Shakira shares fanmade homage video in celebration of the 30 years of her very first album 'Magia'

Magia-Shakira.jpg

On June 24, 1991, Shakira released her first album Magia when she was only 14 years old. Produced by Miguel E. Cubillos and Pablo Tedeschi, it was considered a commercial failure after it only managed to sell a couple thousands of copies in her home country Colombia. A similar fate suffered its successor Peligro, released in 1993.

EbT0jNnXgAIC80p.jpg

It's because of this, that later on in her career, Shakira opposed to the re-release of these two albums, because she sees them as immature, always considering her third album Pies Descalzos (1995), as her actual first record, since it was the first one to achieve international success. However, die-hard fans treasure these two first efforts by the Colombian singer, and especially Magia, since it was the one that started it all.

EpxlYFCWwAUUcc4.jpg

Today, Shakira shared on social media a special homage video that her official Barranquilla fan club put together, featuring all of the studio and live albums she's released over the years, as well as her humanitarian labor she's done through her foundation Pies Descalzos and other institutions.

After the years and so many success, she may look back at her first two albums differently and not with shame as she once did in the past. Nevertheless, the albums still remain absent from digital platforms, but some unofficial uploads allow us to enjoy them 3 decades later.

This year Shakira has been teasing to be back in the studio to record new music. This week she covered the Mexican edition of Vogue magazine and revealed the new single might be dropping this July, with a full new album expected for 2022.

Related:

Marking 30 years of career is of course a cause for celebration and I'm happy for her, but at the same time I'm also pretty sad. I would have NEVER anticipated the dramatic decrease in the quality of her output. Never ever, ever. Between 1995-2012ish she went full force, all of those 6 albums are so good and special (by that I mean they have the Shakira factor, if that makes any sense) then bam SHAKIRA. happened and everything's been going downhill ever since. Then El dorado (which I admit I like better than its predecessor, but it feels like a greatest hits instead of a cohesive body of work) came about and yeah, I hope she's ashamed of them. They are listenable, but they both strain her discography as a whole. Me gusta? Girl like Me? Are you for real??? She's better off on a hiatus, if any of those two songs are samples of an eventual future album. Honestly. Why mercilessly ruin your discography if you don't feel creative anymore? That being said, I choose to be optimistic and hope that she'll get back on track, that she'll outdo herself with a new album. She HAS to. :ohwut_gaga_sunglasses_shocked_surprised_what_huh:

Anyway, let me not be a Debbie Downer on the THIRTIETH :shocked_what_xfactor_britney_pink_surprised_wow::shocked_what_xfactor_britney_pink_surprised_wow::shocked_what_xfactor_britney_pink_surprised_wow: anniversary of her musical career (now I realise it's older than me omg :orangu_orangutan_ape:) so here are some of my favourite Shaki songs of all the time:

Spoiler

:blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

as a fun fact 

Spoiler

my favoruite Shakira song is / used to be this one but then I discovered a cover of it and I like its arrangements a lot more so I somehow ended up only using this version :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing: don't judge me I still have the original but I listen to it veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery rarely :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

and yes, I intentionally did not mention the song's title :evilpatrick_spongebob_mad_meme: this version is SO GOOD I think every Shakira fan should give it a listen :imacat_cat_hiss_meme_white_kitty_mad::imacat_cat_hiss_meme_white_kitty_mad::imacat_cat_hiss_meme_white_kitty_mad:

13 minutes ago, corpsetranger said:

Marking 30 years of career is of course a cause for celebration and I'm happy for her, but at the same time I'm also pretty sad. I would have NEVER anticipated the dramatic decrease in the quality of her output. Never ever, ever. Between 1995-2012ish she went full force, all of those 6 albums are so good and special (by that I mean they have the Shakira factor, if that makes any sense) then bam SHAKIRA. happened and everything's been going downhill ever since. Then El dorado (which I admit I like better than its predecessor, but it feels like a greatest hits instead of a cohesive body of work) came about and yeah, I hope she's ashamed of them. They are listenable, but they both strain her discography as a whole. Me gusta? Girl like Me? Are you for real??? She's better off on a hiatus, if any of those two songs are samples of an eventual future album. Honestly. Why mercilessly ruin your discography if you don't feel creative anymore? That being said, I choose to be optimistic and hope that she'll get back on track, that she'll outdo herself with a new album. She HAS to. :ohwut_gaga_sunglasses_shocked_surprised_what_huh:

In her recent interview she mentioned always trying to do something different, and that she doesn't look back at what she's done to try to replicate it ( :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing: ) so I guess that's how she's ended up doing what she ended up doing.

However, I hope she stays true to those words and leaves behind those urban songs/collaborations and moves into something different again. According to her, she just recorded THAT SONG she had been waiting for, which is the one supposed to come out in July, so we'll have to wait and see. Apparently she's been working with one of the producers that worked on Glory and some people said he also worked with Dua Lipa? so I hope it leans more towards the pop side. 

• Haha 1

Shakira has been always a singer i liked. I only knew her because of her hits when i was a child then decided to hear the full albums and found a lot as usual underrated songs, as well as not very known singles. She is just an amazing singer and it's great to see how she started and how she is now.

I haven't heard Magia or Peligro in a while aside of certain tracks (the title tracks are so good) so let me just re-hear both albums.

2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

In her recent interview she mentioned always trying to do something different, and that she doesn't look back at what she's done to try to replicate it ( :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing: ) so I guess that's how she's ended up doing what she ended up doing.

However, I hope she stays true to those words and leaves behind those urban songs/collaborations and moves into something different again. According to her, she just recorded THAT SONG she had been waiting for, which is the one supposed to come out in July, so we'll have to wait and see. Apparently she's been working with one of the producers that worked on Glory and some people said he also worked with Dua Lipa? so I hope it leans more towards the pop side. 

Oh that lowkey gives me hope tbh :fran_frog_meme_green: I honestly thought she got piquématized and stopped caring altogether as in, you know, let me drop this grab my cash relax repeat :bieber_justin_smirk_weird::bieber_justin_smirk_weird::bieber_justin_smirk_weird:

NO MORE COLLABS I DON'T WANT NO MORE COLLABS!!! :xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused: I only want Shakira, no urban, in Spanish, full-length songs (no 2:smth min TikTok bait) :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad: I don't think I'm asking for too much :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad::crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad::crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, corpsetranger said:

Oh that lowkey gives me hope tbh :fran_frog_meme_green: I honestly thought she got piquématized and stopped caring altogether as in, you know, let me drop this grab my cash relax repeat :bieber_justin_smirk_weird::bieber_justin_smirk_weird::bieber_justin_smirk_weird:

NO MORE COLLABS I DON'T WANT NO MORE COLLABS!!! :xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused: I only want Shakira, no urban, in Spanish, full-length songs (no 2:smth min TikTok bait) :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad: I don't think I'm asking for too much :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad::crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad::crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

I think what happens to most songwriters, is that sadly, typically the best songs come from the worst moments in their life, heartbrake, frustration, depression, etc. but since she found the love of her life, she became a mom, etc, it's like, there's no inspiration to create those powerful songs she used to do.  Of course she could, but what I mean, that's typically what we see with most songwriters.

That's why it's better to also be able to sing songs written by other people, like Britney does. Instead of always having to do these autobiographical tracks, singers should also be able to interpret a character, an hypothetical situation, give a voice to a story told by someone else. 

12 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think what happens to most songwriters, is that sadly, typically the best songs come from the worst moments in their life, heartbrake, frustration, depression, etc. but since she found the love of her life, she became a mom, etc, it's like, there's no inspiration to create those powerful songs she used to do.  Of course she could, but what I mean, that's typically what we see with most songwriters.

That's why it's better to also be able to sing songs written by other people, like Britney does. Instead of always having to do these autobiographical tracks, singers should also be able to interpret a character, an hypothetical situation, give a voice to a story told by someone else. 

What you wrote in the second paragraph is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the first one :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus: I wholeheartedly agree! I'd love it if more singer-songwriters would go the Kate Bush route tbh. Just picture something and go from there it can be anything, really :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup::demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup::demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup:  

But you know what I find extremely strange about Shakira in particular? It's as clear as day she found in Gerald what she was looking for, she found the love of her life, as you've put it. It's been more than a decade and they seem happier than ever. How come such a big love (that is not guaranteed for everyone) inspired her to write songs like Me enamoré??? SHAKIRA. is the first album she released after she met Gerald (aka that one album I was willing to bet mad money it'd be a celebration of love) and it is lackluster, bland, basic. It almost feels soulless at times. It just makes no sense. She wrote much more beautiful songs about Antonio. I get it I get it, that was a more difficult relationship, it came with a lot of heartbreak... but what about happiness? Isn't happiness a powerful stimulator as well? In theory, a person as talented as Shakira meets the love of their life and then writes an ode to love. The type of love song that makes you feel their love and passion. The type of love song that makes you want to be in love. But no no no, not Shakira, she goes on and releases Can't Remember to Forget You :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what::calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what::calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what: How??? Where are the timeless love songs??? Where? I don't get it, I just don't get it :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney: but then again I'm not a songwriter so maybe I should mind my own business :fran_frog_meme_green:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, corpsetranger said:

What you wrote in the second paragraph is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the first one :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus: I wholeheartedly agree! I'd love it if more singer-songwriters would go the Kate Bush route tbh. Just picture something and go from there it can be anything, really :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup::demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup::demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup:  

But you know what I find extremely strange about Shakira in particular? It's as clear as day she found in Gerald what she was looking for, she found the love of her life, as you've put it. It's been more than a decade and they seem happier than ever. How come such a big love (that is not guaranteed for everyone) inspired her to write songs like Me enamoré??? SHAKIRA. is the first album she released after she met Gerald (aka that one album I was willing to bet mad money it'd be a celebration of love) and it is lackluster, bland, basic. It almost feels soulless at times. It just makes no sense. She wrote much more beautiful songs about Antonio. I get it I get it, that was a more difficult relationship, it came with a lot of heartbreak... but what about happiness? Isn't happiness a powerful stimulator as well? In theory, a person as talented as Shakira meets the love of their life and then writes an ode to love. The type of love song that makes you feel their love and passion. The type of love song that makes you want to be in love. But no no no, not Shakira, she goes on and releases Can't Remember to Forget You :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what::calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what::calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what: How??? Where are the timeless love songs??? Where? I don't get it, I just don't get it :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney: but then again I'm not a songwriter so maybe I should mind my own business :fran_frog_meme_green:

Yeah I mean, I think the same :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: but who knows, maybe it goes also with the fact that she wanted to go the urban, fun route with songs like Me Enamoré, etc. 

Tbh, there are other songs like Nada, which the public let flop when she released it as a single, and other tracks like When a Woman, Amarillo, etc. so it must be difficult for her to completely ditch the commercial stuff and just be raw and emotional with a song like Antología. Maybe if it was pushed with something big like a movie or a Netflix series or something, a ballad like that could be successful these days. 

btw, according to Mexican singer Tatiana, when Shakira first started releasing records, her label wanted her to be the "Colombian Tatiana" and her image was very similar to hers.

Tatiana claims she met Shakira in 1995 when she released Pies Descalzos in Mexico, and told her this story. They later met again in 2006 and she still remembered her, and later during a concert of Shakira that Tatiana attended, Shakira presented her during the show.

• Haha 1
On 6/26/2021 at 1:28 AM, PokemonSpears said:

Yeah I mean, I think the same :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: but who knows, maybe it goes also with the fact that she wanted to go the urban, fun route with songs like Me Enamoré, etc. 

Tbh, there are other songs like Nada, which the public let flop when she released it as a single, and other tracks like When a Woman, Amarillo, etc. so it must be difficult for her to completely ditch the commercial stuff and just be raw and emotional with a song like Antología. Maybe if it was pushed with something big like a movie or a Netflix series or something, a ballad like that could be successful these days. 

Deep deep down, I honestly think she wasn't in the mood for creating music which I don't blame for, let me not be missunderstood. The relationship was still fairly young and then the babies and stuff :fran_frog_meme_green: That's the clue I got from those stories of her not wanting to leave Barcelona :orangu_orangutan_ape::orangu_orangutan_ape::orangu_orangutan_ape: But she also didn't want to go away ('cause a comeback is not always guaranteed) so she went with what was popular at the time. If you think about it that way, a duet with Rihanna in 2014 does make a lot of sense :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree: 

Well you know what? it flopped because you flops let it flop :truthtea_sips_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_red_mug_spill: my people did their job and it charted here so hmm yeah can't relate we're still honorable Shaki fans :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud::shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud::shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: I'm just kidding Nada was bound to be a flop (sadly :crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:) and I was not surprised one bit when it did flop :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney: Trap massive floppage, on the other hand, caught me by surprise, it deserved Chantaje level of success in my unhumble opinion :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree::tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree::tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

I'm not expecting for her to completely ditch the commercial stuff but maybe she should lean towards different commercial sounds (other than reggaeton :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:) because she desperately needs to flip the script otherwise she risks alientanting her fanbase imo :fran_frog_meme_green:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block