Stephen Colbert supports Britney Spears and #FreeBritney on-air (VIDEO)

On 6/25/2021 at 3:04 AM, CoasterFreak18 said:

Imagine how insecure you have to be to bravely insult a comedian with an anonymous profile on an online forum, with an audience of people who will not rebuke you.  The courage you must have!

So a person must be insecure if they dislike a late night talk show segment? Nothing about this comment was directed toward you, and yet you seem to be taking this really personally. I doubt the OP felt they were being courageous in their comment. 

Your exaggerated response is odd, to put it politely…

37 minutes ago, FlexAroundTheWorld said:

Here we go with the sensitive generation... Please stop finding issues that aren't relevant. 

This is not a news show. It's a comedy late night talk-show. It's gossip based. The fact that they brought her transcript into it and managed to make a light-hearted sketch out of it and still give people the FACTS and BRITNEY'S WORDS is amazing, and whoever wrote the bit at the end with all the singles deserves an Emmy. That was brilliant and poignant. For that sort of genre of television, that was really well done. 

I hear where you’re coming from in terms of generational sensitivity and 100% agree that this is a beyond frustrating problem in 2021… but I get where some fans are coming from in not fully appreciating Colbert’s “advocacy.” I don’t have a problem with generating buzz with a little comedic relief, but it felt to me like the segment was making a mockery of Britney, particularly in how they compared her to a waving cat trinket. Who was that joke meant to serve? It sure wasn’t Britney. 

I think Andy Cohen did a fine job at relaying the facts and seriousness of what Britney said in her testimony, but with better jokes that didn’t deflate her as someone to be taken seriously.

1 hour ago, radar22 said:

I think Andy Cohen did a fine job at relaying the facts and seriousness of what Britney said in her testimony, but with better jokes that didn’t deflate her as someone to be taken seriously.

Andy Cohen is not a late night talk show host, he's the owner and host of his own network. PRIMETIME talk slots have a format, these are formulas that have been used for decades... The opening monologue is going to have jokes. There was literally nothing they could or should have done differently and they were 100% of Britney. You're upset about a cat picture when they literally spent so much time creatively coming up with a way to work ALL HER SONGS INTO AN ENDING THAT WAS SUPPORTIVE OF HER?

The picture of the cat is just in reference to how she's being milked out of both sides and that this whole thing is about money.

Please elaborate exactly how she was "deflated" and not to be taken seriously by this opening sketch? It's completely supportive of her. You are truly reaching.