Alanis Morissette recorded a Britney Spears reject

On 6/11/2021 at 7:17 AM, Isla said:

Yeah this could be an error. Alanis is an alt rock singer and usually writes her own material? So it’d be very random for her to record a song originally intended for Britney.

Singer/songwriters who write their own music most of the time STILL do record occasional songs that are pitched to them. It happens often.. and a demo can very easily be shifted from one genre to another 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rik said:

The thing is, she’s been doing this since Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. It kind of fit back then? And the countless lyrics worked with Hands Clean in 2002

That song sounds like she was given a word count and wanted extra credit :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:

Like when does it stop being "music" and becomes a free amazon audible e-book session

no way do not want GIF by CBC

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, jordeezy said:

Alanis is very talented and very intelligent but I need her to be a little more "basic" like her Jagged days. 

@Alestaos

I will say, a large part of the simplicity in this writing can be attributed (at least I think) to Glenn Ballard. Courtney Love had complained a lot about him and Alanis back in 95 If I am correct; it would have been around the time Jagged Little Pill and Live Through This had an overlap in popularity. Live through this was of course sidelined by Jagged Little Pill, given its widespread universal message beyond Seattle grunge. During this time Courtney would insult Alanis. I can’t find the clip now but even in 97 I believe she joked about how Glen Ballard was Alanis’s ghost writer.

https://youtu.be/8Zlijf15YAE?t=73

Of Alanis Morissette, a singer she particularly loathes, she once told an interviewer: "The only thing that could vindicate [her] is a nervous breakdown." 

Here she is at the 95 VMAs interrupting Madonna. She talks down Alanis saying but later said she’s a good singer with pipes.

https://youtu.be/hyMp1T72n20

The thing is Alanis was a pop singer in Canada prior to realizing she was over it. She moved to California I believe, which is where she felt the creativity and was pushed by Glenn to be as vulnerable as she had always wanted to be. Anger, pain, emotion, it was all there on Jagged Little Pill. 

https://youtu.be/GdJdWrONi2Q

People in the rock community thought this was grounds for making fun of Alanis. Around the celebrity skin era in 97/98, Courtney specifically backtracked on these comments though, stating the following: 

“At first I was like, *exhales* about the whole alanis thing but I kinda got over it in a big way because I think it’s made it a lot easier for us… the good news about it is it increases the female dollar”

Alanis was in a way, pretty influenced by Glenn. He definitely was a huge factor of the simplicity in these songs, co-writing and co-composing every track including the demos. Alanis did not collaborate with him again, from my understanding. After the jagged tour wrapped. She went off to India after feeling massively depressed on the road. That is when she started to really write alt rock songs on her own, heavily influenced by spirituality.

she returned prior to infatuation junkie with a song for the city of angels soundtrack (also featuring feelin love by Paula Cole, Britney’s fav song)

Ballard has commented on why they did not collaborate after this if I remember correctly, stating Alanis was larger than jagged little pill and was always going to do something different. 

This can explain why Supposed Infatuation Junkie sounds different from Jagged little Pill, both lyrically and sonically. Ballard got her to step out of her comfort zone and allowed her to become an alt rock artist.  But he was just the starting point for her. 

https://youtu.be/OOgpT5rEKIU

https://youtu.be/yBacZDDjScg

alanis is from where I grew up and even had an apartment here for many years. Her parents, grandparents and twin still live in downtown.  Her apartment in Canada was featured on MTV cribs in 2005. It was sold in 2016.

Plus Alanis is one of the few females that have Produced an entire album themselves.  

Under rug swept started with someone else, but just like Sheryl Crow (though Sheryl unlike alanis Morissette hardly wrote by herself, with one to 3 additional writers) , but Sheryl and alanis proved they can produce an entire album themselves. 

Sheryl crow did her last two 90s albums herself after a falling out with Bill cottrell for 1996's Sheryl crow and The globe sessions. 

Alanis did 2002's Under rug swept and feast on scraps (left over tracks from under rug swept) all by herself..

Both did it to prove that they can do what men can do and most women in Rock n roll can't, helm projects themselves..

However you never hear them of selling out which is what happened to Liz Phair when she worked with the Matrix for her self titled era. 

I mean to go from indie darling who was praised for her rawness take on men in exile from guyville to being dubbed a sell out before she turned 40 when she got the biggest hit of her career with why can't I. 

2 hours ago, BringTheAction said:

Singer/songwriters who write their own music most of the time STILL do record occasional songs that are pitched to them. It happens often.. and a demo can very easily be shifted from one genre to another 

Yeah I wasn’t saying that’s not the case, but with someone like Alanis it seems unlikely.

43 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Plus Alanis is one of the few females that have Produced an entire album themselves.  

Under rug swept started with someone else, but just like Sheryl Crow (though Sheryl unlike alanis Morissette hardly wrote by herself, with one to 3 additional writers) , but Sheryl and alanis proved they can produce an entire album themselves. 

Sheryl crow did her last two 90s albums herself after a falling out with Bill cottrell for 1996's Sheryl crow and The globe sessions. 

Alanis did 2002's Under rug swept and feast on scraps (left over tracks from under rug swept) all by herself..

Both did it to prove that they can do what men can do and most women in Rock n roll can't, helm projects themselves..

However you never hear them of selling out which is what happened to Liz Phair when she worked with the Matrix for her self titled era. 

I mean to go from indie darling who was praised for her rawness take on men in exile from guyville to being dubbed a sell out before she turned 40 when she got the biggest hit of her career with why can't I. 

Ugh I have exile in guyville and I just can’t get as into the other stuff 

I totally agree that alanis and Sheryl crow can produce. Did you know all of sheryl’s original material was lost in that universal fire back in 08 I think? 

also have you ever heard of her 1992 unreleased debut album that she didn’t like 

25 minutes ago, Rik said:

Ugh I have exile in guyville and I just can’t get as into the other stuff 

I totally agree that alanis and Sheryl crow can produce. Did you know all of sheryl’s original material was lost in that universal fire back in 08 I think? 

also have you ever heard of her 1992 unreleased debut album that she didn’t like 

I know her masters was lost. I wish someone would do an article about it, because the New York times article exposed how bad it actually was compared to the spun that universal Music group.

Janet's iconic albums Control and Rhythm nation can never be remastered.

I'm grateful Garbage didn't suffer that hard ship as they were an independent act that had their masters in Wisconsin at their studio where Nirvana's iconic Nevermind was made. As Butch Vig was the producer of that album before starting his band. 

1 minute ago, Spicechinodiva said:

I know her masters was lost. I wish someone would do an article about it, because the New York times article exposed how bad it actually was compared to the spun that universal Music group.

Janet's iconic albums Control and Rhythm nation can never be remastered.

I'm grateful Garbage didn't suffer that hard ship as they were an independent act that had their masters in Wisconsin at their studio where Nirvana's iconic Nevermind was made. As Butch Vig was the producer of that album before starting his band. 

UMG covered it up sooooooooo well and ensured everyone that their masters were fine for the most part. I know Hole and other groups all gathered together for a lawsuit but because UMG is so powerful they could not be messed with and found a way to twist the narrative. Something just doesn’t make sense about any of this though. 

I have an original pressing of control on vinyl. 

4 minutes ago, DougFrmBrazil said:

So? Just because I can write my own songs I’m not allowed to sing a song that has already written? What if I like the lyrics?

I see Alanis like Mariah Carey, Mariah came out and denounced her own Disney song cos she didn't have any input, so for songwriters it's a little bit more difficult than you think. 

If you think about it, it's no secret Britney spears actually kept losing the songs she wrote in favor of more polished hits. 

That has to be like bad for your self esteem, I can only imagine cos that could make anybody upset that nobody believes in their artistry or want to hear what they feel. 

@lustwecantcontrol

@iAlwaysSingLive

Watch interviews with Shirley Manson. her first rock band Angel fish, she basically said I'm singing the songs, but I didn't feel like I belong, like I do with Garbage, it's like you can be heard but you don't believe in it. 

She rewrote Queer and half of the songs on the debut album and added Milk and Stupid girl to the album

Removing the male ***ual lyrics in queer and taking about being an outsider and weird but true to themselves led that song to become an LGBTQ anthem. 

Shirley is grateful but said it was a song for everybody who's an outcast in society, but as your not so typical gay icon, coming from the rock music world, I'll take it anyway. Cos it's rare to not be pop Music and finding yourself in the league with Madonna and others who felt the same way you did growing up. 

11 hours ago, Rik said:

@Alestaos

I will say, a large part of the simplicity in this writing can be attributed (at least I think) to Glenn Ballard. Courtney Love had complained a lot about him and Alanis back in 95 If I am correct; it would have been around the time Jagged Little Pill and Live Through This had an overlap in popularity. Live through this was of course sidelined by Jagged Little Pill, given its widespread universal message beyond Seattle grunge. During this time Courtney would insult Alanis. I can’t find the clip now but even in 97 I believe she joked about how Glen Ballard was Alanis’s ghost writer.

https://youtu.be/8Zlijf15YAE?t=73

Of Alanis Morissette, a singer she particularly loathes, she once told an interviewer: "The only thing that could vindicate [her] is a nervous breakdown." 

Here she is at the 95 VMAs interrupting Madonna. She talks down Alanis saying but later said she’s a good singer with pipes.

https://youtu.be/hyMp1T72n20

The thing is Alanis was a pop singer in Canada prior to realizing she was over it. She moved to California I believe, which is where she felt the creativity and was pushed by Glenn to be as vulnerable as she had always wanted to be. Anger, pain, emotion, it was all there on Jagged Little Pill. 

https://youtu.be/GdJdWrONi2Q

People in the rock community thought this was grounds for making fun of Alanis. Around the celebrity skin era in 97/98, Courtney specifically backtracked on these comments though, stating the following: 

“At first I was like, *exhales* about the whole alanis thing but I kinda got over it in a big way because I think it’s made it a lot easier for us… the good news about it is it increases the female dollar”

Alanis was in a way, pretty influenced by Glenn. He definitely was a huge factor of the simplicity in these songs, co-writing and co-composing every track including the demos. Alanis did not collaborate with him again, from my understanding. After the jagged tour wrapped. She went off to India after feeling massively depressed on the road. That is when she started to really write alt rock songs on her own, heavily influenced by spirituality.

she returned prior to infatuation junkie with a song for the city of angels soundtrack (also featuring feelin love by Paula Cole, Britney’s fav song)

Ballard has commented on why they did not collaborate after this if I remember correctly, stating Alanis was larger than jagged little pill and was always going to do something different. 

This can explain why Supposed Infatuation Junkie sounds different from Jagged little Pill, both lyrically and sonically. Ballard got her to step out of her comfort zone and allowed her to become an alt rock artist.  But he was just the starting point for her. 

https://youtu.be/OOgpT5rEKIU

https://youtu.be/yBacZDDjScg

alanis is from where I grew up and even had an apartment here for many years. Her parents, grandparents and twin still live in downtown.  Her apartment in Canada was featured on MTV cribs in 2005. It was sold in 2016.

This was an insightful read thanks for sharing! Idk much about her history but I know that Britney respects and loves Alanis since she covered You Oughtta Know and it was the most “alive” she looked in any of her performances from that tour ♥️

I love Ironic too and the one that was remixed for Devil Wears Prada film. I wonder if the broadway show inspired by her songs is any good though 🤔 

15 minutes ago, BringTheAction said:

Did you know she did basically bubblegum pop before alt rock?

I’m well aware, but that doesn’t mean that Alanis would have recorded this song all of a sudden. You must obviously have proof she actually recorded this song? 

4 hours ago, bas che said:

This was an insightful read thanks for sharing! Idk much about her history but I know that Britney respects and loves Alanis since she covered You Oughtta Know and it was the most “alive” she looked in any of her performances from that tour ♥️

I love Ironic too and the one that was remixed for Devil Wears Prada film. I wonder if the broadway show inspired by her songs is any good though 🤔 

If course! I’m glad my post could give some insight on her musical journey. And yes! I absolutely love her Crazy cover from devil wears prada

I have been interviewing and chatting with several songwriters for my podcast and often times a few have mentioned that Someone wrongly attributes a song to an artist. My most recent episode I talk with Shelly Peiken and we talk about a song that was never recorded for or sent to or pitched a to Britney. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JamesRodriguez said:

I have been interviewing and chatting with several songwriters for my podcast and often times a few have mentioned that Someone wrongly attributes a song to an artist. My most recent episode I talk with Shelly Peiken and we talk about a song that was never recorded for or sent to or pitched a to Britney. 

Father’s Eyes?