Lorde: I'm not releasing 'Solar Power' CDs to help save the environment

• Leader

Lorde announced her new album, Solar Power, won't be available as a CD to help cut down on resources.

Thing is, she's still selling it on vinyl and has water bottles and a bunch of other merch for sale on her website :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

I think it's smart regardless, cause CDs are like relics at this point. How does one even play a CD in 2021? :billie_eilish_green_chuckle_cackle_lol_lmao_haha_hehe_laugh:

Thoughts, Exhale?

Related:

cd.jpg.8e511a04c21f33f938655cda60aada43.jpg

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I think it's smart regardless, cause CDs are like relics at this point. How does one even play a CD in 2021? :billie_eilish_green_chuckle_cackle_lol_lmao_haha_hehe_laugh:

Related:

Not you making me feel ancient when we’re the same age. 💀

I guess I’ll be the advocate for CD here.

They sound really good and are more reliable than digital 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m sure you have driven from Vegas to LA, right Jordan- so you know that in Death Valley there is like, no signal. Unless you have music saved to your device, you won’t be able to stream. 

Most people have a laptop or computer- while a lot of newer versions don’t have a disc drive, you can literally buy an external one from Amazon for like 10$

There are some songs/ albums that are not available due to issues with record labels or international restrictions… etc. - I’ll just name a couple- The Aaliyah Discography (with the exception of Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number), also the Girlicious album Rebuilt is not available in the states. There’s a lot more, but this isn’t the thread for that 😉 I will say though, that you can rip the cd to your laptop and then have it digitally 🤷🏼‍♀️

Let me also remind everybody that most people aren’t driving brand new cars, and a lot of people I know still have a CD player in their car. You can also get a cheap discman and an aux cord 🤷🏼‍♀️

I see her money moves though. I’m not buying that she’s doing it because it’s better for the environment tho, not when you pointed out that she has vinyls for sale. You want a relic? Not even old cars play vinyl 😂.

she could have had a limited run made. But… I really don’t care much for Lorde’s music… I’m just team CD 😂

• Haha 1
  • Like 4

So I found this article about the environmental impact of various music formats.

And they say vinyl would most likely be the best option from the physical formats, mostly because of the cardboard case.  (so she may have a point after all :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay: )

However, surprisingly, it turns out streaming music online consumes more energy (thus impacting the environment in a different, bigger way) and could be even worse than buying physical albums.

So, which is the greener option? It depends on many things, including how many times you listen to your music. If you only listen to a track a couple of times, then streaming is the best option. If you listen repeatedly, a physical copy is best – streaming an album over the internet more than 27 times will likely use more energy than it takes to produce and manufacture a CD.

If you want to reduce your impact on the environment, then vintage vinyl could be a great physical option. For online music, local storage on phones, computers or local network drives keeps the data closer to the user and will reduce the need for streaming over distance from remote severs across a power-hungry network.

Basically it's better to buy a CD and play it a lot, or download the digital files and play them from your device rather than from an online server, because of the energy costs of keeping the servers cool. 

12 minutes ago, Malibu.D.Luxx said:

Not you making me feel ancient when we’re the same age. 💀

I guess I’ll be the advocate for CD here.

They sound really good and are more reliable than digital 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m sure you have driven from Vegas to LA, right Jordan- so you know that in Death Valley there is like, no signal. Unless you have music saved to your device, you won’t be able to stream. 

Most people have a laptop or computer- while a lot of newer versions don’t have a disc drive, you can literally buy an external one from Amazon for like 10$

There are some songs/ albums that are not available due to issues with record labels or international restrictions… etc. - I’ll just name a couple- The Aaliyah Discography (with the exception of Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number), also the Girlicious album Rebuilt is not available in the states. There’s a lot more, but this isn’t the thread for that 😉 I will say though, that you can rip the cd to your laptop and then have it digitally 🤷🏼‍♀️

Let me also remind everybody that most people aren’t driving brand new cars, and a lot of people I know still have a CD player in their car. You can also get a cheap discman and an aux cord 🤷🏼‍♀️

I see her money moves though. I’m not buying that she’s doing it because it’s better for the environment tho, not when you pointed out that she has vinyls for sale. You want a relic? Not even old cars play vinyl 😂.

she could have had a limited run made. But… I really don’t care much for Lorde’s music… I’m just team CD 😂

I just wanted to say you have exceptional taste for the "Rebuilt" love😭

I always buy my favorite albums on CD to this day. It was always so exciting (and still is) as a kid to get a new CD and flipping through the booklet while listening to it for the first time.

It's sad to me that the digital booklets and CDs are likely on their way out, unless they revitalize like vinyls are doing. The album artwork design (booklet, cover, back, CD design) are all ways of expanding upon the unique world and aesthetic that each album and era creates.

• Like 3

But she's releasing a cardboard box that comes with a photobooklet? Not to mention the vinyls, and the many t-shirts and water bottles she's also selling...

This makes no sense :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: if she really wanted to be environmentally friendly there would be NO available formats other than a digital version.

Edited by Isla
  • Like 1

I appreciate all the love for CDs that I've read so far! It's still my favorite music format: it's high quality, you get the graphic design for a whole era, and it works both for listening to the music as well as a physical object to collect. It's the whole experience. Also, it's definitely a hundred times more practical than a vinyl, come on... And cassettes have always been a mess, and they don't even last. To consume music exclusively by streaming? I feel for you, you poor unfortunate souls...

Having said that, I hate this new generation of young people acting cool and woke but being so superficial about anything they talk about. CDs may be more demanding on the environment because you have to actually produce a physical object, but making vinyls definitely demands more resources, especially WATER! And like someone mentioned, streaming is more energy-consuming than actually playing a CD/vinyl. So there you go, we solved that in 10 minutes, yet here she is in her hippie phase talking about being socially conscious and environmentally friendly but being a rampant capitalist at the same time by releasing various vinyl versions (her biggest fans will want buy them all, especially because of the bonus tracks NOT AVAILABLE IN THE DIGITAL ALBUM) that you don't really need. The digital version should be complete and enough. But in that case she wouldn't make that much money. So SHUT UP and just make music! Ugh they are so pretentious.....

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Is she doing coloured vinyl at all? Because they're actually hella harmful to the environment, we're having major issues over these types of productions due to the ethical issues and how much harm the dying does

Ultimately, there's always going to be something thay you're consuming that's ethically wrong or damaging to the environment, so this is a lose lose situation

I’m sure she’s more worried that those CDs will stay on shelves forever, but you do you girl. I still purchase CD’s mostly to give my faves an extra sale. I’m annoying and leave them unopened so I’m essentially just donating those coins to help with chart positions :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink: I even started buying cassettes for that same reason and now an era costing me no less than $100 once I buy digital, CD, cassette, vinyl and buying multiple copies because I have OCD about it. So yeah welcome to my TedTalk :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block