The time between In The Zone and Blackout

Another thread to experienced gays from me today :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

So we all know there was 4 years break between In The Zone and Blackout. She got married, had kids etc. But my questions:

• How did it feel to wait that long for a new album (Blackout)? Were u mad, annoyed?
  • How did react to her comeback and her idk not dancing (at least not that good) anymore etc? 
  • How did that time feel for Britney's fans overall?

4 years is a really long time. Any thoughts?

• How did it feel to wait that long for a new album (Blackout)? Were u mad, annoyed?

Wasn't annoyed or mad at all of course I missed her music so much! I remember listening to In the Zone so much my friends would get annoyed playing it on the CD player  lol.

• How did react to her comeback and her idk not dancing (at least not that good) anymore etc? 

When she came back, I was super excited for the album  I remember listening to Blackout for the first time  when she said the now iconic It’s Britney ***** I was so shocked! I pushed the previous or back button on the CD player so many times it was crazy! Then, it felt like almost immediately after Blackout, Circus came up. I didn’t truly get to enjoy the album Blackout until after Circus. 

As for the dancing, I was kinda sad, because she is my all time favorite singer/dancer and truly was and IS one of the greatest dancers out there of all time. I know she still got it! She just has to believe she does and find her passion again.  

• How did that time feel for Britney's fans

As a teenager, for me it wasn’t about the wait, it was the craving. I craved new Britney music and still do today. She’s my number one fav and always will be. But also time moved so fast, and being that young, I personally didn’t realize it was a 4 year gap. 

8 minutes ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

Honestly, based on what I know, it seems like she still was everywhere in those years. I miss her today because I don’t know where she is or what she’s up to or if she’s happy.

Yeah she was constantly doing interviews and staying the public eye, Britney was the most famous person alive she could sadly just stop working it seemed, I think she mentioned in stages that even on her days off she had an interview scheduled to do so she was never really off

• Like 1
  • How did it feel to wait that long for a new album (Blackout)? Were u mad, annoyed?

Well, it initially wasnt supposed to be a 4 years break, I dont even think Britney herself could anticipate everything that happened in those years. I remember her announcing through her website (omg those years where an artist used to write on his website) a break to enjoy her new marriage, vacation time, etc. She said something like "I enjoy not seeing my face on the magazine covers" but I assume she definitely wanted to come back as soon as possible after resting for a moment. As a young fan I was sad, I was a teen so a month, a year (Let alone 4 years) was an eternity.  

Well, many take the Blackout era as her comeback so when I saw the 07 vmas I was like "well, I expected more" but it definitely wasnt as bad as media made it look.

But if we talk about the Circus era when she "came back" for the 2nd time, I feel like I stayed too long expecting her to actually dance her azz off as she used to do, but we always relied on her past problems to say "ok, she will eventually give her 100%" but it never happened to date ofc. Yes, we got 2016ney and she was amazing but to be fair, the 2016 Billboard performance is a bit low on the Primeney standars. 

• How did that time feel for Britney's fans overall?

The amount of fans she lost at that time was immense. I wouldnt dare to say 50% of the fanbase but many people stopped checking on her, the gap between her and the young generation during 05 and 06 was increasing too much, then she got pregnat twice and a new generation of pop acts started emerging so she lost the appeal to people she once had. She became some kind of tabloid star.

I hope it helps, that was my perspective as a teen fan, ofc older fans at the time (or younger) may have a different perspective. :awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:

It sucked for me because those 4 years were my high school years and it was sad that my fav was "uncool" to like during my time in high school. There was so much drama that it didn't feel so long. We got GH:V1, BITM and Chaotic at that time PLUS all of the unreleased and Bsides that leaked helped too. Luckily we had Fergie, Nelly F and Gwen to give us what we needed. Also, that was when Beyonce first went solo. 

Edited by jordeezy

I’ve been a fan since 1999. I was born in 1990.

The “six-month break” after DWAD, and the two-year gap between Britney and ITZ, felt like forever. But the difference between ITZ and Blackout was irrelevant because of the drama between 2004 - 2008.

With regard to dancing, the M + M’s tour had decent reviews in that area, despite it being sort of cheap and off-the-cuff. But I was disappointed by her dancing during Circus. As mentioned by another poster, we chalked it up to nerves, but then it became obvious in the coming years that her knee injury (which she referenced after having Sean in an interview with People, I believe), medication, possible diminishing passion, etc. were to blame.

I loved how free Britney seemed in late 2002 - late 2003. She was such an adult! But I sort of felt exhausted with her after her 2004 Vegas wedding. She was just… everywhere. I hate to say it, but my 13-year-old self wasn’t even excited to see her live during the Onyx concert I attended.

I despised her relationship with Kevin and it all went to hell from there. She seemed so desperate, immature, selfish, and straight up stupid - especially when he had a pregnant girlfriend and she essentially broke up Columbus Short’s marriage in 2003. I followed her over the years, and was indeed always questioning the conservatorship and how she could thrive under such circumstances, but I wasn’t sympathetic toward her until 2019. You already know what happened then.

As a Janet Jackson and Michael Jackson and Madonna fan. I was used to these breaks, they would disappear from the public, make you miss them, then bam after the normal 4 years, they were back and refreshed and recharged..

4 years is nothing..

I had to wait 7 years for a new Janet Jackson album, and it seems like that cos Black diamond hasn't been teased due to the tours cancellation, we had a six year break for avril lavigne music. 

If you grew up in the era of the album, you're used to this. 4 years is nothing..

Some acts wait a decade to release Music. 

11 years for No doubt from rock steady to push and steady..

8 years for alanis Morissette..

It's normal. It's just with Britney she never was given the chance to disappear like the artists I mentioned. 

• Like 1

i was really immature because i was 14 in 2007. I remember saying to one of my friends, who is also a stan, that if she didn't release the new album in 2007 i would stop stanning :quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke: but then it came out and i loved it so much!

to answer the second question, i think the vma's performance was a let down for everyone. nowadays i read on here all the time that it was iconic and that the media was brutal to her, which is true, but it was a total shock for me. the last time we saw her properly performing before that was in Onyx, and going from there to vma's 2007 and then the circus era... we kept thinking next time she would dance like she used to, but that day never came. i think some fans haven't got over it yet.

• Like 1

2004 Britney was still everywhere… shortly after releasing Toxic and Everytime, she released GH:MP with a couple new songs. In summer 2005, Britney+K***n: Chaotic aired and she released Someday and Monalisa officially. Then she had her baby and we knew she was in the studio in 2006. It really didn’t feel like we went that long without her music but she was going through so much change as a married woman and a mother so we were keeping up with her in that way through the media lens instead of through the pop star lens of all the years prior. Basically, she never faded… she was always up front and center even though there was a few years without a new album.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, 2K16NEY said:

2004 Britney was still everywhere… shortly after releasing Toxic and Everytime, she released GH:MP with a couple new songs. In summer 2005, Britney+K***n: Chaotic aired and she released Someday and Monalisa officially. Then she had her baby and we knew she was in the studio in 2006. It really didn’t feel like we went that long without her music but she was going through so much change as a married woman and a mother so we were keeping up with her in that way through the media lens instead of through the pop star lens of all the years prior. Basically, she never faded… she was always up front and center even though there was a few years without a new album.

I was just going to say the same thing, because I don't remember it feeling like four years without Britney. Obviously, we had the paps following her every move so the whole world still knew where she was and what she was doing. But outside of that, as you said, we had Chaotic (show/single), My Prerogative, Someday, and Do Somethin as singles plus the Greatest Hits and B in the Mix albums. We had videos for all the singles, and didn't she do a making the video for Someday? Did I imagine that?

Even without having a new, full length album (not remixes) to promote, she was still everywhere. She did a ton of interviews (late shows, and I think Ellen and/or Oprah) during this time and appearances (e.g., MTV, red carpet for Willy Wonka with that iconic golden ticket tank) alongside K Fed because people were fascinated by her even when she wasn't working fulltime. And we had the M&Ms tour as someone mentioned. (It's early here, feel free to fact check me because I don't have the energy haha..)

The lead in to the Blackout era was an amazing time to be a fan, regardless of how it charted or what happened with performances/promo. I'm dating myself here, but I still have the CD I burned in 06/07 with all of the leaks I was able to find on Limewire. I was so eager for new content and because this was a huge time in music for leaks, I was constantly online trying to download any and every song before the album dropped. 

Until the last few years, there really were no true breaks in Britney's career. For an avid fan, there was always something you could tune into or track down that was new or reworked in terms of music and she was never truly out of the public eye (by choice and otherwise). Britney also did a lot for the fan club at this time and was incredibly candid in her letters of truth. For all the ups and downs she experienced between ITZ and Blackout, she was pretty vocal and open about her life during these years. For someone just a few years younger than Brit, I found it refreshing to watch her find her voice and speak her truth at a time in her life where she was really trying to find herself and grow as a woman. 

• Like 2
On 6/13/2021 at 5:04 PM, Look But Don't Touch said:

Another thread to experienced gays from me today :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

So we all know there was 4 years break between In The Zone and Blackout. She got married, had kids etc. But my questions:

• How did that time feel for Britney's fans overall?

4 years is a really long time. Any thoughts?

As a straight female (we exist in the Britney fan base too:kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:)…

• I was disappointed about waiting so long for new music. I remember being pissed that she was pregnant again lmao. Just because she talked up her new music in a People magazine interview in 2006 and it seemed as if we'd finally get the introspective vocal album we'd been dying for lmao. It never came. Definitely happy for her two blessings though!! Then again, we got things like Rebellion and "Little Me." And I finally joined the official fan club by then to be more in the know with her letters etc.
  • The comeback (comeback meaning '08) was kinda a weird time. Everyone kinda acted as if they didn't **** on her a year prior. I remember being excited but noticing she wasn't quite the same (understandably). The dancing was a let down but we were making up a bunch of excuses at the time (her knee, she's dancing in heels). Re: the Blackout era, it really wasn't about the music outside of the M+Ms Tour a year earlier, which was obviously separate. I think Circus is considered the "comeback."
  • Overall, I'd say it was an exciting time. The leaks! Omg the Blackout leaks were everything. But then I was disappointed that I'd heard the whole thing by the time it came out, even after it was rush-released on Oct. 30 because of the leaks. I vowed to never listen to an album leak again lol. I just read what other people said about them, which was fun.

There was never a real break and this was strange. Ok, she already worked on The Original Doll before she meets Kevin, and maybe she planned a break after the era. ( but it never came that far, she was not even allowed to release the album) But she releases GHMP as and endingen. It was published as a CD and DVD. The news was full-back then that Brit has enough of her image and wanted to let die the blond barbie girl. Before that she hurt her knee and had to premature the In The Zone era. Then she got married. But publish new music, even when she became a mother she did not really rest. She made the TV Show with Kevin, which was published as a DVD with an EP with 3 then-new songs, wrote Someday, was the director for her Do Something video,had more input. Then her first Remix album was released, with one then-new song. And Brit helped Kevin with his own carrier and sung the song "Crazy" with him. Another new song. And around 2005, she was back in the studio. There were rumors that the producer was the father of Jayden.Weird times.And until today, I can´t understand why Brit did not rest and quit work.

I was sad that I did not have a PC with a CD-Writer. Then I would have a "new" Britney album. (especially when you would count the then 3 new songs from My Prerogative and the Songs from the In The Zone DVD EP.) It was circuitous to always change the CD after one or three songs.