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

But you can tell and respect them, as they practice a certain law (for swedish moral) not to brag about your success and be equal to those that aren't successful at all. 

Yeah, that was new for me. I also really liked how they said that the country itself contributes to the slightly somber element in the melodies.

The auto tune episode is actually really sad, they really dive into the aftermath of what happened with T-Pain, and how it was really unfair that the artist who embraced it, really got treated like ****, I wouldn't say he was suicidal, but kudos to his wife for saying, that's just your style and who you are as an artist, **** them..

The boys II men episode is also an eye opener for five years the biggest boy band in the US, only to be replaced by white cookie cutter boy bands that molded after them 98°, *NSYNC and Backstreet boys, everybody says the way they were replaced quickly just shows you how different the industry was, to go from having record breaking #1 singles, a diamond album, to nothing shows how the culture in the 90s was to black and urban artists.

If it wasn't for Boyz  II Men, none of them would have happened at all. 

2 minutes ago, Isla said:

I would like to watch this, it sounds interesting and I like how each episode focuses on a different aspect of music. I know there’s meant to be a Britpop episode too. 

There is its pretty much Blur vs. Oasis though, they don't even touch how a certain girl group actually ended their dominance fast. 

6 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

There is its pretty much Blur vs. Oasis though, they don't even touch how a certain girl group actually ended their dominance fast. 

You mean Spice Girls ddd. A whole episode on the teen pop explosion of the late 90s would have been fun to see.

2 minutes ago, Isla said:

You mean Spice Girls ddd. A whole episode on the teen pop explosion of the late 90s would have been fun to see.

There's not one episode of teen pop. 

It's pretty much serious, low key. More about the artistry and the impact. 

Ask  @Adriannn they even basically say again, nobody at cheroin thought Britney would become this pop icon she is, that just shows you. The industry never believed in her at all. Her success shocked them. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Ask  @Adriannn they even basically say again, nobody at cheroin thought Britney would become this pop icon she is, that just shows you. The industry never believed in her at all. Her success shocked them. 

They knew for sure it was a Top 40 hit, so they were thrilled when it became a lot more than that.

3 minutes ago, Adriannn said:

Yeah I got that feel too, but then I think they took it back as they deemed her professional. 

If you think about it, the song was shipped to TLC, glad they didn't take it, cos Lisa demanding hit me baby one more time..

After what she went thru with her ex, that would have cancelled TLC fast for endorsing a misunderstood lyric..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Yeah I kinda get the idea some industry execs didn't believe in Britney.... I read multiple labels turned her down but Jive did see something in her.

13 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

it started with Ace of Base, and it took off from there..

They are amazing :letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn: I discovered pop from them. Then it was the Spice Girls. Then BRITNEY! <3
(I guess they were preparing me for such an impact haha)

PS: wtf about the ABBA comment?? They are the essence of pop.

20 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

They are amazing :letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn: I discovered pop from them. Then it was the Spice Girls. Then BRITNEY! <3
(I guess they were preparing me for such an impact haha)

PS: wtf about the ABBA comment?? They are the essence of pop.

I'm an American, and they really didn't have a lot of success here, by the time they got big, the very homophobic Disco sucks, movement happened and they went down with it. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block