This Day in Pop: Britney releases 'Boys (Co-Ed Remix)' video ft. Pharrell Williams in 2002 (June 17)

4b6d9cd7b39ab50ad284970628648c2d.jpg

On June 17, 2002, Britney Spears released the Boys (Co-Ed Remix) video featuring Pharrell Williams. Boys would later be released as the last single (in most regions) off her third studio album Britney, and it was also included in the soundtrack album Austin Powers in Goldmember: Music from the Motion Picture.

The video was directed by Dave Meyers, who had previously directed Lucky in 2000. Besides Pharrell Williams who's featured on the remix, in the video Mike Myers also guest stars as Austin Powers, and additional cameos by DJ Qualls, Jason Priestly, Justin Bruening and Taye Diggs can be seen throughout the video.

Boys was nominated at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards for Best Video from a Film, but lost to Eminem's  Lose Yourself. It landed on MTV Latin America's Top 100 of 2002 at #18.

tumblr_mfuame4LMm1qdcxoeo1_500.gif

b63a19d83ddca9b95a7d9ac1426aa9ba.gif

ImmediateJubilantDowitcher-size_restrict

• Love 1
  • 11 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 4:15 PM, Million Billion said:

The actual sound the Britney album should have followed, urban, edgy and funky not teen bubblegum pop.

Agreed! One of the things I hate about the con (it’s low on the list because obviously what they did to her mind and spirit was way worse) is how they made her into this Stepford Wife / "nice white lady" type character. So much of her magnetism was that she had this urban edge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 12:35 PM, mmseventy said:

Agreed! One of the things I hate about the con (it’s low on the list because obviously what they did to her mind and spirit was way worse) is how they made her into this Stepford Wife / "nice white lady" type character. So much of her magnetism was that she had this urban edge.

Yep. She was consistenly and gradualy evolving her sound, image and art in general. If we look (and hear ofc) her work from BOMT era to the Blackout album, they all were progressively growing. Then, the cship happened and Circus feels like an OK album but doesnt offer anything different or extra like her previous albums did. 

She was (or for some she still is) considered the madonna of our generation but I feel like she was on her way (not that she tried to copy her career) to become someone even bigger than who she was, artistically speaking. 

To this day, Im still angry and I wonder what her career would have been and sound like, had she continued releasing albums and making music projects the way she wanted, with 100% control over her work. How many gem we were robbed? How her performing skills would be today? How much impact her music would have had in other areas?

• Love 1