Where Are You Now written for Denniz Pop Death?

As you may know behind the Cheiron team there was Denniz Pop who also produced ...Baby One More Time (Britney dedicated to him the Best Song award at European Music Awards 1999 even if he wasn't credited in the single/album).

Denniz Pop died in August 1998 and after Denniz Pop death the Cheiron producers where morally distroyed and right after the funeral they wrote Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely (Backstreet Boys).

They also wrote A Little Bit (Jessica Folker) and probably at this point we can say that Where Are You Now could have been written/recorded right in that period.

In November 1998 a ...Baby One More Time album "promo" cd was sent to Jive Records in November 1998 and included Where Are You Now.

In the final album tracklist Where Are You Now then replaced by I Will Be There, and released as we all know on Oops!...I Did It Again album.

What do you think about this theory? The song is pretty sad. Yes it could be a love song...but I think they really took inspiration for the death of their production team mate.

• Like 1

It's actually a solid theory. The composition timeline and the Cheiron team behind it all makes sense.

We won't ever get to the bottom of it though because there is close to zero info on the recording background / origin context of this song. Which unfort is understandable because it is, in my opinion, one of the greatest forgotten songs of Britney's career. 

Always interesting to me was how it was recorded for BOMT but sounds too mature for the debut album; it fit perfectly into the OIDIA era.

• Like 7

Actually even Cheiron documentary doesn't mention Where Are You Now as song written for Denniz Pop but I think it's because they just mention the songs released as singles.

They say they recorded 8 songs for Baby One More Time album

But most of those documentary shocks me a little bit because when they talk about Britney they don't really talk about her being talented. I remember a backing vocalist saying something like "I didn't see the talent when she was recording, but when I saw the video I was impressed".

The backing vocalist is Jeannete Soderholm, who did Crazy, I Will Be There and Where Are You Now. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FiercePop said:

But most of those documentary shocks me a little bit because when they talk about Britney they don't really talk about her being talented. I remember a backing vocalist saying something like "I didn't see the talent when she was recording, but when I saw the video I was impressed".

Ha I think that's because this was one of her first studio recording experiences and what later became the distinctive Britney "sound" wasn't fully formed yet. Also I recall she was very nervous. I mean it's understandable, she was a 16 yr old nobody who got flown out to another country to work with music professionals in their 30s.

Thanks for the documentary link, I ended up watching the whole thing, it was great.

3 minutes ago, sunny_liston said:

Ha I think that's because this was one of her first studio recording experiences and what later became the distinctive Britney "sound" wasn't fully formed yet. Also I recall she was very nervous. I mean it's understandable, she was a 16 yr old nobody who got flown out to another country to work with music professionals in their 30s.

Thanks for the documentary link, I ended up watching the whole thing, it was great.

To me she sounds bitter considering Britney’s vocals were amazing during the BOMT era. The range and control she had at 16 was astounding 

• Like 2
On 6/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, sunny_liston said:

Yep it's very interesting to see what's behind the biggest hits of late 90s/00.

Also u see faces of all producers and writers of her best early songs...they always try to be stay behind the scenes as they say in the documentary

• Super Mods
13 hours ago, JackSProductions said:

She was, she had just gotten out of a relationship. There’s a clip of her talking about recording the song on some radio interview, I’ll try find it.

Oh really?

Wow. I definitely wanna see that clip.

Let me know if u find it please cause I wanna see it

• Like 1
14 hours ago, JackSProductions said:

She was, she had just gotten out of a relationship. There’s a clip of her talking about recording the song on some radio interview, I’ll try find it.

I'd like to see it too, so thank you for mentioning it and share it here when you do, please!

• 8 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 11:51 PM, ZoneGirl said:

I'd like to see it too, so thank you for mentioning it and share it here when you do, please!

On 6/6/2021 at 10:39 PM, princessmimi said:

Oh really?

Wow. I definitely wanna see that clip.

Let me know if u find it please cause I wanna see it

Really late reply but I posted it on my Instagram the other day!

• Love 2
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, JackSProductions said:

Really late reply but I posted it on my Instagram the other day!

Thank you! Where can we hear the full interview?

And that's interesting because the label seemed to go through great lengths to hide that she ever had a boyfriend back home. Wasn't WAYN originally recorded for BOMT?

EDIT: the first post answered my question! I thought I'd heard that before. Confirmed!

• Love 1