Geri Halliwell's solo debut album "Schizophonic" was released, 22 years ago..

When Geri Halliwell said P.S. I'll be back she meant it big time..

In June of 1999 roughly one year after leaving the Spice girls just a week ahead of their 40 Date north American sold out Spiceworld trek. 

She released "Schizophonic" her debut album.

Probably the gayest album of the Spice solo albums is perhaps why in a British poll and LGBT British media, she was awarded and honored as the biggest gay icon out of her girl group. 

First single Look at Me, started off strong in the UK, but couldn't peak higher than #2, initial sales of the album started off strong, but Started to wane. 

Look at Me video is perhaps best remembered as critics joked the funeral scene of Ginger Spice probably was a parents worst nightmare as the kids were having bad dreams of Geri "Killing" off Ginger.  

However once sales in the UK, started to slip as Mentioned in Pod of the Pops, Openly gay comedian Aaron Twitchen, brilliantly said 

"Probably in a board meeting at EMI and parlophone, Geri said you guys got the whole marketing strategy wrong. 

Market the album to the gays, watch it be huge"

She was right.  3 number one singles followed, and two huge chart battles with Emma Bunton and Melanie C resulted in her former band mates settling for #2 in the singles charts. 

The videos are even aimed at gay men, particularly the Campy "Bag it up"

The album sold close to a million albums in the UK alone with a triple platinum cert, it's also gold in the US and peaked with in the top 50 of the US Billboard 200, making it in the states the most successful spice girls solo album .

In the UK, it would outsell the Spice girls 2000 album " Forever", it's still beloved and in some degrees dubbed by fans as the proper 3rd Spice girls album. 

She worked with Absolute who is one half of the girls 90s hit making production team. 

As a Bonus, watch Geri outperform and steal her former girl group at the 2000 Brits. 

The British media stated her former group was receiving the nights highest honor, but it was Geri who delivered the best performance of the night. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

I’m surprised Schizophonic outsold forever by the Spice Girls. It was probably a good decision for her to leave when she did. It gave her a bit of solo glory and she didn’t really miss much given that the last album didn’t really produce any hit singles globally. 

Holler was a bop though, it was a moderate hit here in Mexico :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

1 minute ago, PokemonSpears said:

Holler was a bop though, it was a moderate hit here in Mexico :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

It only flopped in the US, even in Canada forever peaked at #6 and went double platinum. 

If you go by the charts and stuff it was really in the US did the third Spice girls album underperformed. 

When Victoria said it was a hit, it was just not in the US. 

• Like 1

I was such a big fan of Geri at the time.She was my favorite Spice Girl (along with Victoria,but her album was terrible. I never heard it again after that.but still have it.should listen in again.Sounded very cheap.) I even had her calendar on the wall and my then best friend gave me her second album on cassette as a gift when she came back from vacation.

Geri Halliwell shaded her band mates..

Mel B gets the first read..

Everybody knows she played the tipping point in Geri leaving 

Big mouth, big money

"You Bish, you ain't that funny.

Got somehow to burn and love to waste 

It's a social climb to big bad taste. 

Poor Emma..

"RICH BISH, SUGAR DADDY

WHIZZ KID, CITY BOYS

JET SETTING GO GETTING WITH GROWN UP TOYS 

HEART-BREAKING MONEY MAKING, EARTH QUAKING, LOVE FAKING. 

WHERE'S YOUR HEART?

DID YOU SELL THAT TOO?

posh spice gets read next..

"Paranoid star lover

You talk rich and that's your cover

The more you get, the more you chase.

Wipe that Prada smile from that rawed up face..

Here's Sporty verse of shade.

Dressed up messed up 

Green eyed sycophant 

Pushy mother, lost brother.

In real hot pants

Heart breaking, money making. 

Hot headed fool 

Get your own way. 

Divide and rule. 

Damn she threw a palm tree at thegirls. .

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block