BreatheHeavy in CNN's new 'Free Britney' article: "Today, those two words describe arguably the defining pop culture crusade of the internet era."

• Leader

I had the honor of speaking with CNN for their new Free Britney article.

Little did I know 13 years ago when writing the term 'Free Britney' - that it would spark advocacy for one of the most prolific and iconic artists of all time. 😢 

Here are a few excerpts from CNN's new story. I encourage you to read the full thing.

They mention me/BreatheHeavy being the founder of Free Britney. While it is true it started here, I recognize this entire movement is a team effort amongst hundreds of thousands of fans and advocates (like FreeBritneyLA). I'm grateful to be a part of it. 

Let me know what you guys think 🙏 

"It was just a way of trying to convey the situation," said Jordan Miller, the owner of the fansite and the man who coined the expression "Free Britney" in a series of breathless posts to his readers in late 2008. "I was 19, 20 years old ... all of this came flying out of me."

Today, those two words describe arguably the defining pop culture crusade of the internet era. The #FreeBritney movement, which claims the star is being kept against her will in a legal stranglehold that denies her even the most basic personal freedoms, has outposts around the world and has drawn intense media scrutiny onto the singer's case in recent years.

'Am I actually helping her?'

The Free Britney movement has morphed from a disparate ensemble of fans online to something that resembles a traditional activist organization -- aided in large part by its associations with groups that campaign on the issue of conservatorships more generally.

But critics have also drawn attention to darker elements within the movement. Lou Taylor, Spears' former business manager and a frequent target of Free Britney campaigners, stepped down from her role last year after receiving death threats and becoming the subject of false accusations, her lawyer told CNN.

And even as their campaign picks up strength and support, there's a question nagging at some members: Is this what Britney wants?

"I understand the paradox that I'm in -- I want Britney to have more privacy, and yet here I am contributing to this movement," says Miller, whose fansite Breathe Heavy is often credited with lighting the fuse of the movement back in 2009.

Miller says he has felt "vindication" in recent months, following Spears' moves, through her attorney, to adjust elements of the conservatorship. But he's spent "10-plus years doubting myself and wondering: am I doing more harm than good? Am I actually helping her?"

After all, there is no precedent in pop culture for Spears' situation or her fanbase's campaign.
"(Spears) was very famous before you could jump on Instagram and see your favorite artist every single day," notes Miller, who says his Britney-centric fansite now rakes in hundreds of thousands of viewers each month. "She's always had this kind of mystery around her."

Miller is urging calm after Wednesday's court date, particularly if Spears' remarks differ from their own hopes. "If she's going to make a decision, who are we to say: 'You can't say that'?" he said. "I think the movement should support what Britney wants."

Related:

bcnnn.jpg.638231fef6039fdad6154918689220dc.jpg

• Like 1

Jordan, I’m behind thankful to you for keeping this site running and for standing your ground. Your convictions are still strong. You were just a young kid when all of this mess started. You’ve matured into a strong, beautiful young man whose advocacy, though once a faint whisper in a crowd has evolved into a mighty roar heard across the globe. At one point in time you were literally the only one, all Britney had, that wasn’t in denial about her situation and you used your platform that is this forum to get the message out. Whether Britney knows it or not I would like to think that she’d also feel so thankful that you spoke up and are still fighting along with her. This ish can’t be easy. Thanks for all you’ve done, Jordan. :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing: #FreeBritney

• Like 1
  • Leader
6 hours ago, Dirk said:

cool Jordan, you're awesome, you're kinda of a balanced version of this mess compared to other free britney accounts... bc you're not really a force outspoken advocate on this case like many other is, sometimes they're too obsessive with the case (and maybe don't reflect much if they're losing it like hello you need to calm down you´re being too loud -- and that include fans) and also benefiting from this for their own ego (hi to the people on tiktok! they're included on this group)... but your role in all of this is more to stop all the craziness that this became and think about and reflect more, to question if all this energy is really not hurting Britney somehow (not that she's not appreciating us, the movement, but bc it became too much)... and I know you're probably adopted that approach bc of some spectrum of fear? bc this place brings a lot of attention to you, you're the leader, exhale is known and important (I understand your position)... so you're doing awesome with this whole thing, a balanced version of it all, it's awesome that u your balanced view for this case (at least that's how you're presenting it to us lol)

Really appreciate that perspective. I do try to remain as balanced as I can, but obviously I am team Free Britney. I do have an advantage regarding the situation in terms of time. I’ve had a lot of time to digest and reflect on all of this and it’s giving me a unique perspective. 🙏